Wifey's 401k Fund, TSP Equivalent?

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

mmmmmbeer

Wifey's 401k Fund, TSP Equivalent?

Post by mmmmmbeer »

Help ya'll.. just got the funds my wife can invest her 401k into. Is anyone familiar with these funds and what they would equate to in TSP if we wanted to try to follow a mix? I think the Vanguard Admiral 500 would be the C right?

STANDARD STABLE ASSET 2

VOYA INTERMEDIATE BOND I

PIMCO FOREIGN BOND

DFA INFLATION PROTECTED SECS

LORD ABBETT HIGH YIELD I

DFA U.S. LARGE CAP VALUE

VANGUARD 500 INDEX ADMIRAL

AMERICAN FUND FUNDAMENTAL INVS

T.ROWE PRICE GROWTH STOCK

VICTORY SYCAMORE ESTB VAL R6

COLUMBIA MID CAP INDEX R5

MASSMUTUAL SEL MID CAP GR EQ I

WELLS FARGO SP SM CAP VAL R6

COLUMBIA SM CAP INDEX R5

VOYA SM CAP OPPORTUNITIES R6

MFS INTERNATIONAL VALUE R6

OPPENHEIMER INT'L SM/MID CO

DFA EMERGING MARKETS CORE EQ

T.ROWE PRICE GLOBAL TECH

VANGUARD REIT INDEX ADM
Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.

crondanet5

Re: Wifey's 401k Fund, TSP Equivalent?

Post by crondanet5 »

According to a study reported on Fast Money midcaps have outperformed the rest of the market. Try that one. Be sure to review how long you have to stay in the fund before exiting without penalty. You might be able to take advantage of ste3pping out of the fund on a good market day and going back in on a bad market day.

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

mmmmmbeer wrote:Help ya'll.. just got the funds my wife can invest her 401k into. Is anyone familiar with these funds and what they would equate to in TSP if we wanted to try to follow a mix? I think the Vanguard Admiral 500 would be the C right?

That would be my guess. If you combined COLUMBIA's MID CAP INDEX & SM CAP INDEX, that might be a close approximation to the S Fund. I have no idea what all the funds are but I'm sure you can find out with a little research. You may want to figure out what the rules are for moving from fund to fund first to see if it is even possible to try to emulate.

Timber82

Post by Timber82 »

Here is what i did for C type in the spx (sp500 index in a google search then above the graph add all the tickers that seem similar and click add. Now look at which ones most closely follow the ups and downs as the actual index play woth different timeframes remember we arent looking for total return here we want the one that is closest to the performance.

Repease woth DWCPF for S and Agg for f and I os EFA or VEA i believe.

mmmmmbeer

Post by mmmmmbeer »

Alrighty.... the closest I think I've got is:

G: STANDARD STABLE ASSET 2(No Ticker but 2.89% 10y/avg

F: Voya Intermediate Bond I (IICIX)

I: MFS International Value R6 (MINJX)

C: Vanguard 500 Index Admiral (VFIAX)

S: Voya SmallCap Opportunities R6 (ISOZX)

I think some of these are mutual funds, so the tickers don't like them, but I can find them pretty readily on Yahoo Finance. What do you guys think?

Also some of the fee's I haven't been able to find. I know the Standard Asset doesn't charge to go in and out of it, but I need to figure out the fee's for the others. Otherwise I could really negate moving it around 2-3x a month.
Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

If trading fees are high, then a monthly seasonal might be better than a daily since the moves are fewer. You might also have to use a seasonal if there are restrictions on how often the money can be moved. Or if there's a prohibition against returning to a Fund within 30 days of moving out of it, like my wife's account has. We do a monthly seasonal with hers, but the moves sometimes end up being a day behind due to the move restrictions.
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
Support the site by purchasing a membership at TSPCalc! https://tspcalc.com

skiehawk11

Post by skiehawk11 »

For fees, I'd recommend the Vanguard S&P 500 Admiral fund and the Vanguard REIT fund. REITs are generally not correlated with the overall market so it'll provide a decent amount of risk diversification. You wouldn't go wrong with a 80/20 stock/reit split IMO (depends on retirement horizon too).

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

Rather than trying to duplicate what you are doing in TSP, which may not even be possible; you may want to look at funds different from what is available in TSP like what skiehawk11 suggested with REITs. It looks like they have one emerging market fund and several other international funds on the list.

nodak

Post by nodak »

mmmmmbeer wrote:Help ya'll.. just got the funds my wife can invest her 401k into. Is anyone familiar with these funds and what they would equate to in TSP if we wanted to try to follow a mix? I think the Vanguard Admiral 500 would be the C right?

OK, I have to ask; are you a troll? Are we being punked? You actively try to talk other people/coworkers into following your investment advice, finally talked your stepfather into letting you control his retirement account, and now your wife apparently is allowing you to do the same with hers, yet you want me to believe that you can’t figure out which one is large cap and which is small cap? You “think” you know which one would be the C fund. Nope, don’t believe it. What’s the real story?

On another note, couldn’t agree more with evilanne . Why put all your (and others) eggs in one basket? Your wife has access to some good funds that you could use to diversify your portfolio. Wish I had access to some of those in a 401K. Heck, one of those funds is almost 40% YTD, that’s even better than your seasonal stuff.

mmmmmbeer

Post by mmmmmbeer »

nodak wrote:

OK, I have to ask; are you a troll? Are we being punked? You actively try to talk other people/coworkers into following your investment advice, finally talked your stepfather into letting you control his retirement account, and now your wife apparently is allowing you to do the same with hers, yet you want me to believe that you can’t figure out which one is large cap and which is small cap? You “think” you know which one would be the C fund. Nope, don’t believe it. What’s the real story?

On another note, couldn’t agree more with evilanne . Why put all your (and others) eggs in one basket? Your wife has access to some good funds that you could use to diversify your portfolio. Wish I had access to some of those in a 401K. Heck, one of those funds is almost 40% YTD, that’s even better than your seasonal stuff.

Haha good question.. 1st off you really a Nodak? I grew up by Williston.

Secondly, oh I can figure out what to do and have researched these funds. Absolutely some good ones in there. I've got it balanced to be a bit agressive as we really don't need hers so we'll shoot for the moon.

That being said.. it's always good to hear other opinions. Mostly just trying to stimulate some different conversation, unless you want to keep answering "whats a daily strategy?" questions all day every day. Sorta need some diversification in our threads brother.. haha.

mindofmush

Post by mindofmush »

Warren Buffet once said:
"Put all your eggs in one basket and watch it very carefully."
mo meng, mo ching (which loosely means: no money, no life)

nrialto

Post by nrialto »

C: VOO
S: VXF
I: VEA
F: BND
G: (none)

nodak

Post by nodak »

I spent some time near the Minnesota border.

Good to hear that you’re not risking everything on seasonal. But are you advising others to diversify (or “balanced” as you put it) or are you telling them to risk 100% of their portfolio on the “daily”?

mindofmush wrote:Warren Buffet once said:
"Put all your eggs in one basket and watch it very carefully."

How ironic that some guy named Buffet is talking about eggs, but what does that have to do with investing?
:D

nodak

Post by nodak »

Oh, and I agree about midcaps; always been the sweet spot in my opinion. My midcap is up around 21% YTD.

mmmmmbeer

Post by mmmmmbeer »

nodak wrote:But are you advising others to diversify (or “balanced” as you put it) or are you telling them to risk 100% of their portfolio on the “daily”?

Hrrmmm.. I don't seem to recall ever repping myself as anything but a fellow tsp chaser. People can invest in whatever the hell they want. I normally tell everyone, do what makes you comfortable. L funds are nice, but don't just park your money in the G fund for decades.

Sounds like you've got beef with seasonal investing in general. I'm not your poster child.

Fund Prices2024-04-16

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.24%
F $18.58 -0.32% -3.33%
C $79.08 -0.21% 6.34%
S $76.95 -0.41% -0.18%
I $40.73 -0.98% 1.37%
L2065 $15.67 -0.50% 3.66%
L2060 $15.67 -0.50% 3.67%
L2055 $15.68 -0.50% 3.67%
L2050 $31.50 -0.44% 2.93%
L2045 $14.38 -0.41% 2.81%
L2040 $52.59 -0.38% 2.72%
L2035 $13.91 -0.35% 2.60%
L2030 $46.37 -0.32% 2.50%
L2025 $12.95 -0.18% 1.90%
Linc $25.31 -0.14% 1.64%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".