TSP Center - The Thrift Savings Plan Community

"FantasyTSP™ and Discussion Forum for the Thrift Savings Plan Investor"

Recommend TSP Center Register  •  Search  •  FantasyTSP Trophies   

Board index » Thrift Savings Plan » General TSP Discussion

Join now for full access to TSP Center

This topic has 29 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view topic replies.

or 

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:26 pm 

Flag: United States - Texas (43)
Trophies:1
Monthly Return (1)

Reputation point: 185
Does anyone have a calculator, spreadsheet, or intimate knowledge of the requisite math that will give a new federal employee the correct per-paycheck numbers to maximize TSP contributions while taking into consideration the 5% agency match AND the catch-up contributions?

I know the max contribution numbers and the percentages for agency match. I know there is no agency match for the catch-up money, and that you have to max out the regular contributions in order to do catch-up. What I'm trying to compute is the required monetary contribution I need to fork out each pay period while insuring I don't hit the $18000 ceiling too early in the year and in turn lose the agency match.

I've read somewhere (Fed Soup maybe) that it equates to $693 per pay period for the regular TSP contribution and $231 per pay period for the catch-up contribution. $693 for the regular contribution to max out the year makes no sense to me because not only does that amount compute to more than $18000 over 12 months, it also seems to NOT consider the agency match.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong: if you intend to make a full yearly contribution that is accompanied by a 5% agency match AND the 5% match is based on your gross salary, am I incorrect in thinking that the agency match, say on a salary of $85,000, would total out at $4250 come the last pay period on the year?

In turn, that means you are putting in $13,750 to hit the $18000/yr max. Unless I'm all out of sorts, that means your per-pay period contribution would be $528.84 (based on 26 pay periods)????

Don't hold back if I'm all jacked up. DROP IT ON ME!!

I just retired after a 30-year military career. That math is EASY: $18000/12=$1500/month. Now you're talking pay periods (that may change year to year), agency matches, catch-up contributions...

Profile FantasyTSP  

Board index » Thrift Savings Plan » General TSP Discussion