The daily seasonal strategy

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

evilanne

Re: The daily seasonal strategy

Post by evilanne »

If you scroll back through the pages, there are several calendars posted by mmmmbeer and others. June has no holidays so 1st trading day (TD) would be 1 Jun, 9th TD is June 13th, 12th TD is June 16th, 18th TD is June 26. It depends on which mix you choose. I'm looking at:

http://tspcalc.com/seasonal.php?ID=5037&years=04-17 S=9th TD, I=12th TD

http://tspcalc.com/seasonal.php?ID=5009&years=04-17 F=9th TD, I=18th TD

mmmmmbeer

Post by mmmmmbeer »

So... the top daily seasonal at the moment #5367 calls for going into the F fund on 8th trading day which is Monday, June 12th.

I was been looking at #5037 which calls for an IFT to the S fund on the 9th trading day, Tuesday.

So... what you other daily seasonal followers going to do?
Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.

mmmmmbeer

Post by mmmmmbeer »

Welp... after wading through the avelanche of comments, I decided I'm going with the F. At least until the 19th trading day. :)
Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.

Longstreet

Post by Longstreet »

Same, then I'm going to try moving to I at the close of business on the 27th. Trying out the daily seasonal with my account and sticking with the Basic Jahbulon Seasonal Strategy with the wife's account.

bamablue

Post by bamablue »

mmmmmbeer wrote:Welp... after wading through the avelanche of comments, I decided I'm going with the F. At least until the 19th trading day. :)

I'm fighting the urge to jump-ship every time a new daily seasonal takes the lead... The last plan I locked into says to go S on the 9th trading day (June 13th). I'm going to stick with the plan (at least for now).

Jokerswild

Post by Jokerswild »

Well, I am a huge fan of technical analysis but here's an overhead question to all of you. Based on what we know, what "daily seasonal strategy (DSS)" would be more ideal? Would you think that using historical data between 2004-2016 would be a better strategy to predict our current market or would you think that perhaps with more recent trends, economy, trade, etc. from 2010-2016 would be a better approach? Comparing the leaders on both of these ranges, the suggested trade dates do differ slightly. We can't predict a recession perfectly or know how markets will always react, but in my opinion I feel I'd lean on a more recent 5 years scope over a previous 12 years since trends can shift. A current 5 year DSS COULD surpass the 12 year DSS leader in the next ten years. What are your thoughts or opinions on this?
Shawn AKA "Joker"

"How many millionaires do you know who have become wealthy by investing in savings accounts? I rest my case." - Robert G. Allen

mmmmmbeer

Post by mmmmmbeer »

bamablue wrote:
mmmmmbeer wrote:Welp... after wading through the avelanche of comments, I decided I'm going with the F. At least until the 19th trading day. :)

I'm fighting the urge to jump-ship every time a new daily seasonal takes the lead... The last plan I locked into says to go S on the 9th trading day (June 13th). I'm going to stick with the plan (at least for now).

Quite honestly... I made the switch to the F because it plays into tmj100 or Juhbs mixes. I do believe the daily probably has merit, but with all the ifts and speculation... plus new daily mixes outdoing each other, I may give it a year or two to see how they go before jumping in feet first.

I think I feel a bit more comfortable with one of the top monthly mixes for meow. I crave the stability more than the couple points difference.

Never chase cards.

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

Jokerswild,
If you are selecting a period of time, I would think that 2004-2007 could be more similar. It was late in economic cycle, Republican President, 2003-2005 Republican majority in both houses of Congress. But then again, everything done as a result of the recession with the multiple rounds of QE could make things different from any prior period.
:? :?: :?

Jokerswild

Post by Jokerswild »

evilanne wrote:Jokerswild,
If you are selecting a period of time, I would think that 2004-2007 could be more similar. It was late in economic cycle, Republican President, 2003-2005 Republican majority in both houses of Congress. But then again, everything done as a result of the recession with the multiple rounds of QE could make things different from any prior period.
:? :?: :?

Exactly, many different variables. I will never complain about all the input others have been placing into this forum to help others. Prior to this site, I had almost no clue how to make more educated IFTs besides just some emotional trading and that never seemed to pan out well. Now, I feel we can use all this collective data and at the end of the day feel confident that we have made a best decision based on the information we had at the time. Did anyone see a huge leap in the I,S,or C at the beginning of this month? Nope except a few what I would deem lucky guesses because the mass majority would have said go G or F. Month isn't over yet but if it wasn't for all the advice from individuals like yourself, I might still be sitting on the sidelines hoping to win the lotto as my only retirement option. lol
Shawn AKA "Joker"

"How many millionaires do you know who have become wealthy by investing in savings accounts? I rest my case." - Robert G. Allen

ron.logan

Post by ron.logan »

We only have a little over an hour to make an IFT to S today as Mjedlin66 posted in the first post of this string. What do ya'll think, go for it or not? Or wait and go I on the 19 TD as other mixes suggest?

rhetorics

Post by rhetorics »

I went ahead and made the move to S but will be holding my breath for the next three days. hoping the increased volatility is sector rotation out of the techs and into industrials transports financials and small caps. we'll see. whats the worst that can happen in three days? :roll:
"60% of the time, it works every time."

jdw8xb

Post by jdw8xb »

Love the new trading calendars mjedlin66. Very helpful and Professional. We appreciate your hard work.

Fund Prices2024-03-27

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.14 0.01% 1.00%
F $19.09 0.26% -0.68%
C $82.11 0.87% 10.42%
S $82.19 1.48% 6.61%
I $42.68 0.56% 6.21%
L2065 $16.38 0.84% 8.36%
L2060 $16.38 0.84% 8.36%
L2055 $16.39 0.84% 8.36%
L2050 $32.73 0.71% 6.94%
L2045 $14.91 0.67% 6.56%
L2040 $54.37 0.63% 6.20%
L2035 $14.34 0.58% 5.77%
L2030 $47.66 0.53% 5.35%
L2025 $13.14 0.31% 3.40%
Linc $25.60 0.24% 2.79%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".