Data Calls

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

Jokerswild

Data Calls

Post by Jokerswild »

Pardon my tspcenter historical ignorance, but what is the use of these Friday data calls anymore? I read that prior to tapping into some solid seasonal strategies, these data calls would assist members with seeing what other people were leaning on for the following week or so. If I'm wrong, someone can correct me please. But for the last several weeks I keep seeing people confidently saying we are having a bull market and the best fund is G. This serves no purpose to say we have a bullish market and the very best fund to be in is the one where you get .01% daily.

Clearly we can see now on the leaderboards as well as the pending allocations what the majority of members are doing on any given day. I just feel that the Data Calls are a waste of space and could cause some confusion to a less informed member. Perhaps I'm missing something that one of the moderators can explain better :D
Shawn AKA "Joker"

"How many millionaires do you know who have become wealthy by investing in savings accounts? I rest my case." - Robert G. Allen

evilanne

Re: Data Calls

Post by evilanne »

What data calls are you talking about?

Jokerswild

Post by Jokerswild »

evilanne wrote:What data calls are you talking about?

On the top of the TSPCENTER home page, every Friday it asks for your input on market direction, best performer, and worst performer. Then it'll post next week showing what the majority of people voted as the best fund to be in and the shunned one.
Shawn AKA "Joker"

"How many millionaires do you know who have become wealthy by investing in savings accounts? I rest my case." - Robert G. Allen

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

I never even noticed that. Does anyone actually respond?

You are right...it really doesn't seem to make sense IMO with high percentage bullish...why would favored account be G?

Jokerswild

Post by Jokerswild »

evilanne wrote:I never even noticed that. Does anyone actually respond?

You are right...it really doesn't seem to make sense IMO with high percentage bullish...why would favored account be G?

When I first joined this site around March, each week actually kind of followed the most preferred fund according to the seasonal strategy by Aitrus for the most part. But for the last several weeks whomever is "voting" is putting G as preferred and F as shunned..... but 98% say we are in a bullish market.... SMDH. Hence why I asked this question, does this still serve any value and if so, how are we supposed to use it because clearly it's not helping anyone if you use it as an indicator on how to invest, unless you want to miss out on huge gains.
Shawn AKA "Joker"

Navig8tor

Post by Navig8tor »

I would offer that I personally don't t think the data call is an accurate depiction of the upcoming week's predicted market action. It's simply a "guess." Part of the prediction is based on "an unnamed industry source," the remainder is comprised of TSP Center user's "opinions." The combination gives a "best guess" indicator of which direction we THINK the market will go during the upcoming week.

If you go back and look at the history of the data calls, you'll see numerous instances is which you had TWO best funds to be in, and TWO worst funds to be in. To keep the numbers easy, say four people voted. They voted one (S), one (C), one (F) and one (G). So you're numbers would come out 50% bears/50% bulls and you'd show TWO "best" funds and TWO "worst" funds.

That's an "easy scenario" to visualize how the math goes into figuring the Bull-Bear spread and how you can wind up with a totally hosed market prediction.

In any case, I wouldn't be using the tool to determine my next move.
Navig8tor
CWO4 (BOSN)
USCG, RET

부산釜山

Post by 부산釜山 »

I didn't even know it exited. Hmmm.

MakeMe$$$$

Post by MakeMe$$$$ »

I think if it was renamed to "User's best Guess and Personal Opinions Prognosticator For Next Week" it might make more sense. LOL

It took me a couple years to understand what it was about. It is nothing but a SWAG (stupid/silly/scientific/shitty wild ass guess).

The fact that the G fund has been the best and the F fund has been the worst for 8 week straight tell me folks don't know what it is.
Don
Rolled over to Fidelity 2/24/18.
Fantasy still playing with Daily Strategy 12767.

Jokerswild

Post by Jokerswild »

So my guess is that this also was driven by a hack or fake accounts. We had a major surge of new accounts over the last few months, and they all follow suit for IFTs so why not also try to impact the decisions of investors by using the data calls as well?
Shawn AKA "Joker"

Fund Prices2024-04-17

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.25%
F $18.68 0.50% -2.85%
C $78.62 -0.58% 5.72%
S $76.27 -0.89% -1.07%
I $40.66 -0.17% 1.19%
L2065 $15.60 -0.47% 3.17%
L2060 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2055 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2050 $31.39 -0.35% 2.57%
L2045 $14.34 -0.33% 2.47%
L2040 $52.43 -0.31% 2.41%
L2035 $13.87 -0.28% 2.31%
L2030 $46.25 -0.25% 2.24%
L2025 $12.93 -0.12% 1.78%
Linc $25.29 -0.09% 1.55%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".