Hard Brexit looming, jumping to G on Monday. Thoughts?

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

Optimus187

Hard Brexit looming, jumping to G on Monday. Thoughts?

Post by Optimus187 »

I heard a discussion on the issues involving Brexit. Next week will be a huge week. I Mays deal is a no go , she will probably be given a vote of no confidence and this will cause what is call a Hard Brexit.

If a hard Brexit hit, that means that the UK will be separating from the EU hard and fast. This will then cause the British pound to plummet and send the dollar sky rocketing.

If the dollar skyrockets then the S and P will take a major hit, I assume the I fund will too.

I think the safe play is jump out to the G and see how it shakes out. I know the fundamentals are strong but that hard Brexit stuff really has me concerned. Thoughts?

head

Re: Hard Brexit looming, jumping to G on Monday. Thoughts?

Post by head »

I truly wish I could disagree with you. but I do not. I am also going 100% on COB Monday to the G fund. Between the Brexit and "Tariff Man", there is currently no options were we can make some gains in the TSP.

Going to the G fund is not the hardest choice. The hardest choice is when to go back in to the other funds available to us..!!

Good luck everyone and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays.

cswift01

Post by cswift01 »

head wrote:I truly wish I could disagree with you. but I do not. I am also going 100% on COB Monday to the G fund. Between the Brexit and "Tariff Man", there is currently no options were we can make some gains in the TSP.

Going to the G fund is not the hardest choice. The hardest choice is when to go back in to the other funds available to us..!!

Good luck everyone and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays.
Every time I think the stock funds are going to finally return, we keep going lower. Kakistocracy...

Billionair

Post by Billionair »

I agree with everyone. The con's outweigh the stock market. Fed Meeting on the 18th, Tariffs, arrest of China's CEO, Brexit, Saudi Arabia arguing, government shutdown.

Pros: job report (didn't help), agreement on China trade deal (cooled), Fed rates (lukewarm), positive seasonal tendency (hasn't favored us yet).

I've had to stem the bleeding, and buying the dip is what I have known/made money on. G/F seems to be a safe play while this chaos unfolds. I believe it will be a hard week, the progress on Mueller and the government shutdown are serious things to be considered by the end of next week. I hear whispers of indictments.
-What we do in Life, echoes in Retirement-

mango72

Post by mango72 »

Billionair wrote:I agree with everyone. The con's outweigh the stock market. Fed Meeting on the 18th, Tariffs, arrest of China's CEO, Brexit, Saudi Arabia arguing, government shutdown.

Pros: job report (didn't help), agreement on China trade deal (cooled), Fed rates (lukewarm), positive seasonal tendency (hasn't favored us yet).

I've had to stem the bleeding, and buying the dip is what I have known/made money on. G/F seems to be a safe play while this chaos unfolds. I believe it will be a hard week, the progress on Mueller and the government shutdown are serious things to be considered by the end of next week. I hear whispers of indictments.
Past Gov't shutdowns have not been a major reason for sell offs. And I do not think Trump will receive punishment as if things heat up, he will resign. How will his resignation affect the market? i believe it will help. He has been an insulting figure in the international community and a horrible representation of this nation. His "art of the deal" style has not worked. Im hoping someone steps in and finds compromise in an otherwise escalating fight that was begging to take the world economy with it. Yes China is crooked and something eventually needs to happen there but doing so diplomatically would be in the best interest of all world markets.

jlozano042

Post by jlozano042 »

mango72 wrote:... He has been an insulting figure in the international community and a horrible representation of this nation. His "art of the deal" style has not worked. Im hoping someone steps in and finds compromise in an otherwise escalating fight that was begging to take the world economy with it. Yes China is crooked and something eventually needs to happen there but doing so diplomatically would be in the best interest of all world markets.

misfit

Post by misfit »

jlozano042 wrote:
mango72 wrote:... He has been an insulting figure in the international community and a horrible representation of this nation. His "art of the deal" style has not worked. Im hoping someone steps in and finds compromise in an otherwise escalating fight that was begging to take the world economy with it. Yes China is crooked and something eventually needs to happen there but doing so diplomatically would be in the best interest of all world markets.
------------------------------------------

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mango72

Post by mango72 »

jlozano042 wrote:

You guys care to impart something meaningful? Other than your gifs...

PhilJohn

Post by PhilJohn »

I've been in S since September. I have all the time in the world so I'm not selling. I'm just buying at discounted prices for now :)

Optimus187

Post by Optimus187 »

Great news today on Varney and Co. China is looking to make a deal. Apparently, the arrest of the Chinese exec. has only strengthen the US position. Hopefully, this is true.

Also, the Brexit vote was postponed.

wingchaser

Post by wingchaser »

I made the move to the G Fund (today), though Mr. Perfect was strongly urging me to do this back on 4-Dec-18 (right @ the time I made an ill-advised Contrarian move). This year has ended in a way that was anything but "perfect" for me...

Best Wishes (everyone) in all you chose to endeavor!!!
“Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it. He who doesn’t... pays it.” ~ Albert Einstein

dougellen1

Post by dougellen1 »

mango's comments deserve no comment

mango72

Post by mango72 »

dougellen1 wrote:mango's comments deserve no comment

Well...you just gave one. And how inspiring it was...

mrpark31

Post by mrpark31 »

wingchaser wrote:I made the move to the G Fund (today), though Mr. Perfect was strongly urging me to do this back on 4-Dec-18 (right @ the time I made an ill-advised Contrarian move). This year has ended in a way that was anything but "perfect" for me...

visual18

Post by visual18 »

wingchaser wrote:I made the move to the G Fund (today), though Mr. Perfect was strongly urging me to do this back on 4-Dec-18 (right @ the time I made an ill-advised Contrarian move). This year has ended in a way that was anything but "perfect" for me...

Good luck bro. I am one of your followers.

Fund Prices2024-04-17

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.25%
F $18.68 0.50% -2.85%
C $78.62 -0.58% 5.72%
S $76.27 -0.89% -1.07%
I $40.66 -0.17% 1.19%
L2065 $15.60 -0.47% 3.17%
L2060 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2055 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2050 $31.39 -0.35% 2.57%
L2045 $14.34 -0.33% 2.47%
L2040 $52.43 -0.31% 2.41%
L2035 $13.87 -0.28% 2.31%
L2030 $46.25 -0.25% 2.24%
L2025 $12.93 -0.12% 1.78%
Linc $25.29 -0.09% 1.55%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".