You know it's sad when...

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

Kato

You know it's sad when...

Post by Kato »

Hey everyone,

I was just noticing the G fund is the top performing fund for the year as of today and that made me a little sad.

If the S and C fund don't end up rallying, the G fund could end up being the best fund for 2015.

You know, that just scared me a little.
Veteran - Someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for any amount, up to and including their life

Scarfinger

Re: You know it's sad when...

Post by Scarfinger »

Kato wrote:Hey everyone,

I was just noticing the G fund is the top performing fund for the year as of today and that made me a little sad.

If the S and C fund don't end up rallying, the G fund could end up being the best fund for 2015.

This observation makes me think... How are some TSP investors making 20%+.

So buy and hold vs. trading in and out of the G/S funds. Looks like the active trader has the upperhand, potentially. But keep in mind... some active traders are in the red.
I am just an average Joe. I have no clue to what the market will do.
TimboSlice wrote: "People really need to stop overthinking this."
Paul Merriman 2 fund strat: (age - 25) x2.5 = TDF + balance into S fund or variation of

ArrieS

Post by ArrieS »

Why? 2011 the G fund beat the C and S fund. But the next year was 16% and 18% return respectively.

Statistically, over the long run the Stock market returns positive gains 2 out of every 3 years. So an underperforming year is to be expected.
OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

snaffu

Post by snaffu »

Oh, Here we go again..

Now its some else's turn to poke that pig... I've had my fun already..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just because I give you advice, It doesn't mean I know more than you, It just means I've done more stupid stuff.

snaffu

Post by snaffu »

Scarfinger wrote:
This observation makes me think... How are some TSP investors making 20%+.

So buy and hold vs. trading in and out of the G/S funds. Looks like the active trader has the upper hand, potentially. But keep in mind... some active traders are in the red.

Me thinks you uncovered a very stinky can of worms... But...

An educated T/A trader can turn a profit out of the worst market.. ( at worst, minimize losses)

It hasn't been down market all year.. There have been lots of opportunities to make profits this year vs. sticking ones head in the sand and hope for the best..

There have been several outstanding TSP traders this year.. And 2 have avoided a major mishap and stayed >20%...

My hat is off to all who made a profit especially with a difficult past few months..

- Pvt Snaffu...
Just because I give you advice, It doesn't mean I know more than you, It just means I've done more stupid stuff.

LoGiK

Post by LoGiK »

Best advice ever - Past performance doesn't guarantee future results.

The stock market, to the best of everyone abilities, has never been successfully timed over the long run.
No clue what I'm doing, but willing to learn.

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

LoGiK wrote:The stock market, to the best of everyone abilities, has never been successfully timed over the long run.

Well maybe, but never bragged about.
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

Kato

Post by Kato »

ArrieS wrote:

Why? 2011 the G fund beat the C and S fund. But the next year was 16% and 18% return respectively.

Statistically, over the long run the Stock market returns positive gains 2 out of every 3 years. So an underperforming year is to be expected.

I agree, every fund will have an under performing year, for the most part and in varying degrees, but as I was checking my performance I just happened to notice the G fund being in the lead and thought I'd comment about it.
Veteran - Someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for any amount, up to and including their life

Kato

Post by Kato »

snaffu wrote:Oh, Here we go again..

Hey, I'm not trying to poke any pigs, just commenting on an observation. Since I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, and I'm not sure I want to, so let's all just put the knifes, stones, tar and feathers away like responsible adults :)

Besides an underperforming year for the C and S fund only hurts those buy and hold investors. Well, for this year at least.

MakeMe$$$$

Post by MakeMe$$$$ »

Kato wrote:
snaffu wrote:Oh, Here we go again..

Hey, I'm not trying to poke any pigs, just commenting on an observation. Since I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, and I'm not sure I want to, so let's all just put the knifes, stones, tar and feathers away like responsible adults :)

Besides an underperforming year for the C and S fund only hurts those buy and hold investors. Well, for this year at least.

Some times folks just get a tad trigger happy. They just have heard some things so often that any off the cuff comment brings back bad memories. :lol:
Don
Rolled over to Fidelity 2/24/18.
Fantasy still playing with Daily Strategy 12767.

usps2013

Post by usps2013 »

PTTSD or P2TSD: post traumatic-trading disorder?

I can see how the q/e / zero interest rate trading environment could do that to someone. Up is down; down is left; good news is bad; yada yada yada.
-An economic forecaster is like a blind javelin thrower; although rarely accurate, he keeps your full attention.

wwwtractor

Post by wwwtractor »

The way I look at it is if you are dollar cost average buying you will still get more shares at the lower price and less at the higher price.

It looks like I have a low return this year but I am in the rebuild mode as I pulled all funds out last year since I reached the 59.5 age limit.
Retired 2017:C=60%, S=20% and I=20%
Time is the only non-renewable resource.
Knowledge is the only sustainable competitive advantage.
https://share.robinhood.com/cliffow Buy free
https://r.mtf.io/FJvrJ Motif - Make ETFs
https://del.icio.us/wwwtractor/tsp

ninghai200

Post by ninghai200 »

I may not touch the market until I get more info on the junk bond market if the collapse of it would cause a domino effect of causing selling of the stocking market or even the housing and job markets. GL, everyone and happy holidays.

Fund Prices2024-05-10

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.24 0.01% 1.54%
F $18.86 -0.22% -1.88%
C $81.82 0.18% 10.02%
S $80.25 -0.32% 4.10%
I $42.79 0.31% 6.48%
L2065 $16.31 0.16% 7.91%
L2060 $16.32 0.16% 7.91%
L2055 $16.32 0.16% 7.92%
L2050 $32.61 0.12% 6.56%
L2045 $14.86 0.11% 6.24%
L2040 $54.24 0.10% 5.94%
L2035 $14.31 0.09% 5.58%
L2030 $47.61 0.09% 5.24%
L2025 $13.16 0.05% 3.55%
Linc $25.66 0.04% 3.01%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".