Value funds?

Post by cswift01 »

I haven't heard this much great talk about value funds in a long time:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-to ... 2017-09-21

Enjoy!

SnareMV17

Re: Value funds?

Post by SnareMV17 »

I read this off my fed smith email this morning. Good read. My question, though, is this: If we continue to get similar returns as many of the daily seasonal strategies have fetched in the past, why would someone do anything other than mimic the same strategy in their Roth IRA?
"Get your money for nothin', and your chicks for free."

Following TSPCalc strategy #64902.

hmarkway

Post by hmarkway »

Can someone explain what value funds or "small-cap value stocks", as referenced in the article, are? I'm not quite sure what that is referring to. I'll obviously go research it this weekend, but if anyone has any quick insight to share, that would be great.
Current Allocation: 50/50 split F/G Funds, as of 1/3/2018
Strategy: Loosely following Daily Seasonal #16198 until I figure out my 2018 plan when all the main plans start diverging.

MakeMe$$$$

Post by MakeMe$$$$ »

SnareMV17 wrote:I read this off my fed smith email this morning. Good read. My question, though, is this: If we continue to get similar returns as many of the daily seasonal strategies have fetched in the past, why would someone do anything other than mimic the same strategy in their Roth IRA?

I was thinking about this line of thought for my non-TSP investments. My biggest concern is that the costs of trading might bring down the total profit enough to give some pause before doing it. That isn't an issue with TSP trading.

Keep in mind that my non-TSP investment "portolio" isn't huge. I'm kinda embarrassed to call it a real portfolio :lol: Still, with the current crop of low cost trading sites, perhaps I need to do some better homework on this issue.
Don
Rolled over to Fidelity 2/24/18.
Fantasy still playing with Daily Strategy 12767.

Timber82

Post by Timber82 »

MakeMe$$$$ wrote:
SnareMV17 wrote:I read this off my fed smith email this morning. Good read. My question, though, is this: If we continue to get similar returns as many of the daily seasonal strategies have fetched in the past, why would someone do anything other than mimic the same strategy in their Roth IRA?

I was thinking about this line of thought for my non-TSP investments. My biggest concern is that the costs of trading might bring down the total profit enough to give some pause before doing it. That isn't an issue with TSP trading.

Keep in mind that my non-TSP investment "portolio" isn't huge. I'm kinda embarrassed to call it a real portfolio :lol: Still, with the current crop of low cost trading sites, perhaps I need to do some better homework on this issue.

Vanguard Vanguard Vanguard. No vommission when you buy mutf and etfs in the vanguard family. Search vanguard in here and I have posted the equivalent funds I use in the IRA.

SnareMV17

Post by SnareMV17 »

Yeah, Vanguard funds are extremely close to TSP funds in terms of fees. Especially admiral funds.

bamafamily

Post by bamafamily »

I have 2 Roth's I just started 2 years ago and 2 non-TSP accounts.
I am currently running different strategies in them than the TSP Seasonals....

I think the reason I am hesitant to put all my eggs on one basket (so to speak) is that my accounts would then not be diversified.... Am i risking the chance of missing out on bigger gains??? Maybe...my other accounts will hopefully bring in about the same CAGR as the seasonals.....but just through different methods....
Should 1 "strategy" fail miserably, I did not lose the entire basket....just a few eggs....
Bama

SnareMV17

Post by SnareMV17 »

Diversification... what an overused buzzword. If you have the winning formula, you gotta let it ride, lol.

cswift01

Post by cswift01 »

bamafamily wrote:

I think the reason I am hesitant to put all my eggs on one basket (so to speak) is that my accounts would then not be diversified.... Am i risking the chance of missing out on bigger gains??? Maybe...my other accounts will hopefully bring in about the same CAGR as the seasonals.....but just through different methods....
Should 1 "strategy" fail miserably, I did not lose the entire basket....just a few eggs....

I'm with you. My roth is heavily focused on English banks and my own investments are on US banks. I think that's the next growth area.

mhayes

Post by mhayes »

I have Vanguard PRIMECAP Fund Investor shares and thinking about selling my shares and buy something else. I noticed this fund is closed to new investors and wonder if this is something worth keeping?

hmarkway

Post by hmarkway »

bamafamily wrote:

Put all your eggs in one basket and forget about it. http://jlcollinsnh.com/2012/05/12/stock ... ur-wealth/

Wisdom that we obviously aren't following with our TSPs while messing with seasonal strategies, but I do think JL Collins has a lot of great things to say in his stock series. And I had to link in his theory on eggs in a basket.
Current Allocation: 50/50 split F/G Funds, as of 1/3/2018
Strategy: Loosely following Daily Seasonal #16198 until I figure out my 2018 plan when all the main plans start diverging.

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

hmarkway wrote:
bamafamily wrote:I think the reason I am hesitant to put all my eggs on one basket (so to speak) is that my accounts would then not be diversified.... Am i risking the chance of missing out on bigger gains??? Maybe...my other accounts will hopefully bring in about the same CAGR as the seasonals.....but just through different methods....

Put all your eggs in one basket and forget about it. http://jlcollinsnh.com/2012/05/12/stock ... ur-wealth/

Wisdom that we obviously aren't following with our TSPs while messing with seasonal strategies, but I do think JL Collins has a lot of great things to say in his stock series. And I had to link in his theory on eggs in a basket.

I thought is was Put all your eggs in one basket "and then watch that basket." Attributable to Andrew Carnegie https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/02/16/eggs/

sakae90

Post by sakae90 »

mhayes wrote:I have Vanguard PRIMECAP Fund Investor shares and thinking about selling my shares and buy something else. I noticed this fund is closed to new investors and wonder if this is something worth keeping?

https://investorplace.com/how-to-invest/funds/mutual-funds/closed/#.Wcf1N9QrKt8

Fund Prices2024-03-28

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.15 0.05% 1.05%
F $19.08 -0.06% -0.74%
C $82.21 0.11% 10.55%
S $82.43 0.30% 6.92%
I $42.57 -0.24% 5.95%
L2065 $16.38 0.02% 8.37%
L2060 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2055 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2050 $32.73 0.01% 6.95%
L2045 $14.91 0.02% 6.58%
L2040 $54.38 0.02% 6.22%
L2035 $14.34 0.02% 5.79%
L2030 $47.67 0.02% 5.38%
L2025 $13.15 0.03% 3.43%
Linc $25.61 0.03% 2.82%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".