Support Logical Participation

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

Tomanyiron

Support Logical Participation

Post by Tomanyiron »

We’ve had a rash of trolls invading the site lately. And it appears their sole intent is to cause havoc. With genuine hard working contributions getting penalized with negative reputation points. The comments associated have been very juvenile with little credibility. Now the reputation point system it self is in jeopardy, with talk of scraping it. This behavior should not be rewarded with that structural change to the site.

The authentic membership still outnumbers the subverters. The rational members’s involvement can stop the destabilization. We do that by countering the negative points with positive ones. I admit I have been lazy about awarding points myself. However now when I see good contributions, I will bestow as many points as the system will allow. If I get the “must spread them around” message, then I give points to other members who support those contributors.

Help me help us restrain this turn of unpleasant events. mjedlin66 and evilanne have received the most unjust treatment. These are getting negative points for just agreeing with logical contributions.
12squared
Wisepierre
Midway

If I missed some I apologize (please add).

If you are unsure how to award points, please PM me.
Last edited by Tomanyiron on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

Navig8tor

Re: Support Logical Participation

Post by Navig8tor »

Yen's are letting this Rep Point thing get under your skin, and for what >>> Does your "Rep Point Number" matter for anything related to putting real money in your pocket or food on your table. Let the troll's troll, the argumentative argue and let the Rep Point system go.

I get your point >>> Everyone else does push-ups for Private Pyle stealing a doughnut <<<

If the Rep Point system had never been established, would you even miss it? In that case, would we be asking the MODS to invent some kind of "reward system" for "good posts"?

For those who "contribute," ALL of you do a great job providing knowledge, charts, investing advice and opinions. From site MODS, charting technicians and hardcore TSP investors alike; a lot of great TSP info comes across these forums. There will always be those who choose to participate in popularity contests and/or constant criticism. I think it benefits all of us to ignore both of those parties and continue to go about our business. As well, not everyone is going to appreciate the efforts, work, or opinions that we offer >>> SO WHAT...WHO CARES!! We're all entitled to an opinion; just so happens some are more ignorant that others. That's the world we live in today: everyone has rights, hurt feelings, thin skin and retaliatory attitudes.

The last vote count I saw on the Rep Point system was like 442-20 in favor of removing it from the site. Removing it won't effect the info flow on the site and as someone else pointed out, do we really need a "like/dislike" system on a financial website? If a reader doesn't like what he/she reads on the forum, they can either offer a counter-opinion or "change the channel." In the grand scheme of things, whether or not they LIKE the post should be of no concern to the OP. I don't like liver...so I don't eat it. If someone doesn't like me because I don't like liver, I'm not losing any sleep over that fact.

I read a post from someone that said something along the lines of, "There are a lot of people of this site who are holier than thou." I don't know "who" that post was directed at; however, if "holier than thou" means a regular CONTRIBUTOR who offers knowledge and investing advice >>> THAT'S WHAT THIS SITE IS FOR!! If that particular comment was centered on a personal tiff that resulted in someone getting negative rep points, COME ON MAN >>> handle your affairs like an adult and move on. I've been on this site for 7 years. I don't see any "holier than thou" attitudes. I do, however, see about 25 regular posters so if that's the "holier than thou" crowd the post was aimed at...work you way in there and start offering some insight.

This thing is starting to get like the high school popularity contest during Christmas in which cheerleaders give out big candy canes to the football players they're crushing on. Someone always get left out and winds up with hurt feelings. Is that what this great website has been relegated to, hurt feelings over rep points??
Navig8tor
CWO4 (BOSN)
USCG, RET

mmmmmbeer

Post by mmmmmbeer »

If he dies, he dies.
Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

Thanks Navig8tor, I acknowledge the wisdom of your words. Kind of like something I heard about grudges , "Stop giving someone free rent in your brain".

So other that adding names to the four above, I shall stop posting about it. But I will continue to award points, trying to offset the stupid ones given.

crondanet5

Post by crondanet5 »

mmmmmbeer y'ever look at your rep point comments? They say something positive but gave you negative points. Huh? Maybe everybody should look at their rep points to better understand what is being awarded.

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

mmmmmbeer only has positive points...newbies must all be beer connoisseurs :wink:

Tomany, don't worry about me...I'm not going anywhere. If they want to try and contradict anyone I give positive points to or any positive points I receive, let them--it is really counter productive to give me any positive points.

Newbies should really focus on contributing to the forum by posting to the threads. I really like the thread that mmmmmbeer started "How do you compare to others at your station in life?" viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12621 I doubt that the trolls are willing to share honestly but it is a good place to see where you stand in comparison to your peers.

mmmmmbeer

Post by mmmmmbeer »

crondanet5 wrote:mmmmmbeer y'ever look at your rep point comments? They say something positive but gave you negative points. Huh? Maybe everybody should look at their rep points to better understand what is being awarded.

Naw.. I really didn't look too much at it sir. I guess put me in the camp of, hey... glad I can contribute something, but not to worried about folks not liking something.

Folks have opinions.... or just venting, or just goofing. Meh... it's all good. First world problems brothers and sisters. :D

If that's the bad stuff in our lives then we must be doing pretty good... right on, right on, right on. :)
Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.

MakeMe$$$$

Post by MakeMe$$$$ »

Tomanyiron wrote:We’ve had a rash of trolls invading the site lately. And it appears their sole intent is to cause havoc. ...

This might be unpopular but...show them the door.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that vigorous debate and sometimes testy responses are wrong but trolls can and should be ejected. This issue is mostly a separate issue from rep points.
Last edited by MakeMe$$$$ on Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don
Rolled over to Fidelity 2/24/18.
Fantasy still playing with Daily Strategy 12767.

Midway

Post by Midway »

:D Yeah! I got points!!

crondanet5

Post by crondanet5 »

mmmmmbeer, it is not the comments, it is the color of the point that determines positive or negative. All your comments are positive but some points given to you were negative. And that is one of the issues under discussion. Especially when the person who gave you the negative points/positive comment last checked into the site in February.

ridgeline

Post by ridgeline »

crondanet5 wrote:mmmmmbeer, it is not the comments, it is the color of the point that determines positive or negative. All your comments are positive but some points given to you were negative. And that is one of the issues under discussion. Especially when the person who gave you the negative points/positive comment last checked into the site in February.

evilanne is correct. mmmmmbeer does not have any negative points. He's only got either green or gray squares next to each comment. GREENs are positive. GRAYs mean the points giver did not have enough reputaion power to bestow points either way. REDs are negative. mmmmmbeer does not have any REDs.

nodak

Post by nodak »

Tomanyiron wrote:We’ve had a rash of trolls invading the site lately. And it appears their sole intent is to cause havoc.

Shhh, nothing to talk about here, just keep moving along. :D

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

nodak wrote:
Tomanyiron wrote:We’ve had a rash of trolls invading the site lately. And it appears their sole intent is to cause havoc.

Your shtick getting old! :lol:
Shtick, a gimmick, comic routine, style of performance, etc., associated with a particular person.

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

Midway wrote::D Yeah! I got points!!

For those that don't think much of points, they sure to use that feature an awful lot :roll: Even after Message from Mods: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14549 Good thing many don't have any rep power yet.

nodak

Post by nodak »

Tomanyiron wrote:
nodak wrote:

Your shtick getting old! :lol:
Shtick, a gimmick, comic routine, style of performance, etc., associated with a particular person.

Good, the fact that it is getting old is the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNOrp_83RU

Fund Prices2024-03-28

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.15 0.05% 1.05%
F $19.08 -0.06% -0.74%
C $82.21 0.11% 10.55%
S $82.43 0.30% 6.92%
I $42.57 -0.24% 5.95%
L2065 $16.38 0.02% 8.37%
L2060 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2055 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2050 $32.73 0.01% 6.95%
L2045 $14.91 0.02% 6.58%
L2040 $54.38 0.02% 6.22%
L2035 $14.34 0.02% 5.79%
L2030 $47.67 0.02% 5.38%
L2025 $13.15 0.03% 3.43%
Linc $25.61 0.03% 2.82%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".