Hello from Thailand

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

Nowisee

Hello from Thailand

Post by Nowisee »

In 1989 I started work in Arizona for the Dept of Justice at 28 years old.
In 2012 I retired at 50.
Moved to Seattle for a year and in 2013 I sold everything I owned and moved to Thailand to live for a while and travel around this part of the world.

My TSP continues to grow, I’m currently living off my FERS and income from my stock dividends.
In the past 5 years I haven’t made more than 3 IFT.
My “hobby” is retail investing and I don’t see a need to try and time the market with TSP.

I just joined the site, but look forward to reading some of the threads and hope to meet some like minded people.

evilanne

Re: Hello from Thailand

Post by evilanne »

Greeting Nowisee.

You should take a look at the seasonal mixes, either monthly (Aitrus' Seasonal Musing in the forum) or daily (tspcalc.com and several threads in the forum) and compare to your current earnings in TSP. Wishing you many positive returns!

Navig8tor

Post by Navig8tor »

Nowisee wrote:In 1989 I started work in Arizona for the Dept of Justice at 28 years old.
In 2012 I retired at 50.
Moved to Seattle for a year and in 2013 I sold everything I owned and moved to Thailand to live for a while and travel around this part of the world.

My TSP continues to grow, I’m currently living off my FERS and income from my stock dividends.
My “hobby” is retail investing and I don’t see a need to try and time the market with TSP.

I just joined the site, but look forward to reading some of the threads and hope to meet some like minded people.

I have to ask...I see a lot of "I's" in your post and not a single "we." Did you head to Thailand by yourself?

I put some research into retiring in a number of "Expat" areas abroad but "I" have a lot of "we's" who frowned upon the idea.
Navig8tor
CWO4 (BOSN)
USCG, RET

JimmyV

Post by JimmyV »

You moved to Thailand in 2013. Are you still there? My wife is from Udon Thani and we have considered moving there when I retire at least part time.

mmmmmbeer

Post by mmmmmbeer »

Welcome! My wife and I too want to travel in 7 years when I hit 50 as a LEO.
Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

I'm in Bangkok right now. I already hate every tuktuk driver.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

pokiemon

Post by pokiemon »

mjedlin66 wrote:I'm in Bangkok right now. I already hate every tuktuk driver.

Tuktuk drivers are known to have a bad reputation. They overcharge, their attitude stinks if you don't agree with them, or take you to an unwanted place, like to their sponsors before your destination.

mjedlin66
Site Admin

Post by mjedlin66 »

pokiemon wrote:
mjedlin66 wrote:I'm in Bangkok right now. I already hate every tuktuk driver.

Tuktuk drivers are known to have a bad reputation. They overcharge, their attitude stinks if you don't agree with them, or take you to an unwanted place, like to their sponsors before your destination.

We experienced all that and more, yesterday. We had one tuktuk hired to take us to our hotel and he said " it is right around the corner here". We paid, got out, and walked a mile to our hotel. Two different people that I approached with my map in hand just turned away from me as I walked up to them.

A different tuktuk driver convinced us that he would show us several downtown tourist sites for 50 baht (less than two dollars). I was weary that it was some sort of trap, but nothing I had read online suggested we would be unsafe, so we did it. Turns out, this is just a big scam. He took us to two sites and then to a tailor. "Last day, good suit." We spent half an hour in the store. The were good salesmen. It took me half an hour to realize that I didn't want to buy a tailored suit. We bought some scarves and left. Then that same tuktuk driver took us to another tailor.

Later we were going into wat pho and someone sweeping the sidewalk stopped us to talk to us. He told us that "wat pho is closed for my leader. Come back at 1:30." Then he proceeded to tell us how lucky we are, and about other temples we should go see "open only once per year. You are so lucky." Turns out he was working with the tuktuk drivers.

We had yet another tuktuk quote 400 baht for a trip that had cost us 100 baht by taxi that morning.

Only taxis from here on out.
Owner/creator of TSPcalc.com - "Know your numbers"

pokiemon

Post by pokiemon »

Omgoodness, Mjedlin66 , sorry to hear about your incidents with the tuktuk drivers. Their scam business has been going on for years. I figured everyone knew that by now, even the staff at every hotel in Bangkok that should have warned their guests.

I hope things turn out much better in days ahead for you guys and taxis the way to go, metered taxis.

Ofsthun01

Post by Ofsthun01 »

My wife and I were in Thailand back in March and we read a lot of travel blogs before going. The consensus was stay away from tuktuk drivers! Which we did, and we never step foot in a tailor or a destination which we didn't want to go to. We had a great time, and tuktuks are at the very least, interesting to look at with all their decoration.
Your Free Financial Advisor. Zero trading costs
https://www.wisebanyan.com/referral/92F0PFFWI

Nowisee

Post by Nowisee »

evilanne: Not sure what all that means.

Navig8tor: Gotta grab the bull by the horns. I, me, we, she... hahaha.

JimmyV: Yep, still here in the north of Thailand. UT is ok, part-time is good idea, you may find yourself bored silly.

mmmmbeer: Nice profile name... I enjoy seeing different places, but really hate long haul flights and don't like hurried travel. The short flights around here are ridiculously cheap. I flew to Kuala Lumpur last month for $24.

Here I've never taken a tuktuk and only rarely take a songtaew and only once taken a taxi. Grab is soooo easy and all I use now.
In Bangkok I stick with the BTS and I enjoy walking a lot, taxi or Grab when necessary.

Kuala Lumpur is much easier to navigate, excellent train system and more walkable. Great food scene there. Friendly people.

Saigon is getting much better too, I take the bus a lot and taxis are straight and fair.
The markets in Saigon are an experience and fun IMO.
The people are very cool and friendly.

Just be aware of scams and Thailand is the land of scams.
The key is knowing what you want, where it is, how much it costs and how to get there....hahaha.
For some, especially when they see a farang (foreigner), they see money and have very little ethics about how they make it.

There are some great bargains to be had. My motorcycle and mountain bike were significantly lower than the US.
Medical is cheaper and I had dental work done for less than my co-pay in the US.

Anyway, the market is getting ready to open here. 14 hours ahead, so time to play.

Sa wat dee

homeslice

Post by homeslice »

Nowisee wrote:In 1989 I started work in Arizona for the Dept of Justice at 28 years old.
In 2012 I retired at 50.

Welcome and happy retirement. Enjoy the life you worked for.

Fund Prices2024-04-16

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.24%
F $18.58 -0.32% -3.33%
C $79.08 -0.21% 6.34%
S $76.95 -0.41% -0.18%
I $40.73 -0.98% 1.37%
L2065 $15.67 -0.50% 3.66%
L2060 $15.67 -0.50% 3.67%
L2055 $15.68 -0.50% 3.67%
L2050 $31.50 -0.44% 2.93%
L2045 $14.38 -0.41% 2.81%
L2040 $52.59 -0.38% 2.72%
L2035 $13.91 -0.35% 2.60%
L2030 $46.37 -0.32% 2.50%
L2025 $12.95 -0.18% 1.90%
Linc $25.31 -0.14% 1.64%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".