TSP Retirement Question

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

crondanet5

Re: TSP Retirement Question

Post by crondanet5 »

Winner youy have moved far beyond TSP Program investing. Don't you love the fact you can trade many more times a month than the TSP allows? How do you explain that concept to federal employees who are blinded into thinking the TSP Program is the greatest investment program ever?

Winner

Post by Winner »

cron,

It's depend on each individual and how comfortable they are with their money. Just like I told you long time ago that trading options is better and less capital to earn couple hundred than day trade on couple of blue chip stocks. But if you serious about day trade or swing trade then I know a 27 years old guy who turn $15K to over $3M in less than 5 years. He's going to start out next month (10/2) with $25k to $1M and expect two years or less. He made over $1M for ytd. He is going to show how and where he get the info and stocks to invest on your own instead of just follow him. Like all other services won't shares their secret where they find their info or how they determine the entry point, exit point (both stop lost and profit). Even I'm conformable with trading options, but I'm not getting it consistency and unable to find stock daily for me to trade. So I want to learn from him that where he find his info through the open source and how to determine (catalyst) that moving the stock or break through (I want to learn how he is fishing instead of give me a fish). OPTIONS trading is not his specialty.
“A brave man knows the circumstances and consequences of what he may encounter ahead…..but moves forward anyway.”

Snapdragon

Post by Snapdragon »

I opened a Roth IRA for my husband. Right now thinking part of the TSP will go there so we have more investment options and the benefits of a Roth IRA. TSP is supposed to be getting more flexible about getting access to our money. Sounds like its a for sure thing, but of course takes forever for it to actually happen.

Winner

Post by Winner »

Snapdragon wrote:I opened a Roth IRA for my husband. Right now thinking part of the TSP will go there so we have more investment options and the benefits of a Roth IRA. TSP is supposed to be getting more flexible about getting access to our money. Sounds like its a for sure thing, but of course takes forever for it to actually happen.

Since I transferred partial ($14.9K) of my tsp ROTH to ROTH IRA. My current balance is $17.1K or increase 14% since I received the funds 3 weeks ago by selling OPTIONS spread out of the money (OTM). Majority are selling Put spread: Sell Put spread for stock or EFT trade side way or up and Sell Call spread when they trade side way or down. I try to use $1K by using similar to daily strategy instead of buy, I sold Put spread and get return equivalent to $50K in my tsp.
“A brave man knows the circumstances and consequences of what he may encounter ahead…..but moves forward anyway.”

Snapdragon

Post by Snapdragon »

Winner wrote:Since I transferred partial ($14.9K) of my tsp ROTH to ROTH IRA. My current balance is $17.1K or increase 14% since I received the funds 3 weeks ago by selling OPTIONS spread out of the money (OTM). Majority are selling Put spread: Sell Put spread for stock or EFT trade side way or up and Sell Call spread when they trade side way or down. I try to use $1K by using similar to daily strategy instead of buy, I sold Put spread and get return equivalent to $50K in my tsp.

I'm not sure what all you said, but I do gather it is options. I don't understand options. I currently do not have the desire nor the time to learn options. Maybe when I'm older.

Timber82

Post by Timber82 »

I have mentioned in another thread that I am very new to options myself to the point I have only sold covered calls for a couple bucks here an there. can you explain this a bit more
"using similar to daily strategy instead of buy, I sold Put spread and get return equivalent to $50K in my tsp."

So your using the Daily strategy to make put spreads instead of buying up those funds. Are you buying or selling put spreads, are these all expiring the current or next month, how do you determine the spread you are going with? What is your risk or what would have to happen for you to lose money?

repinda808

Post by repinda808 »

crondanet5 wrote:Winner youy have moved far beyond TSP Program investing. Don't you love the fact you can trade many more times a month than the TSP allows? How do you explain that concept to federal employees who are blinded into thinking the TSP Program is the greatest investment program ever?

Crondanet,

Here's what I think you continue to fail to see:

1-TSP is the 401K option for us FERS employees. You only get the 5% matching if you participate in it. Otherwise, you only get 1%.
2-Not everyone on these boards is retired or within 5 years of retirement. Therefore, transferring our money into these vehicles you advocate is not an option right now.
3-By continuing to advocate something that most of us will ignore right now is marginalizing your message. I totally understand what you're trying to pass on, but am not interested in it because that option is very far down the road for me.
4-We are on a TSP community forum. Why would we be here if not to learn more about how to better utilize this investment vehicle? If the site was to advocate "A better way than TSP" then maybe your message would be better received because your audience would be different.

Like I mentioned, I get what you want to say. However, your message is seriously turning into "noise" for me.
2020 Seasonal Strategy 86299

Snapdragon

Post by Snapdragon »

I think Cron's message belongs here. I have a long ways to go, but the hubby is close. People are all across the board. That is one of the cool things about this website. Talk about now, plan for the future. Even if I was retired, I would probably have money in TSP and in a ROTH IRA. Its nice to go to 1 website where you can chat with people that care about the whole picture. Granted a whole picture for 1 person maybe different than anothers and there could be a lack of interest, but then I just move on to a different thread.

repinda808

Post by repinda808 »

Snapdragon wrote:I think Cron's message belongs here. I have a long ways to go, but the hubby is close. People are all across the board. That is one of the cool things about this website. Talk about now, plan for the future. Even if I was retired, I would probably have money in TSP and in a ROTH IRA. Its nice to go to 1 website where you can chat with people that care about the whole picture. Granted a whole picture for 1 person maybe different than anothers and there could be a lack of interest, but then I just move on to a different thread.

Valid point. However, when you hijack 100s of threads pushing something that is not the point of the community you will receive some push back. The above was me pushing back.
2020 Seasonal Strategy 86299

Winner

Post by Winner »

Winner wrote:My TSP is in F funds (I want to max out so I started to follow daily strategy last couple days since I'm really bad on guessing the market closing price on SCI-F), but S funds looking good for long term, so I bought for under $1.5k for both to control 1,000 shares each on IWM with target 15% along with TNA (15%*3).

IWM & TNA up more than 2% & 6% today.

Winner

Post by Winner »

Timber82 wrote:I have mentioned in another thread that I am very new to options myself to the point I have only sold covered calls for a couple bucks here an there. can you explain this a bit more
"using similar to daily strategy instead of buy, I sold Put spread and get return equivalent to $50K in my tsp."

So your using the Daily strategy to make put spreads instead of buying up those funds. Are you buying or selling put spreads, are these all expiring the current or next month, how do you determine the spread you are going with? What is your risk or what would have to happen for you to lose money?

Like one of the strategy to move in I fund then transfer to G on Friday
Here is last week close:
I sold PUT spread to get credit
Sold $68
Bought $67 for protection (this is normally I do)
But this week I also bought $68 call for a total debit of $.25 and close CALL at $.45 and let put expire worthless

Since the daily strategy is go to G for next week, so I bought 20 contacts Put spread within 30 minutes before market close. *Note: I'm long on S so I have bought IWM 20 Call spread (credit) out of the money (OTM) with combine of DEC 15 Put spread (credit) for less than $.45 (debit): Dec 15 is current in the money (ITM) / sold Oct 20 is currently (OTM) and currently up more than $2.5K on Call spread (I didn't count PUT spread). If Oct 20 expire worthless then it worth at least $6K then I will sell another CALL for NOV to get at least $1 to $2 credit to turn my CALL spread into credit.
Friday (9/29): combine the spread my cost is $1.005
Bought 20 contacts PUT at $65 (10/06) $1.205 (average) - last trade at $1.17
Sold $65 Put (9/29) for average $.20 - expire worthless I was lucky as almost got assign 2,000 shares at $64.80, but I lock in $400 profit since TNA last second trade filled at $65.02 (extended trade) before the clock turn to 4:01 PM (I bid 100 share at $65.01 then cancel at 4:01) :D
TNA close at 4PM is $64.90 let see if daily made me money again

Winner

Post by Winner »

Sold CALL spread EFA $68/68.5 and bought $68 PUT on EFA for net credit of $.16. Break even at $68.16 last Friday.

Pending order $68/68.5 and bought $69 PUT on EFA for net debit of $.37.

Winner

Post by Winner »

Winner wrote:Sold CALL spread EFA $68/68.5 and bought $68 PUT on EFA for net credit of $.16. Break even at $68.16 last Friday.

Pending order $68/68.5 and bought $69 PUT on EFA for net debit of $.37.

Out on ETA for $1.5K profit for more than 55% gain in one week. Initial 25% on $68 put then additional 75% on $69.

Fund Prices2024-04-18

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.27%
F $18.62 -0.30% -3.14%
C $78.45 -0.21% 5.50%
S $76.12 -0.20% -1.27%
I $40.67 0.02% 1.21%
L2065 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2060 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2055 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2050 $31.35 -0.13% 2.44%
L2045 $14.32 -0.12% 2.35%
L2040 $52.37 -0.11% 2.29%
L2035 $13.85 -0.10% 2.21%
L2030 $46.21 -0.09% 2.15%
L2025 $12.93 -0.05% 1.72%
Linc $25.28 -0.04% 1.51%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".