Has the bubble burst?

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

evorgsumaf

Has the bubble burst?

Post by evorgsumaf »

Watching the S&P and the DJ tanking today. Has the bubble burst from the 52 week highs?

Man-oh-man everything I have is going into not jumping ship to the G fund right now.

Brandon

mmmmmbeer

Re: Has the bubble burst?

Post by mmmmmbeer »

evorgsumaf wrote:Watching the S&P and the DJ tanking today. Has the bubble burst from the 52 week highs?

Man-oh-man everything I have is going into not jumping ship to the G fund right now.

Brandon

The market is reacting to the real possibility of POTUS going down.

If you jump out... You don't catch the next wave. I've reacted emotionally like your doing in the past. Slow and steady wins the race brochacho.
Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.

micman8819

Post by micman8819 »

Not a whole lots adds up at the moment. I have been tracking the I fund (EFA) vs the US dollar (UPP) pretty regularly and the bear market in the dollar has made some outstanding gains for the I fund considering they typically work opposite of each other. However, after yesterdays close they are falling and rising in sync on the hourly chart which is unsettling. Just something I came across today.

Scorpio70

Post by Scorpio70 »

Glad I jumped out yesterday.

12squared

Post by 12squared »

Scorpio70 wrote:Glad I jumped out yesterday.

What was the impetus for your leap?
“The genius of investing is recognizing the direction of the trend – not catching the highs or the lows.”
- Dean Witter

"Put all your eggs in one basket and then watch that basket."
- Andrew Carnegie

alligatorm

Post by alligatorm »

evorgsumaf wrote:Watching the S&P and the DJ tanking today. Has the bubble burst from the 52 week highs?

Brandon

If you are in the C fund, I actually think it may make sense in this situation to get out of the C fund and go to the G for the time being....

There are some big open gaps in that C fund chart that have been there for almost a month. Those gaps always seem to get filled soon or later....

As I'm typing this the C fund is at 2374. And it needs to fall to 2355 or so to fill the lowest gap - that's another 19 points that needs to be shaved off - and that's after the 26 point drop so far today.....

If you are in the C fund and have the IFTs to get out now and let it fall to that support at 2355 and then IFT back in, you should be in better shape....

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

mmmmmbeer wrote:The market is reacting to the real possibility of POTUS going down.

Trump isn't going down. There is zero chance of Trump getting impeached because it takes a simple majority in the House, and a two-thirds majority in the Senate to impeach a president. No Republican has said a thing about supporting such a proposal.

Obama, both Bushes and Clinton all had worse scandals. This is just the biased media showing it's hypocricy again.

To the OP regarding the market in general, Paul at tspallocation.com routinely says that it's normal for the market to experience two or three 5% corrections, and probably one 10% correction, every year. I agree - we see something like this every year, and it often happens during the summer months. The market just needed something to trigger either a new leg upward or to go through a quick correction.

The sky isn't falling. It's just human nature acting on the market.
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
Support the site by purchasing a membership at TSPCalc! https://tspcalc.com

evorgsumaf

Post by evorgsumaf »

Aitrus wrote:The sky isn't falling. It's just human nature acting on the market.

I trust you. That doesn't mean that it's easy, but I'm holding tight.

Dela444

Post by Dela444 »

Can we please stop with the impeachment talks?! It's hurting my retirement savings. LOL

Winner

Post by Winner »

I expect the market will be fine until the end of the month as it just shake off some weak hand, so C, S or I should stay put (if I'm in them).

Congrats mjedlin66,

Your strategy are looking good on F (so S tomorrow). I just moved to F yesterday, so my next IFT will be to S next week.

Short VIX or SELL PUT $17 JUNE 21. I sold PUT Spread (bought $11 to reduce my margin) on VIX and bought PUT Calendar on SPY MAY/JUN (May will be expire worthless in two days) and both are currently working.

I sold SLV PUT JUL21 $16.50 and bought SEP15 $16. Currently negative on this one since sold when it was trade around $16.50, but I'm still have two months to go before I have roll over.
“A brave man knows the circumstances and consequences of what he may encounter ahead…..but moves forward anyway.”

Scorpio70

Post by Scorpio70 »

I was in the I fund and it was very high yesterday, but there was weakness in the other markets. A good run can only go for so long. Now I may regret jumping long term, as I am locked out of moves until June. It always bounces back up in the long run.

Chulke

Post by Chulke »

I'm thinking the downward pull of the open gaps in the S&P coupled with the U.S. geopolitical spectrum are what's driving the action downward...The geopolitical problems associated with Trump, in the U.S. just accelerated the downward pull in my opinion. The open gap formed back on April 24th is almost filled now...still a little more to go but after that...it will probably resume the upward trend.

Cheers!
Cheers!

Current Strat: Loosely following 152300 and 85660 more the former rather than the later
Current PIP: 24.04

jimcasada

Post by jimcasada »

The market is reacting to the real possibility of POTUS going down.

If you jump out... You don't catch the next wave. I've reacted emotionally like your doing in the past. Slow and steady wins the race brochacho.[/quote]

///////////////////////////////////////////

I wouldn't say that necessarily Trump is going down, but the longer this drags out, the less likely we're going to see healthcare & tax reforms any time soon. The markets are starting to realize the mid-term elections coming up soon. Personally, I think about all the markets really are generally inflated & due for a correction, so I'm staying in -F- fund for right now.

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Have some perspective. A roughly 2% slide is only a week or two worth of bull market gains. This does not indicate an impending correction unless it continues down.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

jimcasada

Post by jimcasada »

Scorpio70 wrote:I was in the I fund and it was very high yesterday, but there was weakness in the other markets. A good run can only go for so long. Now I may regret jumping long term, as I am locked out of moves until June. It always bounces back up in the long run.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

Are you aware that you can always move to -G- at anytime, even if you have made 2 fund transfers already within a given month? You also can split up your moves, if you don't want to move everything to -G- fund.

Fund Prices2024-04-15

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.18 0.04% 1.23%
F $18.64 -0.61% -3.02%
C $79.24 -1.20% 6.56%
S $77.27 -1.66% 0.23%
I $41.14 -0.29% 2.38%
L2065 $15.75 -0.94% 4.19%
L2060 $15.75 -0.94% 4.19%
L2055 $15.76 -0.94% 4.19%
L2050 $31.64 -0.81% 3.38%
L2045 $14.44 -0.76% 3.24%
L2040 $52.80 -0.71% 3.11%
L2035 $13.96 -0.65% 2.96%
L2030 $46.52 -0.59% 2.83%
L2025 $12.97 -0.32% 2.08%
Linc $25.35 -0.25% 1.78%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".