What's up with all the new members?

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

evilanne

What's up with all the new members?

Post by evilanne »

When I view new posts, there are about 2 dozen new members currently. Recently there seems to be more joining on a daily basis but not seeing that many actually posting. What's up?!?

To all new members welcome & don't be afraid to introduce yourself or join in the discussions. There is a lot of good info in the forums...If you are interested in something specific the search feature works really well.

Happy Investing

ArrieS

Re: What's up with all the new members?

Post by ArrieS »

It's a sign of a top. You know, everything jumping into the Stock Market now.
OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

Navig8tor

Post by Navig8tor »

I'm not trying to be a wiseheimer with my statent that of the 15,000+ regsitered site members available to post, I'd feel confident placing a wager that there are less than 100 "regulars" who post.
Navig8tor
CWO4 (BOSN)
USCG, RET

wisepierre

Post by wisepierre »

I know myself and others have been sharing the site with military members on reddit the past few months. That could account for some of them, but definitely not all.

Vesper

Post by Vesper »

Me and a few others challenged our whole team to a TSP competition a while back. TSPCenter.com was offered as a way to help everyone track their earnings. We have over 70 members, so that could explain some of the newbies.

GoSeasonal

Post by GoSeasonal »

Last edited by GoSeasonal on Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

Awesome! It's great to hear you guys doing this. Are you using the TSPCenter fantasy accounts in a public manner to compare returns to each other? Any specific rules to the challenge?
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
Support the site by purchasing a membership at TSPCalc! https://tspcalc.com

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

ArrieS wrote:It's a sign of a top. You know, everything jumping into the Stock Market now.

Like Navig8tor, I'm not trying to be a wiseheimer either. But looking at the last few pages of newbies, they are about 90% G fund holders.
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

GoSeasonal

Post by GoSeasonal »

Last edited by GoSeasonal on Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

nodak

Post by nodak »

evilanne wrote:When I view new posts, there are about 2 dozen new members currently. Recently there seems to be more joining on a daily basis but not seeing that many actually posting. What's up?!?

To all new members welcome & don't be afraid to introduce yourself or join in the discussions. There is a lot of good info in the forums...If you are interested in something specific the search feature works really well.

Happy Investing

Shhh, nothing to talk about here, just keep moving along. :D

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

evilanne wrote:When I view new posts, there are about 2 dozen new members currently. Recently there seems to be more joining on a daily basis but not seeing that many actually posting. What's up?!?

Happy Investing

Since it’s a big in-house competition I bet they won’t be contributing much to the forum. Number 4 on the poll, "I'm not going to reveal my big money-making secrets here."

They may asking a question once and a while, though.
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

Pockets

Post by Pockets »

When I first joined I didn't have interest in posting much and still don't. Often I just don't spend the time to read all the threads, but I will usually catch up after a couple days and sometimes post here/there. This site was just an easy way to check on what your TSP is pretty much doing without the hassle of logging on/off and worrying about the potential of others following you in. Also with the graphs and other easy visualization methods it definitely makes this more interesting. Because of that fact I have pretty much told everyone in my office about it and I am sure those that use and enjoy this site have also shared it. As the number of users increase the more word of mouth and/or posts about this site... I am sure you can see what would happen.

Previous years have been good to me, this year hasn't been so nice. I might try that office pool thing to get people involved though.

inla$vega$

Post by inla$vega$ »

Three and a half years ago on January 28, 2014 TSP Center hit 10,000 members. Below is the message I sent at the time and it still applies.

"Did you all recognize that the 10,000 member milestone was reached? This TSP community website does a great job of providing free information, tools, help, experience, and opinions (many opinions). You can participate as much or little as you want but the info from experienced members is useful in making decisions on how to maximize your balance. Thanks to the founders, moderators and members."

Cpayne09

Post by Cpayne09 »

Yeah, over the last month I shared the site with my flight/squadron. I've managed to gain 465% CAGR for my account since 2011 so why not share the wealth?

Fund Prices2024-04-17

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.25%
F $18.68 0.50% -2.85%
C $78.62 -0.58% 5.72%
S $76.27 -0.89% -1.07%
I $40.66 -0.17% 1.19%
L2065 $15.60 -0.47% 3.17%
L2060 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2055 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2050 $31.39 -0.35% 2.57%
L2045 $14.34 -0.33% 2.47%
L2040 $52.43 -0.31% 2.41%
L2035 $13.87 -0.28% 2.31%
L2030 $46.25 -0.25% 2.24%
L2025 $12.93 -0.12% 1.78%
Linc $25.29 -0.09% 1.55%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".