Short-Term Impact of Comey and UK Elections...

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

bamablue

Short-Term Impact of Comey and UK Elections...

Post by bamablue »

With the Comey Testimony and UK elections, does anyone see a market flex like we saw for BREXIT?

I don't know if there will be anything substantive in terms of the future of the political landscape -- although CNBC is already calculating the impact of a Mike Pence presidency following impeachment. In the UK, the election seems to favor May, but it's close enough that the shell-shocked pollsters in the UK aren't making any guarantees...

I see a short, media-driven frenzy that might scare some investors away from stocks for a day or two. Some potential impact to move bonds up and weaker stocks down.

Jock14

Re: Short-Term Impact of Comey and UK Elections...

Post by Jock14 »

Rule #1 for investing - don't buy or sell the media! The media makes money by views, so they will do whatever they can to sell their story compared to the next guy. If you didn't use common sense, one would think they sky has been falling for the last million years.

bamablue

Post by bamablue »

I get the sentiment about the media and dont' disagree, but they've become a predictable (if not reliable) source of negative coverage regarding the culture and the political landscape. I don't think they have the impact they once did, because they're no longer a credible source of 'news' IMHO. They are opinion factories; a bell-ringer to move a political positon and raise grassroots or astroturf opposition. There is however an impact (influence?) to markets... Will this impact come from the Comey Hearings or UK vote?

BigLeague

Post by BigLeague »

bamablue wrote:With the Comey Testimony and UK elections, does anyone see a market flex like we saw for BREXIT?

In a word...NO. And don't hold your breath for impeachment. It ain't happening.

bamablue

Post by bamablue »

BigLeague wrote:
bamablue wrote:With the Comey Testimony and UK elections, does anyone see a market flex like we saw for BREXIT?

In a word...NO. And don't hold your breath for impeachment. It ain't happening.

Impeachment is a fabrication of the media and reflects the hopes of political sore losers. Strictly, my personal opinion. What I know is that i'm holding my breath to see when and how to fatten my 401K...

BigLeague

Post by BigLeague »

I don't think we should expect anything close to brexit. The media will hype the comey testimony as long as they can, but it's basically a big nothing burger.

Dow30K

Post by Dow30K »

BigLeague wrote:I don't think we should expect anything close to brexit. The media will hype the comey testimony as long as they can, but it's basically a big nothing burger.

Well said BL.

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Apparently all of this means an S fund rally and a C fund dip. That's a head scratcher.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

bamablue

Post by bamablue »

mjedlin66 wrote:Apparently all of this means an S fund rally and a C fund dip. That's a head scratcher.

That is par for the 'crazy course.' Do you think this is influenced/impacted by one or all of the big ticket events: Comey, UK elections, Qatar Embargo, bad box office numbers for Pirates of the Caribbean Part X?

Dow30K

Post by Dow30K »

D. All of the above.

Ritidian

Post by Ritidian »

BigLeague wrote:I don't think we should expect anything close to brexit. The media will hype the comey testimony as long as they can, but it's basically a big nothing burger.

That's a good summation.

ArrieS

Post by ArrieS »

It's a big nothing burger because Congress already has all it needs to impeach him except for the most important thing. Actual outrage from the American people.
OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

bamablue

Post by bamablue »

ArrieS wrote:

It's a big nothing burger because Congress already has all it needs to impeach him except for the most important thing. Actual outrage from the American people.

This 'big nothing burger' is being served piping hot, with all the fixin's by the media. So far the only one taking a bite are the normal suspects in academia, entertainment and establishment politicians (both parties). Wall Street has more important things to deal with because of the tech slide...

Fund Prices2024-04-24

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.20 0.01% 1.34%
F $18.64 -0.24% -3.04%
C $79.40 0.02% 6.78%
S $78.08 -0.18% 1.28%
I $41.48 -0.10% 3.23%
L2065 $15.84 -0.05% 4.74%
L2060 $15.84 -0.05% 4.75%
L2055 $15.84 -0.05% 4.75%
L2050 $31.79 -0.06% 3.86%
L2045 $14.51 -0.05% 3.68%
L2040 $53.01 -0.05% 3.54%
L2035 $14.01 -0.04% 3.36%
L2030 $46.69 -0.04% 3.21%
L2025 $13.01 -0.02% 2.33%
Linc $25.40 -0.02% 2.00%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".