Seasonal Calculator Launch

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

What should I work on next?

IFT alerts to e-mail/SMS
29%
Mobile website
59%
Blog (with "how it works": math explained, cal days vs trading days, etc.)
13%

Total votes: 192

mmmmmbeer

Re: Seasonal Calculator Launch

Post by mmmmmbeer »

I'd say email is easier. I'm sure almost everyone gets email notification on their phone as well. With the email I can make it a "priority" or manipulate it etc.
Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.

Midway

Post by Midway »

mindofmush wrote:Great system!!!
...now I need to figure out how to print out the calendar pages.

Let me know when you figure out how to print the calendar! I can only get black and white prints.

mmmmmbeer

Post by mmmmmbeer »

Midway wrote:

Let me know when you figure out how to print the calendar! I can only get black and white prints.

Easiest is just to screenshot it. Paste it into and use "Paint" to crop it, and then paste it in a horizontal Word .doc.

Print... what I usually do is screenshot the returns page and both calendars.. paste all three and print.
Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.

upsydaisy2

Post by upsydaisy2 »

mmmmmbeer wrote:
Midway wrote:

Easiest is just to screenshot it. Paste it into and use "Paint" to crop it, and then paste it in a horizontal Word .doc.

Print... what I usually do is screenshot the returns page and both calendars.. paste all three and print.

This is great. I didn't know what you meant by screenshot, so I googled it. I learned something new. Normally, I would highlight what I want to print; copy, paste into a Word doc, adjust the margins, landscape/portrait, and print. Screenshot is much better, did the seasonal calculator and both calendars all separately and enlarged them. Thank you.

Timber82

Post by Timber82 »

MJedlin,

Just curious as to what your background is, do you have previous experience hosting websites? I am also curious about whats going on in the background of the website, is it some sort of HTML ported to Excel or Access, you may see quickly I have no idea what I am talking about on that but I am very proficient in Excel and learning Access as we speak. I am kicking around the idea of doing something similar to what you have done but running a simulation that instead of being user submitted, I would make the simulation run through every possible scenario over every trading day. Again my excel skills are very far off from this and I may be way you of my league just day dreaming as I would like to also try porting this over to non TSP funds (I.E. Vanguard funds mimicking the TSP).

Edit, no worries if you aren't comfortable sharing, just would be cool to have a headstart.
Last edited by Timber82 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmmmmbeer

Post by mmmmmbeer »

upsydaisy2 wrote:This is great. I didn't know what you meant by screenshot, so I googled it. I learned something new. Normally, I would highlight what I want to print; copy, paste into a Word doc, adjust the margins, landscape/portrait, and print. Screenshot is much better, did the seasonal calculator and both calendars all separately and enlarged them. Thank you.

Absolutely.. glad it helped. :D

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Based on poll results, IFT alerts will support e-mail and SMS to major US carriers. Most big carriers have a webserver that I can e-mail that they then relay to their customer as SMS. These are free to use and relatively straightforward for me to program. If your cell phone carrier does not have this feature available, then I cannot SMS to them. There is a way to SMS everybody, but I have to hire that out as a service and I am not going to do that.

So to reiterate: IFT alerts will support email and SMS to carriers that support email-to-SMS.

New poll for feature prioritization.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

raymonster

Post by raymonster »

mjedlin66 wrote:Based on poll results, IFT alerts will support e-mail and SMS to major US carriers. Most big carriers have a webserver that I can e-mail that they then relay to their customer as SMS. These are free to use and relatively straightforward for me to program. If your cell phone carrier does not have this feature available, then I cannot SMS to them. There is a way to SMS everybody, but I have to hire that out as a service and I am not going to do that.

So to reiterate: IFT alerts will support email and SMS to carriers that support email-to-SMS.

New poll for feature prioritization.

mjedlin66,

There is a site called nowinstock that sends out product in-stock alerts via email and sms using Google groups. I'm sure setting up an IFT alert system similar to this would be very simple.

https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/ ... alerts.php

Code: Select all

If you have never joined a Google Group before or do not already have a Google Account with the email address you want alerts sent to, then you must create an account.

1. Visit the Group: http://groups.google.com/group/nowinstocknet-snes-classic-edition
2. Click Join group under the group name -OR- Click Sign In in the upper right.
3. If you already have a Google Account with the specific email address you want alerts sent to, then you can move to the next step. If not, you will need to create a new Google Account with the email address you want alerts sent to. In other words, make sure that your Google Account login/email is the specific email address you want to receive alerts at. If you want alerts sent to your mobile device, follow the direction below. If you have to create a new account, remember your Account login information!!!!! You will need this info to unsubscribe in the future. If you want TXT alerts, follow the instructions in the welcome message for the group.
4. IMPORTANT: When the Join the nowinstocknet-snes-classic-edition Group (modal/popup) appears:
   Next to "Email delivery preference:" change the dropdown to: Notify me for every new message
5. Click the Join this group button.
6. Done!

Setup Mobile Alerts
To have alerts sent to your mobile device, you have two options:

Mobile Alerting Option 1: Forward this group's emails (nowinstocknet-snes-classic-edition@googlegroups.com) to your mobile device. As an example, in Gmail, you can forward email to your mobile device with Filters:

1. In Gmail, navigate to (Gear Icon) > Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP > Add a Forwarding Address (button). Click the button.
2. Enter your mobile's Email-to-Text address (see below for more details) and click Next.
3. Click Proceed in the pop-up.
4. You should receive a code via text on your phone. The code should be the 9-digit number in the message, i.e. "((#123456789) Gmail Forwarding Confirmation..."
5. Within the Gmail Forwarding interface, enter the verification code. Click Verify.
6. Make sure Disable Forwarding is still selected as you do not want to forward all of your email.
7. Now it is time to set up a filter.
8. Click Filters and Blocked Addresses (tab) > Create a New Filter.
9. Enter "nowinstocknet-snes-classic-edition@googlegroups.com" into the From field. Click Create filter with this search »
10. Check the box next to "Forward it to:", select your email-to-text address in the Choose Your Address drop-down, and click Create Filter button.
11. All set up... next time we send alerts from this group, Gmail will forward the message to your device.

Mobile Alerting Option 2: Create a Google Account with the email-to-text address of your mobile device.

Email-to-Text/SMS Address:
Your email-to-text address typically is: "number@mobilegateway.com" where "number" = your 10-digit phone number & "mobilegateway.com" = your mobile carrier's gateway. Below are a list of common mobile gateways.

Common mobile gateways:
Verizon: number@vtext.com
AT&T: number@txt.att.net
Sprint: number@messaging.sprintpcs.com
T-Mobile USA: number@tmomail.net

They also provide a list of mobile carriers and corresponding gateways: http://www.binaryoptionschannel.com/lis ... -gateways/
Curr:100 SFund 15Aug2018DWCPF
Prev:100 CFund 14Aug2018

08/31/18 PIP 7.46%
07/31/18 PIP 4.99%
06/30/18 PIP 2.7%
05/31/18 PIP 3.94%
04/30/18 PIP 4.52%
03/31/18 PIP 3.09%
02/28/18 PIP 7.93%
01/31/18 PIP 13.49%
12/31/17 PIP 16.0%
11/30/17 PIP 15.6%
10/31/17 PIP 15.62%
09/30/17 PIP 13.03%
08/31/17 PIP 11.89%

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Timber82 wrote:MJedlin,

Just curious as to what your background is, do you have previous experience hosting websites? I am also curious about whats going on in the background of the website, is it some sort of HTML ported to Excel or Access, you may see quickly I have no idea what I am talking about on that but I am very proficient in Excel and learning Access as we speak. I am kicking around the idea of doing something similar to what you have done but running a simulation that instead of being user submitted, I would make the simulation run through every possible scenario over every trading day. Again my excel skills are very far off from this and I may be way you of my league just day dreaming as I would like to also try porting this over to non TSP funds (I.E. Vanguard funds mimicking the TSP).

Edit, no worries if you aren't comfortable sharing, just would be cool to have a headstart.

The backend uses roughly 3000 lines of custom code in php. The database is MySQL, which is very similar to Access.

The difference between this and excel is that php and MySQL/Access is designed to be used for websites. The php scripts execute every time someone loads the webpage. That is how we can make dynamic websites. This forum is an example of a dynamic website. Every time you load the page, a script executes to build the HTML based on all of the posts logged in the database.

Running every possible scenario is possible, but I don't recommend it to someone who lacks database and scripting experience. I may automate this someday. Keep in mind that there are over 100 million possible seasonal strategies.

For the record, my very first daily seasonal strategy from late 2015 was calculated in excel. It is a hell of a lot easier to use the website. But I understand people want to verify the numbers and work it out for themselves. So I will write a tutorial for all of the math someday, with an excel sample attached.

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Tonight's update:

1. Fixed the mobile website. I will develop a real mobile website at some point in the future. For now, at least it is usable on a cell phone.

2. You can no longer benchmark a strategy against itself.

onerepmax

Post by onerepmax »

I'm very curious how the IFT SMS alerts would work. I assume I would choose a strategy number when requesting alerts? Then I'd get the alert the morning of the recommended IFT?

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

onerepmax wrote:I'm very curious how the IFT SMS alerts would work. I assume I would choose a strategy number when requesting alerts? Then I'd get the alert the morning of the recommended IFT?

Pick a strategy first. At the very bottom of that strategy's page, there would be a "IFT Alert" box where you would input your e-mail address (linked to your phone #) to sign up for IFT Alerts. The Alert would be sent out 24 hours prior to the IFT deadline.

There will be a separate page where you can view all of the strategies you are currently signed up for alerts on. From that page you can remove one or all of the alerts from your account.

If I get sophisticated enough, you could choose a different time to receive the IFT alert. Say you want it at 9 AM instead of 12PM eastern the previous day.

onerepmax

Post by onerepmax »

That is awesome, thanks.

mjedlin66 wrote:
onerepmax wrote:I'm very curious how the IFT SMS alerts would work. I assume I would choose a strategy number when requesting alerts? Then I'd get the alert the morning of the recommended IFT?

Pick a strategy first. At the very bottom of that strategy's page, there would be a "IFT Alert" box where you would input your e-mail address (linked to your phone #) to sign up for IFT Alerts. The Alert would be sent out 24 hours prior to the IFT deadline.

There will be a separate page where you can view all of the strategies you are currently signed up for alerts on. From that page you can remove one or all of the alerts from your account.

If I get sophisticated enough, you could choose a different time to receive the IFT alert. Say you want it at 9 AM instead of 12PM eastern the previous day.

Timber82

Post by Timber82 »

mjedlin66 wrote:The backend uses roughly 3000 lines of custom code in php. The database is MySQL, which is very similar to Access.

The difference between this and excel is that php and MySQL/Access is designed to be used for websites. The php scripts execute every time someone loads the webpage. That is how we can make dynamic websites. This forum is an example of a dynamic website. Every time you load the page, a script executes to build the HTML based on all of the posts logged in the database.

Running every possible scenario is possible, but I don't recommend it to someone who lacks database and scripting experience. I may automate this someday. Keep in mind that there are over 100 million possible seasonal strategies.

For the record, my very first daily seasonal strategy from late 2015 was calculated in excel. It is a hell of a lot easier to use the website. But I understand people want to verify the numbers and work it out for themselves. So I will write a tutorial for all of the math someday, with an excel sample attached.

Thanks so much, I agree that would be a daunting task to undertake and my level of expertise pretty much dies off for excel around Pivot tables and charts and simple user forms (GUI to fill in rows in the background). even with just that its amazing how far that knowledge has gotten me, coworkers and managers at my previous job (private industry) thought I was a genius. I know excel is capable of so much more, and if I didn't leave work with more work than I came in with I could definitely program some userforms that would not only make my entire offices job easier and more efficient but possibly the entire agency.

One good thing however is working on something like that would be a labor of love and therefore I would be personally invested and interested n the outcome unlike my courses in college where I had to build a database of Shipping Company XYZ's inventory, I just couldn't bring myself to care about shipping company enough to really dig my heels into it all.

I truly am grateful for the work and time you dedicate to this and how willing you are to help out everyone.

Side note, I love the text/e-mail feature just make sure we have a way to cancel it if we switch strategy or something please :).

Another question I just thought of, If I "submitted" a strategy that is day for day duplicate of say #256 strategy, does it create a whole new strategy for me or does it default to the 1st version and show me #256?

nrialto

Post by nrialto »

Mjedlin66, I know you get all kinds of requests, but I figured this one was worth an ask:

Supposing one had a brokerage account in which they could freely trade the core TSP funds (Dow, S&P, etc) and wanted to implement the daily-seasonal, would it be possible to "tweak" the tspcalc to utilize unlimited IFT's?

Thanks for all your work on here!

Fund Prices2024-04-18

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.27%
F $18.62 -0.30% -3.14%
C $78.45 -0.21% 5.50%
S $76.12 -0.20% -1.27%
I $40.67 0.02% 1.21%
L2065 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2060 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2055 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2050 $31.35 -0.13% 2.44%
L2045 $14.32 -0.12% 2.35%
L2040 $52.37 -0.11% 2.29%
L2035 $13.85 -0.10% 2.21%
L2030 $46.21 -0.09% 2.15%
L2025 $12.93 -0.05% 1.72%
Linc $25.28 -0.04% 1.51%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".