law and order

Questions about FantasyTSP or suggestions for improvements should be directed here.

Moderator: Aitrus

crondanet5

law and order

Post by crondanet5 »

When reviewing the game moves of some of the leaders, I note you allow multiple allocation moves in the month. Isn't this following the old TSP rules as opposed to current trading restrictions? Would it not be better to have your fantasy game conform to today's TSP rules to avoid a player making a real TSP allocation thinking they had more that they could make, then get told (as I was, last month) that they have used up their 2 allocations for the month? The game should mirror the real TSP program and teach players how to better manage their accounts by following how other players change their allowed 2 allocations. Wouldn't this be more accurate and a better fantasy for all?

TSPking
Site Admin

Post by TSPking »

crondanet5,

Absolutely. I agree 100% and have intended on making this happen. To be honest, I've been slow in implementing this rule because of technical complexities involved with limiting transfers to the G Fund after the two unlimited trades. If it was an all or nothing (go 100% G Fund on third trade), this would be easy. But the rule allows for unlimited transfers to G.

A scenario to clarify what I'm describing could be a member facing his third trade holds 50% C, 50% S. If he wants to move 10% to G, how should I handle forcing the remaining holdings to be C/S with no more than 50% in one?

I do have a solution for this that I've been thinking about which involves handling this at the Change Allocation screen. It would basically put a minus-sign button next to each fund you hold which when clicked will increase your G holding by 1% while decreasing that fund's holding by 1%. But I've been curious as to how the official TSP handles this situation. I haven't tried making a third trade since the new rule took affect so I don't know.

I would appreciate it if someone could explain how the official TSP forces this rule.
TSPking

It's a gift...and a curse ~ Adrian Monk

tspgo

Re: law and order

Post by tspgo »

crondanet5 wrote:When reviewing the game moves of some of the leaders, I note you allow multiple allocation moves in the month. Isn't this following the old TSP rules as opposed to current trading restrictions? Would it not be better to have your fantasy game conform to today's TSP rules to avoid a player making a real TSP allocation thinking they had more that they could make, then get told (as I was, last month) that they have used up their 2 allocations for the month? The game should mirror the real TSP program and teach players how to better manage their accounts by following how other players change their allowed 2 allocations. Wouldn't this be more accurate and a better fantasy for all?

You are allowed to perform two (2) Interfund Transfers as you please. You can go to any fund or any combination of funds. Once you have performed your two IFT's you will be allowed to make as many IFT's as you please but only to the G-Fund. Everything resets to zero the first of each month.

I would suggest anybody using FantasyTSP to make their IFT in www.tsp.gov first. If it goes through, then enter it in FantasyTSP. Their FantasyTSP should be a mirror image of the moves in their actual account. If someone is entering more than two IFT's into stocks per month, it makes no sense and I doubt it serves any practical purpose.

Good observation Cronddanet5!

snaffu

Post by snaffu »

I hope this issue can get resolved. I understand that this is an unrestricted site, and alternative strategies are explored and encouraged. However with that being said, I am sure that most of us, myself included, use these tools as a true measure of our TSP performance. But there are a few that seem to use this site as a playground without any regard for the rules of TSP now that the new trade restrictions have been implemented.

I know this isn’t a race but it still feel s good when an IFT not only make a financial gain, allow you to pass someone ahead of you. On the flip side, when someone else makes a move and passes me, I look to see what I missed and try not to make the same mistake again. But to find out that you were passed up by someone that I would call cheating in today’s TSP world (i.e. day trading). It feels similar to standing in a long checkout line when someone else cuts in front of you and flips YOU off because you’re in THEIR way. IMHO. As I’m writing this, a day trader has made his/her 7th trade for 7 trading days this month.

Since I have this soapbox already rented, could someone explain why a person would load 100% into G Fund and never leave?? There must be something to it that I am missing, because at rough count there are 40-ish people that joined and have never ventured out into the TSP waters. PSSssst.. you get 5% a year.. Just look at G HOLD..

Ok.. I feel better now.. Guess I just needed to vent.

Pro-Trader

Post by Pro-Trader »

For the most part, I agree with you... however, in the end, it doesn't matter to me regarding where I place in the standings. It's been nice to lead the pack; but, I rather make smart decisions regarding my trades than be concerned with any standings. If members want to trade their fantasy TSP account everyday, then so be it! If they can do better than my limited trades, then it proves that we should be allowed make trades as desired.

Regarding the number of accounts in G fund -- I don't think they are active. I don't know if there is any way to determine when the last time members logged on; however, perhaps they could be listed as inactive after a period of time and removed after a 2nd period of time. As long as the time periods are reasonable and exceptions when warranted (deployments, extended TDY's, etc...) :P

Go Green!
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TSPking
Site Admin

Post by TSPking »

I'm going to try to get the IFT limits in place by Oct. 01. I'm still a little unclear how TSP.gov actually handles this. Do they let you put in a third allocation change outside of G Fund and then just don't commit it, or do they give you an error message when you try to make the allocation change?
TSPking

snaffu

Post by snaffu »

At the moment I'm 100% F and have used my 2 IFT's for this month. I'll try incremental moves to G over the next few days and I'll let you know of the results..

Snaffu

ZME_ARTCC

What is a Fantasy

Post by ZME_ARTCC »

I agree with Pro-Trader. This is FantasyTSP not a TSP Tracker.
I do conform to the TSP.GOV rules for my trades, but just as Pro-Trade said, If anyone can beat the ones that adhear to the rules then that is good reason to question TSP.GOV on their rules.
TSPKing may what to create a separate section for unlimited traders so we can have a clear view as to which method would be better for all of us.
You may even what to allow members to have an account in each area, so they could compare their own methods for investing.

ZME_ARTCC
Thank You!

ReubZee

Re: law and order

Post by ReubZee »

tspgo wrote:You are allowed to perform two (2) Interfund Transfers as you please. You can go to any fund or any combination of funds. Once you have performed your two IFT's you will be allowed to make as many IFT's as you please but only to the G-Fund. Everything resets to zero the first of each month.

I would suggest anybody using FantasyTSP to make their IFT in www.tsp.gov first. If it goes through, then enter it in FantasyTSP. Their FantasyTSP should be a mirror image of the moves in their actual account. If someone is entering more than two IFT's into stocks per month, it makes no sense and I doubt it serves any practical purpose.

Good observation Cronddanet5!

When I read about the new rule and heard the Board talking about it I came away with this impression. You get two IFTs per month. The only way you get a third is if you go 100% G fund. But thats the way I read it. Early this month I went 100% I Fund and then 100% G fund. That was my two so I think I'm stuck. I might test the system later this month and see what happens.

TspGo, I totally agree that we should make our IFTs on the www.tsp.gov site first then enter into FantasyTsp. While there might be the ability to make more IFTs than allowed, in reality, there is no point to do so. I think the majority of people on this site are federal employees with a TSP account and use this site to mirror that account.

Now there is a minority that might be using this site to track trading outside of the TSP. If you are investing in the index funds Wilshire 4500, S&P 500, or the EAFE then this site is excellent for that. I have actually thought about doing just that.

The tools on this site are the best I've seen. I could care less about what rank I'm in. I care whether my percent return is red or green. Right now its the wrong color!!!!! :oops: Thats my spiel.

Reuben

snaffu

Post by snaffu »

snaffu wrote:At the moment I'm 100% F and have used my 2 IFT's for this month. I'll try incremental moves to G over the next few days and I'll let you know of the results..

Snaffu

I have completed my 3rd and 4th IFT for this month. (G 20% / F 80%) and (G 25% / F 75%) respectivly;

So it looks like as long as you move into G and not another fund, there are no restrictions.

Hope this helps.

Pvt. Snaffu

TSPking
Site Admin

Post by TSPking »

Thanks Snaffu. I'm holding off on this issue until the results of the poll are in: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=167
TSPking

TSPking
Site Admin

Post by TSPking »

If you try to move into anything other than G Fund after making two IFTs in a month, you get the following error at www.tsp.gov:

The following errors have been encountered:

Because you have already executed two interfund transfers this month, you are eligible to transfer your money from the F, C, S, I and L Funds only to the G Fund. You cannot transfer among the other funds until after noon eastern time on the last business day of this month. Click here for more information. If you would like to make an IFT request into the G Fund, please re-enter your request.
TSPking

Fund Prices2024-04-17

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.25%
F $18.68 0.50% -2.85%
C $78.62 -0.58% 5.72%
S $76.27 -0.89% -1.07%
I $40.66 -0.17% 1.19%
L2065 $15.60 -0.47% 3.17%
L2060 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2055 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2050 $31.39 -0.35% 2.57%
L2045 $14.34 -0.33% 2.47%
L2040 $52.43 -0.31% 2.41%
L2035 $13.87 -0.28% 2.31%
L2030 $46.25 -0.25% 2.24%
L2025 $12.93 -0.12% 1.78%
Linc $25.29 -0.09% 1.55%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".