Reputation Points System

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

Should We Keep Reputation Points System?

Yes the reputation points system has a meaningful purpose and should be kept.
4%
No the reputation points system is useless and should be eliminated.
96%

Total votes: 636

TomS88

Re: Reputation Points System

Post by TomS88 »

I find it very disappointing that Mjedlin66 and Anne have negative rep points. If Rep points were an accurate indicator of user credibility then Sig and Timboslice would have a million points each.

Negative rep points should only be given out by the Mods for abusive comments or violating the terms of this site. Also, who's here for rep points? I'm here on how to get the most out of the 2 IFT's we get per month so I can retire comfortably.

Midway

Post by Midway »

I like the ability to reward people that make valuable contributions to the forum. It is a way of saying " good job" without adding a lot of jibberish to a thread. I know it made me feel good when someone I respected took the time to give me points on a post.
If it has no use to you, ignore it. It doesn't affect the meat and potatoes of the forum. The trolls will eventually get bored and find something else to do.

pokiemon

Post by pokiemon »

In my opinion we should eliminate the reputation points system. I view it as bragging, who is smart, who is not, who is popular, who is not that is why I don't like Facebook. But would hate to see the contributors not getting any credit for their hard work or knowledge. I would much prefer making a small donation for every contributors through PayPal that helped me. And no one has to know the good or the bad. Just my two cents!

ocallaghan

Post by ocallaghan »

When I first discovered this site I paid attention a user's reputation points but after a while I started checking their fantasy TSP track record instead. I don't even notice the reputation points any more.

MakeMe$$$$

Post by MakeMe$$$$ »

I agree with some earlier posts that removing the negative rep points and retaining the positive ones could be worth serious consideration. Most of the time I have seen negative points handed out (to me an others) has been when folks get into a pissing contest and make it personal.

Also, I know that there are folks that make solid contributions but seem to suffer in the FantasyTSP accounts. I would rather give rep points to someone that contributes some alternative ideas that might not be the best than waste my time giving negative points to an asshole who is spot on but a pain in the ass to listen too.

I don't think we should penalize the jerk simply for being a jerk. Let the mods deal with them.
Don
Rolled over to Fidelity 2/24/18.
Fantasy still playing with Daily Strategy 12767.

MakeMe$$$$

Post by MakeMe$$$$ »

pokiemon wrote:In my opinion we should eliminate the reputation points system. I view it as bragging, who is smart, who is not, who is popular, who is not that is why I don't like Facebook. But would hate to see the contributors not getting any credit for their hard work or knowledge. I would much prefer making a small donation for every contributors through PayPal that helped me. And no one has to know the good or the bad. Just my two cents!

While I don't put a lot of effort in rep points I do think they can be of some help if we remove the negative points. TSPc does have some control in being able to hand out rep points. As an example, I can't give rep points to someone I just gave points to until I give them out to someone else. I don't totally agree with that but I can see some value to that restriction. It also doesn't allow you to simply hand out rep points all day long either. I think you can do 2 or 3 a day.

I certainly could also see TSPc handing out rep points as part of a system where monthly leaders are recognized. HINT HINT HINT Perhaps the mods could manage that?
Don

MakeMe$$$$

Post by MakeMe$$$$ »

Tomanyiron wrote:Why stop there, why not erase all the trophies? Then eliminate the Fantasy, change it to just a blog, where people can just shoot shit, and never be held accountable, and never have to demonstrate their abilities.
But hold on, wait a cotton picking minute, do you think King really cares about your votes?

Do we still hand out trophies? LOL

As I just posted, perhaps rep points with or instead of trophies is a good option. Many of our trophy winners don't get rep points because they don't often post in conversations.
Don

panda_rama

Post by panda_rama »

Tomanyiron wrote:Why stop there, why not erase all the trophies? Then eliminate the Fantasy, change it to just a blog, where people can just shoot shit, and never be held accountable, and never have to demonstrate their abilities.
But hold on, wait a cotton picking minute, do you think King really cares about your votes?

I think blog would suit majority of us.

Midway

Post by Midway »

Among all the recent points recently awarded to me there was one comment that made me review my participation on this forum and question my treatment of others. I would call that valuable feedback and for that reason I vote to retain the point system.

panda_rama

Post by panda_rama »

ocallaghan wrote:When I first discovered this site I paid attention a user's reputation points but after a while I started checking their fantasy TSP track record instead. I don't even notice the reputation points any more.

I didn't discover the points or even understand how you earn them until about a month ago. Just here for some useful information.

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

panda_rama wrote:I think blog would suit majority of us.
If you want to blog, suggest you use your TSP Fantasy Account thread "panda_rama's FantasyTSP Account" viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12838

I don't even think 10% of the people use their thread, a few do.

wdd09

Post by wdd09 »

evilanne wrote:--cswift01 & wdd09 have received more negative points than they have given and probably have been chased off from posting based recent attacks.

Eh, I know I got some negative rep because I was petty. (I saw someone give someone else negative rep because their name, and I gave them negative rep right back to help defend the other person). I got negative rep flak for that. Besides that, I don't know if I've gotten negative rep on my contributions to the site, possibly some? Either way, I haven't let that stop me from contributing to the site. Some folks enjoy what I say, others do not haha. It's a stupid rating system IMO (no offense to those who really care about it) and I don't let it influence, or keep me silent, what I want to say to others on this site. I'm no longer in the business of caring about rep. I'll say what I believe because I care about what I'm saying. If you don't like it, you can add your opinion, and I'll read it, and then move on.
I follow a monthly seasonal strategy from gclapper (slightly modified). Its moves can be found by searching for strategy number #25727 on http://www.tspcalc.com

sunnylee

Post by sunnylee »

Aitrus wrote:Everybody, the mods are aware of your thoughts and we're discussing it behind the scenes.

MakeMe$$$$ wrote:It seems pretty obvious that the overwhelming survey results indicate the desire to scrap rep points. Time to move on?

pokiemon wrote:In my opinion we should eliminate the reputation points system. I view it as bragging, who is smart, who is not, who is popular, who is not that is why I don't like Facebook. But would hate to see the contributors not getting any credit for their hard work or knowledge. I would much prefer making a small donation for every contributors through PayPal that helped me. And no one has to know the good or the bad. Just my two cents!

At last count it was 96% in favor of scraping the point system. And with a significant vote total.

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

It was working just fine until this year and the influx of newbies that appear to be from the same organization. Five-O complained about getting -5 negative points from maui21ice, viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13418, ended up with +10 net sympathy Rep Points in the process but Five-O started giving out negative points once he got rep power :( If you look at the rep points at maul21ice, viewreputation.php?id=15414, the red (negative) and gray (no rep power) comments from 13 Jan 2017 onwards is a pretty good list of the group that appear to be working together, some have refrained from giving out negative points. Maui21ice was correct in noting that some of the posts in the thread Five-O started were purely fictional.

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts. The no-counts don’t count. But we can count on Anne to count the no-counts.
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

Fund Prices2024-03-28

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.15 0.05% 1.05%
F $19.08 -0.06% -0.74%
C $82.21 0.11% 10.55%
S $82.43 0.30% 6.92%
I $42.57 -0.24% 5.95%
L2065 $16.38 0.02% 8.37%
L2060 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2055 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2050 $32.73 0.01% 6.95%
L2045 $14.91 0.02% 6.58%
L2040 $54.38 0.02% 6.22%
L2035 $14.34 0.02% 5.79%
L2030 $47.67 0.02% 5.38%
L2025 $13.15 0.03% 3.43%
Linc $25.61 0.03% 2.82%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".