Seasonal Calculator Launch

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

What should I work on next?

IFT alerts to e-mail/SMS
29%
Mobile website
59%
Blog (with "how it works": math explained, cal days vs trading days, etc.)
13%

Total votes: 192

evilanne

Re: Seasonal Calculator Launch

Post by evilanne »

I've used pay pal on websites before but usually there is some type of secure form I enter info into. How do you send to an email address?

puxavida

Post by puxavida »

evilanne wrote:I've used pay pal on websites before but usually there is some type of secure form I enter info into. How do you send to an email address?

Log into PayPal, select "Pay or send money", then select "Send money to friends". At that point it will ask you to enter the email address.

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Thanks guys, that helps a lot.

Here is a screenshot of what's to come. This leaderboard is sorted from highest average %. I can also sort it from highest compound %. You can click on the leaderboard rows to load that calculation.

I also think I'm going to add a "Market Exposure" % to the calcuations which shows how much time you spend in C, S, I as opposed to G and F. I would also put this in the leaderboard. That way, people may choose a strategy that has slightly lower returns but less market exposure.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

nrialto

Post by nrialto »

For anyone who is interested, here is a table of the 2017 trading days in calendar format. Figure it would make it easier to calculate the correct trading day of your own Daily Seasonal Strategy. And thanks again to mjedlin66 for all the work on his system.

http://www.swingtradesystems.com/tradin ... ndars.html

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

The next update is a few days out.

1. Leaderboard.
2. %time in C, S, I.
3. Better error checking
4. No more "start fund" dropdown. Start fund is now the fund you are in at COB December 31st.
5. Autocorrect (for instance, if you enter a 2nd IFT but not a 1st IFT, the calculator will move it into the 1st IFT column).
6. Maybe 2017 YTD. Maybe.

Ofsthun01

Post by Ofsthun01 »

Exciting stuff, can't wait!
Your Free Financial Advisor. Zero trading costs
https://www.wisebanyan.com/referral/92F0PFFWI

ValleyGirl

Post by ValleyGirl »

Interesting.

Jokerswild

Post by Jokerswild »

mjedlin66 wrote:The leaderboard is working on the developer side. I need to refine it some more before I update. There will also be a lot of other updates coming at the same time which may seem minor but were actually major logistical hurdles. Each month will now only show the maximum number of trading days for that month, for instance. There will no longer be a "start fund" option because now the calculator will look at the fund you are in at the end of December and use it effective January 1st. Other things as well.

I really don't expect to make money off of this website, but I would appreciate it if we could muster enough $5 donations together so I can buy two or three years of hosting and forget about it. I have put over 40 hours into this but so far only 2 out of 588 unique visitors have donated through paypal. $5 is less than the cost of lunch, but it means a whole lot to someone like me who is volunteering their free time. Please consider sending $5 to mjedlin66@gmail.com on paypal.

I'll continue my work. 2017 YTD calculation is up next after I publish the leaderboard, and it may be as simple as one line of code.

Thanks
-Matt

Sent $10 bucks today, completely worth it because all these efforts you're putting into this is giving seasoned and new investors a guideline to maximizing their accounts. Granted nobody can 100% predict and time IFTs perfectly, but observing your original daily strategy, it's handling very well :mrgreen:
Shawn AKA "Joker"

"How many millionaires do you know who have become wealthy by investing in savings accounts? I rest my case." - Robert G. Allen

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

I really appreciate all of the donations.

After this update, there may be no new features for a while. As the calculator gets more robust, the code is getting more complicated. Every time I add something, it seems to break something else. I will get this update done and then spend a couple of months just re-writing this code to make it more organized and less prone to problems. That way, it will be a lot easier to modify in the future.

Basically, my lack of expertise in programming is driving me bonkers.

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

But figuring it out is half the fun, isn't it? That's what I ran into over and over again with my spreadsheet. Heck, I'm still making small tweaks and improvements even to this day.
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
Support the site by purchasing a membership at TSPCalc! https://tspcalc.com

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Aitrus wrote:But figuring it out is half the fun, isn't it? That's what I ran into over and over again with my spreadsheet. Heck, I'm still making small tweaks and improvements even to this day.

Sure it is. But now I am trying to restructure a database toward something a lot more streamlined. Looking back, the way I set up the database in the beginning was really short-sighted, and I'm paying for it now trying to get it to where it should be. Same with the code. The way that I should have written it becomes clearer every day, so I will slowly work toward that end.

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Have fun. Don't break it.

http://tspcalc.com

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

My primary goal now is to stay in tune with what the market is actually doing, by determine the ongoing strength of the funds. However each IFT is an attempt at managing the risk/reward relationship. And with that being said, I feel any IFT counter to this and Aitrus’s system should have an extra good reason. IMHO smart timing is really about establishing an intelligent set of probabilities. And these two should be high on everyone’s list.
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

mmmmmbeer

Post by mmmmmbeer »

mjedlin66 wrote:Have fun. Don't break it.

http://tspcalc.com

No promises!
Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

I like the percentage time in the market...gives you some idea of the level of risk. It appears that it is actually the same or less risky than the most followed seasonal mixes. Matt's original mix is 60.40% in stock funds; all of the ones on the leader board are higher # 2592 is only slightly higher @ 60.80%. http://tspcalc.com/seasonal.php?ID=4652 ... -TSPcenter is a little higher than MJ's original. Something folks may want to consider when choosing a mix. TSP Center is the least risky of the mixes with overall expected return of >10%

Fund Prices2024-04-17

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.25%
F $18.68 0.50% -2.85%
C $78.62 -0.58% 5.72%
S $76.27 -0.89% -1.07%
I $40.66 -0.17% 1.19%
L2065 $15.60 -0.47% 3.17%
L2060 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2055 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2050 $31.39 -0.35% 2.57%
L2045 $14.34 -0.33% 2.47%
L2040 $52.43 -0.31% 2.41%
L2035 $13.87 -0.28% 2.31%
L2030 $46.25 -0.25% 2.24%
L2025 $12.93 -0.12% 1.78%
Linc $25.29 -0.09% 1.55%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".