Singapore Summit

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

nrialto

Singapore Summit

Post by nrialto »

Anyone hedging their TSP bets one way or the other based on what may happen at the summit?

I have a feeling it may be a market mover.

MakeMe$$$$

Re: Singapore Summit

Post by MakeMe$$$$ »

I think the G6-7-8 meeting results will be much more likely to make an impact.
Don
Rolled over to Fidelity 2/24/18.
Fantasy still playing with Daily Strategy 12767.

ArrieS

Post by ArrieS »

nrialto wrote:Anyone hedging their TSP bets one way or the other based on what may happen at the summit?

Only if the nukes start flying.
OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

cswift01

Post by cswift01 »

nrialto wrote:Anyone hedging their TSP bets one way or the other based on what may happen at the summit?

It's hard to throw out a bet. With my investments, I'm thinking that it won't be too much of a damper, if anything maybe a small upside? If I think of my gut, I can only think that it'll be a stalemate or maybe there will be more pessimism. So, it'll be good and bad. :lol:

Best,

Me

Billionair

Post by Billionair »

As an optimist, I see positive things for this.

#1. I believe Un wants change for his country, he wants to be prosperous.
#2. Un has made talks about actively investing in his country, which could be great for everyone, increased farmland and new technology!
#3. If a deal is reached, US Troops (Marines mostly), and troops in Japan/Okinawa no longer have a purpose of protecting our mutual allies (SKorea/Japan), and would need a new mission. That's almost 30,000 troops. Could use an entire engineer unit to help with infrastructure (not privatized), to work on roads/bridges in America. #3 is my biggest hope!

There is lots to gain.

Negatives:

#1. Banter and Sword talk and more threats of nuclear war, which does nothing for future generations.
#2. China sees NKorea trying to get out of China's shadow and puts an end to their reign and assimilates the area. This could push that entire region into Chaos. China has actively been building islands in the S. China sea to control trade.
#3. NKorea uses this as a farce for invasion/tactful destruction of SKorea (highly unlikely).

As far as investments go...Japan, South Korea, China, the US (and the I Fund) could see massive gains for years to come if a peace deal is reached, and infrastructure did happen. Global markets would be new to North Korea, but I think word/pictures has leaked out from the rest of the world and the Kim Jong Un clan could retain their power for another generation by bringing in the new ideas. Libya was actually a prosperous country until we killed Ghaddafi. The last thing we need is Un and his people not in control. A country held together by a dictator without him, devolves into absolute Chaos example (Iraq, Libya, Cuba, Congo).
-What we do in Life, echoes in Retirement-

Scorpio70

Post by Scorpio70 »

I doubt anyone cares about the G7. They seem to be like they don't want to change the status quo with Trump in charge. I am with him on trade. NAFTA devastated much of rural America, as well as trade with China. It has made our country much weaker.

Efire

Post by Efire »

I bet volatility up. So, better stay out if I am not nimble. See also that Quadruple Witching thread.

ArrieS

Post by ArrieS »

Scorpio70 wrote:I doubt anyone cares about the G7. They seem to be like they don't want to change the status quo with Trump in charge.
Really? What could the G7 do differently?
OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

alligatorm

Post by alligatorm »

cswift01 wrote:

It's hard to throw out a bet. With my investments, I'm thinking that it won't be too much of a damper, if anything maybe a small upside? If I think of my gut, I can only think that it'll be a stalemate or maybe there will be more pessimism. So, it'll be good and bad. :lol:

Best,

Me
cswift01, I'm with you brother - I'm thinking there may be a small uptick - probably in the global markets - because of this Singapore meeting. Trump has beefed up my retirement fund quite a bit since he took office (it's looking like I will be able to retire a few years earlier than I had expected) and I'm thinking he may help me out a little bit more with this North Korea deal. I know a lot of folks don't like him, but he has gotten farther with Rocket Man's country than any other administration - shoot, just getting Rocket Man TO ATTEND a summit should be good for something....
I moved 40% of my TSP into the I fund on Friday - I'm hoping to make a few bucks and get out before the quadruple witching at the end of the week....

Good Luck Everyone !

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

Andrew Hecht
No matter what your political orientation, I think most of us would agree that President Trump is unique. The United States has never seen a President like him, and the rest of the world has not either. The current leader of the free world has changed the meaning of diplomacy.

The President spent all of his time before and on his way to the G-7 meeting tweeting about the unfair trade policies of the other nations he was about to meet. He taunted the other leaders with ultimatums. The press was all over his comments and built the G-7 into a potential jousting session. I can't help but think that his suggestion to include Russia and return to a G-8 was a strategic ploy to divert attention from his goal, which is reciprocity in trade. Interestingly, as he departed for the next big event of the week, President Trump threw out the idea of doing away with all tariffs and trade barriers to give the other leaders something to think about in his absence. The bottom line, in my opinion, is that the big bluff continues and at the end of the day there will be a series of bilateral trade agreements and compromise. After all, any improvement in the balance of trade will be a victory for the administration and winning is the goal of the U.S. President. As an experienced media star, he knows that the presentation is more significant than the result when it comes to popularity and perception.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/418085 ... eek?page=2
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

https://youtu.be/N6eS4lwT7uE?t=9730
Trump gives press conference after summit with Kim Jong Un. Should be keyed up to start at 2hr:42min to see film prior to Q&A Definitely worth watching

There are several questions on the G-7 meeting

Fund Prices2024-04-17

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.25%
F $18.68 0.50% -2.85%
C $78.62 -0.58% 5.72%
S $76.27 -0.89% -1.07%
I $40.66 -0.17% 1.19%
L2065 $15.60 -0.47% 3.17%
L2060 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2055 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2050 $31.39 -0.35% 2.57%
L2045 $14.34 -0.33% 2.47%
L2040 $52.43 -0.31% 2.41%
L2035 $13.87 -0.28% 2.31%
L2030 $46.25 -0.25% 2.24%
L2025 $12.93 -0.12% 1.78%
Linc $25.29 -0.09% 1.55%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".