still no response

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

cswift01

still no response

Post by cswift01 »

So, a few weeks ago I sent a message to the TSP. I asked "when" the dividends would be paid for the different funds. I acknowledged in this message that I know "how" the dividends were paid (reflected in the daily values).

The first response explained "how" dividends were given. I responded that I had already understood that and that I was asking when. The 2nd response was "we already told you how the dividends are distributed. They are distributed in the daily values." I responded by stating that I was asking about "when" not "how" or "if." That was the last communication from them. Oh well?

On another note, I noticed that the EFA and the S&P flatlined yesterday, although the I and C Funds increased (every so slightly). I'm wondering if they put the "dividends" into the daily values when they could make a difference, such as when they flatline. I'm not sure if others noticed a pattern with that.

Best,

Me

ArrieS

Re: still no response

Post by ArrieS »

cswift01 wrote:The first response explained "how" dividends were given. I responded that I had already understood that and that I was asking when. The 2nd response was "we already told you how the dividends are distributed. They are distributed in the daily values." I responded by stating that I was asking about "when" not "how" or "if." That was the last communication from them. Oh well?

I think they did answer when they are distributed. Consider the C fund is the S&P 500 fund, do you expect them to report when all 500 companies are distributing dividends? considering companies wait to announce it to within about a month of distribution, you seem to me really asking an impossible question to answer.

Add to that the S fund equivalent is the Dow Jones U.S. Completion Total Stock Market Index which has 2493 companies in it. Who knows how many of them pay a dividend.
OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

cswift01

Post by cswift01 »

ArrieS wrote:
cswift01 wrote:The first response explained "how" dividends were given. I responded that I had already understood that and that I was asking when. The 2nd response was "we already told you how the dividends are distributed. They are distributed in the daily values." I responded by stating that I was asking about "when" not "how" or "if." That was the last communication from them. Oh well?

I think they did answer when they are distributed. Consider the C fund is the S&P 500 fund, do you expect them to report when all 500 companies are distributing dividends? considering companies wait to announce it to within about a month of distribution, you seem to me really asking an impossible question to answer.

Add to that the S fund equivalent is the Dow Jones U.S. Completion Total Stock Market Index which has 2493 companies in it. Who knows how many of them pay a dividend.

I had thought they would bundle the dividends and distribute them at set times to save money. Something similar to mutual funds or ETFs. If they pay the dividends (and thus increase the value) on a daily basis, then I would think that it would impact the value of the C, S and I Funds on a continuous basis. I haven't seen the evidence for that.

I could be wrong. You have been at it much longer than I have. ;-)

Best,

Me

cswift01

Post by cswift01 »

Ok, there you go! I got a response. This follows what Aitrus said before. Anyway, their final response was that they do not know when companies declare and pay dividends to the equities in the TSP. They are all different from each other. They gave an example that Apple paid dividends to the C Fund on Feb 9, 2017 and this is done quarterly. On the other hand, Toyota paid dividends to the I Fund in September (2016) and does so semi-annually.

Oh well, I guess it was a noble question.

In any case, maybe knowing what's inside the funds would help knowing when they pay? For now, that's a task a bit too arduous for me, but it could help in timing which days you should change over in the different funds.

Best,

Me

cswift01

Post by cswift01 »

Maybe its easier than I thought?

https://www.thestreet.com/dividends/

Me

Fund Prices2024-03-28

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.15 0.05% 1.05%
F $19.08 -0.06% -0.74%
C $82.21 0.11% 10.55%
S $82.43 0.30% 6.92%
I $42.57 -0.24% 5.95%
L2065 $16.38 0.02% 8.37%
L2060 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2055 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2050 $32.73 0.01% 6.95%
L2045 $14.91 0.02% 6.58%
L2040 $54.38 0.02% 6.22%
L2035 $14.34 0.02% 5.79%
L2030 $47.67 0.02% 5.38%
L2025 $13.15 0.03% 3.43%
Linc $25.61 0.03% 2.82%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".