Reputation Points System

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

Should We Keep Reputation Points System?

Yes the reputation points system has a meaningful purpose and should be kept.
4%
No the reputation points system is useless and should be eliminated.
96%

Total votes: 636

catfish

Reputation Points System

Post by catfish »

There has been talk of whether the reputaion points system is useful or not. Curious of what others think.

Jokerswild

Re: Reputation Points System

Post by Jokerswild »

When I first came to TSPcenter I believed the reputation points helped provide guidance to who's input may be more valuable. However, it doesn't take long to know who is here to assist others with sound advice, and to those that think their opinion should be placed higher. I've seen people give negative rep points to Matt for having a few flaws on a FREE new product that anyone with a quarter of intellect knows things take time to perfect and this product is designed to make us millions long term. With that being said, I just don't feel the reputation points is an accurate depiction of a person's credibility anymore. I used to like the trophy system too, but that too was taken away from what I heard.
Shawn AKA "Joker"

"How many millionaires do you know who have become wealthy by investing in savings accounts? I rest my case." - Robert G. Allen

zacksedlak

Post by zacksedlak »

You guys could also take the option of simply removing the negative reputation points. Facebook does not have a dislike button due to the fact that it could be abused to hurt people with unpopular opinions. I am not sure why negatives are needed, due to the fact that if someone's post is uninteresting or disagreeable, a retort on the thread or ignoring it would be the reasonable response.

skynny6

Post by skynny6 »

As someone who occasionally visits with 0 rep points (errr 5), it is somewhat useful and shouldn't be removed

Edit: to add to zack's comment, having a minimum of 0 would suffice. seeing someone with -5 or -50 just tells me they probably got into an argument and the opposition took it very poorly

Navig8tor

Post by Navig8tor »

Jokerswild wrote:...I used to like the trophy system too, but that too was taken away from what I heard.

I think the majority of us "liked" the trophy system. I think it went away because site mods didn't have time to do it (once a month and probably coded into the software). Why it was stopped is anyone's guess.

I don't find the Rep Points system useful. It's really not needed to identify folks who use the site who are credible, knowledgeable etc. All you have to do to determine that is READ. Frankly, I don't really care how many rep points, positive or negative, someone has. If you want to carry on a conversation, negative or positive, lay it out there but be receptive to the comments you get in return be they positive or negative. We all don't have to agree on everything but if you can't intelligently process an opinion that conflicts with your own, you weren't "open for discussion" anyway.

In today's world of "look at me cross-eyed and I get offended," it's no wonder folks are dropping negative rep points left and right. It's easy to be a faceless troll and hide in the Interweb. Disagree with someone's opinion, drop them five points. What other reasons do you really have to give someone negative rep points: you don't like the info they pass; their annual return isn't high enough; their forum posts take up more than 3 lines (that's definitely me).

I've been on this website for 7 years. While I have occasionally seen a "saucy" disagreement posted (may have been me once - I can neither confirm nor deny >>> Skie probably can :lol: ) that carried on for a few posts until the mods cut it off, it really is a rare thing.

I say get rid of Rep Points and bring back the monthly and yearly trophies. And For the LOVE OF >>>> get that voting bar for the videos off the front page that has been there for three years this month...and we never did get the videos.

Carry on!
Navig8tor
CWO4 (BOSN)
USCG, RET

crondanet5

Post by crondanet5 »

You just got reputation points.

LoGiK

Post by LoGiK »

Useless. Many sites (i.e. bodybuilding.com) use the rep system. People actually "trade reps" as if reps actually mean anything or have any tangible value.
No clue what I'm doing, but willing to learn.

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

It was working until this year. Positive points were earned and negative points were given out sparingly, if at all. I'm not sure if it is simple choice of keeping it or getting rid of it all together--something needs to be done to fix it if it is to be maintained.
Options to consider:
--Perhaps more time on site or posts necessary before giving newcomers any rep power or start out with lower rep power and increase over time if used responsibly.
--Remove reputation power from those who abuse it.
--Limit ability of multiple posters to give points for single post
--Seems that the moderators should have more flexibility to hand out more or less points, either positive or negative, as appropriate and the ability to delete arbitrary or contradictory comments/points.

Chulke

Post by Chulke »

To be fair and honest...I don't really pay attention to the reputation points. People who don't really know what they are talking about tend to prove that fact pretty quickly. Their posts will out them in just a matter of time.

I have given negative points and I have given positive points...it all depends on what you bring to the discussion being presented in the topic of the thread. Most of the time however, I just lurk and read. I find that that is best in most cases. Keeps me out of trouble if you know what I mean....LOL!

Cheers!
Cheers!

Current Strat: Loosely following 152300 and 85660 more the former rather than the later
Current PIP: 24.04

ArrieS

Post by ArrieS »

I don't know why I have any points at all. I'm a HUGE jerk. Aitrus will attest to that I'm sure.
OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

bamablue

Post by bamablue »

These are not 'reputation' points; they are gifts for affirmation of opinion. My opinion, I recommend that the site discontinue any points system.

A contributor can provide service to the site and others by sharing thoughts, analysis, ideas and experience. There are a lot of guys (non-gender specific) who've devoted a lion's share of their skill and intellect to improve our ability to make decisions. I'm dumber than a box of hammers when it comes to investing and TSP (that's all I'll admit to right now). I welcome and appreciate the lively debate and diverse opinions. In the end, it's the differences of opinions that allow people (like me) to invest more wisely. Opinions based on analysis and interpretation are as varied as the people visiting the site. Critical thinking doesn't have to be uncivil criticism and the point system seems to have exposed a lack of civility.

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

ArrieS wrote:I don't know why I have any points at all. I'm a HUGE jerk. Aitrus will attest to that I'm sure.

That you are, but you're like a pug. You're smelly and you shed all over the place, but you're just so darn cute and loveable that we can't send you away.

Seriously, you often bring an outside perspective. You don't always do it with tact, but it's a fresh view on things.
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
Support the site by purchasing a membership at TSPCalc! https://tspcalc.com

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

Everybody, the mods are aware of your thoughts and we're discussing it behind the scenes.
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
Support the site by purchasing a membership at TSPCalc! https://tspcalc.com

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

ArrieS wrote:I don't know why I have any points at all. I'm a HUGE jerk. Aitrus will attest to that I'm sure.

So evilanne and I have no rep because we are too polite? I ought to try the jerk approach.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

Midway

Post by Midway »

I keep trying to give mjedlin66 points but get denied; must spread them around it says.

Fund Prices2024-04-15

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.18 0.04% 1.23%
F $18.64 -0.61% -3.02%
C $79.24 -1.20% 6.56%
S $77.27 -1.66% 0.23%
I $41.14 -0.29% 2.38%
L2065 $15.75 -0.94% 4.19%
L2060 $15.75 -0.94% 4.19%
L2055 $15.76 -0.94% 4.19%
L2050 $31.64 -0.81% 3.38%
L2045 $14.44 -0.76% 3.24%
L2040 $52.80 -0.71% 3.11%
L2035 $13.96 -0.65% 2.96%
L2030 $46.52 -0.59% 2.83%
L2025 $12.97 -0.32% 2.08%
Linc $25.35 -0.25% 1.78%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".