Gridlock in DC = Losses in TSP

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

alligatorm

Gridlock in DC = Losses in TSP

Post by alligatorm »

Geesh....look at that market slide after they announced just a delay in the vote for Health Care....
I feel bad for those folks who are planning on retiring in the next 4 years who are trying to pad the ol' TSP balance before checking out....
With this gridlock in DC, it seems to be one step forward and two steps back.
I know Trump has his downside, but when the guy announces a pro-growth policy intention, the market roars.....but then the Democrats derail the effort and the market gets whacked!

C fund is down .81%
S fund is down .97%
after that announcement of the vote delay...

I think it may be in our TSP balances best interest to vote republican in the upcoming midterms... just to try to break up this gridlock..... If not, at the rate things are going I'm going to be 100 years old before I can retire :?

wisepierre

Re: Gridlock in DC = Losses in TSP

Post by wisepierre »

>Democrats derail the effort

>GOP controls House, Senate, and White House

>GOP can't muster up enough votes in their own party, somehow the Dems fault when they aren't included in discussions about the bill

I would not be surprised if the markets bounce back next week and erase today's losses, just like what happened with the Brexit nearly a year ago exactly.

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Well I think we have known for a week or two that this healthcare bill would be deadlocked, based on Republican senators who spoke out against it. So if that is really the reason for the small decline, then I would expect the market would snap out of it tomorrow or the next day.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

oldjack

Post by oldjack »

Yeah, not sure where the idea that "democrats derailed it" came from. Bizarre. The republicans control both houses and can't pass it.

That's because the attempt to rob America blind for the benefit of a few wealthy is so blatant. Greedy people.

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

All of them can shake hands of the gridlock in DC, but it is best to avoid political debate here.

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

mjedlin66 wrote:Well I think we have known for a week or two that this healthcare bill would be deadlocked, based on Republican senators who spoke out against it. So if that is really the reason for the small decline, then I would expect the market would snap out of it tomorrow or the next day.

I agree with MJ. The market just "wanted" to do some selling, and used the deadlock as an excuse. Momentum has been going down all through June. Nothing goes up forever, if not the healthcare as a catalyst, then there would have been something else in a day or two.
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

mhende2

Post by mhende2 »

No matter what happens with health care, half the people are going to complain, and markets will bounce up and down for a while. I try to stay focused on my long term goal, and not get too concerned with the short term day to day news chatter as it will drive you nuts, especially if you are focusing on political news. Look at the overall domestic and foreign market charts over 5, 10, and 20 year periods, and notice the markets over longer periods of time have continued to rise and just focus on that. Those same markets are what drives the direction of the TSP funds, not the idiots inside the beltway although some of them think they do. Looks like DOW and S&P Futures are already pointing to a rise in the markets today. Here comes that bounce back up, and maybe it'll even bounce to a new high this week! I agree with evilanne, we should keep the political debates out of tsp forums and focus on our investing goals.
In investing, what is comfortable is rarely profitable.
-Robert Arnott

hittenit

Post by hittenit »

As stated the market fluctuates for many reasons.
Look at websites for federal workers.
Check out fact check websites.
It shouldnt be very hard to figure out who is on your side.
Last edited by hittenit on Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acidfly

Post by acidfly »

Going back up

hytid

Post by hytid »

alligatorm wrote:Geesh....look at that market slide after they announced just a delay in the vote for Health Care....
I feel bad for those folks who are planning on retiring in the next 4 years who are trying to pad the ol' TSP balance before checking out....
With this gridlock in DC, it seems to be one step forward and two steps back.
I know Trump has his downside, but when the guy announces a pro-growth policy intention, the market roars.....but then the Democrats derail the effort and the market gets whacked!

C fund is down .81%
S fund is down .97%
after that announcement of the vote delay...

I think it may be in our TSP balances best interest to vote republican in the upcoming midterms... just to try to break up this gridlock..... If not, at the rate things are going I'm going to be 100 years old before I can retire :?

No.

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

I wonder what the oldest age is/was for any federal employee to actually work?

Jamters

Post by Jamters »

evilanne wrote:I wonder what the oldest age is/was for any federal employee to actually work?

I don't know if this is the oldest for everyone - but he retired shortly after I started. He worked for the Army for 69 years and retired at age 94.

https://www.army.mil/article/68765

He died last year at age 98.

Josiedog

Post by Josiedog »

https://federalnewsradio.com/federal-dr ... e/slide/1/

A friend worked with Mr Tatigian and said he was very sharp and highly respected

Josiedog

Post by Josiedog »

To respond to a post last summer about the longest living federal employee, Mr. Tatigian was just honored for 75 years of service.

www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=102616

Fund Prices2024-03-28

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.15 0.05% 1.05%
F $19.08 -0.06% -0.74%
C $82.21 0.11% 10.55%
S $82.43 0.30% 6.92%
I $42.57 -0.24% 5.95%
L2065 $16.38 0.02% 8.37%
L2060 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2055 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2050 $32.73 0.01% 6.95%
L2045 $14.91 0.02% 6.58%
L2040 $54.38 0.02% 6.22%
L2035 $14.34 0.02% 5.79%
L2030 $47.67 0.02% 5.38%
L2025 $13.15 0.03% 3.43%
Linc $25.61 0.03% 2.82%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".