Anyone Watching the Shanghai?

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

Tomanyiron

Anyone Watching the Shanghai?

Post by Tomanyiron »

($SSEC) China's version of the Dow Jones started rallying last week, and is up over 6%. It had been in a 5-year consolidation period. Are Chinese stocks about to rally? It has been a long time since I even looked at the I fund and I’m out of IFT for the month, so all I can do is look.
The Wall Street Journal web site is tricky, it may only let you look at something once without asking you to subscribe.
http://online.wsj.com/articles/chinese- ... _Video_Top
Chinese Stocks Take Off
“The Shanghai Composite Index jumped for a sixth day to the highest in nine months on Tuesday, bringing the gain to 6.6% so far in July and leaving the market in position to record its best month since December 2012. The index is catching up with a rally in Hong Kong that sent the city's main stock index to a three-year high last week.”
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

tomleeinar

Re: Anyone Watching the Shanghai?

Post by tomleeinar »

I believe the I fund isn't invested in Shanghai. Are you thinking this upswing will flow into Japan and help there? I fund is 20% invested there. I only have a little invested in I fund because it is not in the countries I wish it were.

bear915

Post by bear915 »

How do you know what countries te I Fund is in, or not in?

bassking

Post by bassking »

No exposure to China if invested in I-Fund. See link. https://www.tsp.gov/PDF/formspubs/IFund.pdf

Lafrinere

Post by Lafrinere »

To help further explain:
The objective of the I Fund is to match the performance of the Morgan Stanley Capital International EAFE (Europe, Australasia, Far East) Index.

:?: So, if "the objective of the TSP is to match the performance of...", then where is TSP money REALLY invested? Is it really in the EAFE or in something else? Here is what it says:
The I Fund is invested in a separate account that is managed by BlackRock Institutional Trust Company, N.A. The I Fund holds common stocks of all the companies represented in the EAFE Index in virtually the same weights that they have in the index.

So, to my understanding, yes, we really are invested in the same companies as the EAFE when you elect to be in the I-Fund, but through a separate account. So all countries listed in the EAFE are:
Europe
Austria
Belgium
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom

Australasia/Far East
Australia
Hong Kong
Israel
Japan
New Zealand
Singapore

Shanghai is not covered in the list.

To see what companies are in the EAFE, go to http://www.ishares.com/us/products/239623/ishares-msci-eafe-etf, slew down then click on "All Holdings". I do not believe ALL of these companies are included in our I-Fund portfolio that is managed by BlackRock, but only a broad sampling of all the sectors. It will come close to the EAFE's performance, but won't be spot on every time.

By the way, it works the same with C and S funds also.
Michael

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

Thanks tomleeinar, basking and Lafrinere for setting me straight. I knew that the I Fund had Asian investments. I remembered some of those on Michael's list, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, so I assumed the other markets nearby (including Australia and New Zealand) would benefit also. A "rising tide lifts all boats" kinda thing.

But after putting both (!Ifund and $SSEC) on a 2-year chart, I could see little or no concert between the two. My bad. :oops:

I don't know what I would do without you guys.
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

Fund Prices2024-04-17

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.25%
F $18.68 0.50% -2.85%
C $78.62 -0.58% 5.72%
S $76.27 -0.89% -1.07%
I $40.66 -0.17% 1.19%
L2065 $15.60 -0.47% 3.17%
L2060 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2055 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2050 $31.39 -0.35% 2.57%
L2045 $14.34 -0.33% 2.47%
L2040 $52.43 -0.31% 2.41%
L2035 $13.87 -0.28% 2.31%
L2030 $46.25 -0.25% 2.24%
L2025 $12.93 -0.12% 1.78%
Linc $25.29 -0.09% 1.55%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".