TSP Fund "Alerts" based on Moving Average?

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

Timber82

TSP Fund "Alerts" based on Moving Average?

Post by Timber82 »

Anyone know a website out there I could set some sort of alert to tell me when a TSP fund drops below a specified moving average I.e. C fund closes below the 50 Day Moving Average you would receive a email or text.?

Thanks!

Jokerswild

Re: TSP Fund "Alerts" based on Moving Average?

Post by Jokerswild »

Timber82 wrote:Anyone know a website out there I could set some sort of alert to tell me when a TSP fund drops below a specified moving average I.e. C fund closes below the 50 Day Moving Average you would receive a email or text.?

Thanks!

Only thing I can think of, is to be part of a trading platform such as tradingview.com and identify the core index funds that represent the appropriate TSP fund. For ex. DWCPF would be the dow index funds that are closest to the S fund. Now that you're watching those specific tickers, set up an alert to flag when both MAs converge. it will require you to do some technical analysis though, and that kind of training can be found through multiple resources online such as investopedia or youtube.

I could be wrong, because the internet and the multitude of people out there all looking to gain an edge, may have something that does all the work for you but to be honest, if the stock market was as plug and play as "hey, can you send me a text when I should sell or buy" without doing your own DD, then everyone would be rich and the average of 90% of ALL traders being unsuccessful might be a thing of the past. Hopefully though, you find what works best for you.
Shawn AKA "Joker"

"How many millionaires do you know who have become wealthy by investing in savings accounts? I rest my case." - Robert G. Allen

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

Joker hit the nail on the head. If you track the underlying index instead of the TSP fund, then there are a plethora of options for getting e-mail alerts. However, the I fund does not track a readily available index.

My website may some day include technical analysis tools such as this, but that is at least a year out. I want to fully develop the seasonal tools first.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

DogPyle71

Post by DogPyle71 »

The Tactical Thrift website may be what you are looking for. It tracks the 10 month moving averages for the C, S and I funds:

http://tactical-thrift.herokuapp.com/

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

DogPyle71 wrote:The Tactical Thrift website may be what you are looking for. It tracks the 10 month moving averages for the C, S and I funds:

http://tactical-thrift.herokuapp.com/

This is neat. Thank you for sharing.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

Timber82

Post by Timber82 »

Thanks guys I guess I should have specified TSP funds or indexes, I am having trouble tracking a free service that will alert me when something crosses a average, I can get 1000's of alerts when it goes up or down $x/ x% but cant find onw that says when it crosses this MA then send em a text. I have an account with Interactive brokers for my fun money and I have alerts to tell me weh nSP goes down by 2.5% in a day but other than that no luck finding the moving averages alert. Ill keep looking :). MJedlin, great website btw, you seem to know this better than "I" do (pun intended), your mention above talks about the I fund not tracking a readily available index, I have marked these vanguard funds as the closest comparison however without going through the trouble of doing an Ifund vs xxx I cant say for certain how well close it is so I may be wrong but anyways (VTGMX,VTIAX, VFWAX,VGTSX)

Also just a side note, I do not intend to use the crossing as a buy/sell, more of a signal to start keeping a closer eye on it.

tommd

Post by tommd »

Two years late to the party here.

I was thinking of this exact thing - getting "heads up" notifications on funds based on some statistic. Seeing as it isn't available I'm considering just building it and charging a few bucks / year to keep the cost of the server + SMS service in check. Let me know if you're interested and I'll follow up.

Fund Prices2024-04-18

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.27%
F $18.62 -0.30% -3.14%
C $78.45 -0.21% 5.50%
S $76.12 -0.20% -1.27%
I $40.67 0.02% 1.21%
L2065 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2060 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2055 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2050 $31.35 -0.13% 2.44%
L2045 $14.32 -0.12% 2.35%
L2040 $52.37 -0.11% 2.29%
L2035 $13.85 -0.10% 2.21%
L2030 $46.21 -0.09% 2.15%
L2025 $12.93 -0.05% 1.72%
Linc $25.28 -0.04% 1.51%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".