mhayes

Re: "Best" Daily Strategy

Post by mhayes »

Nice going, mjedline66!

18.93% for me.

rockfish

Post by rockfish »

Very nice indeed. I at 14.87% but still very happy.

Tabernacle

Post by Tabernacle »

onerepmax wrote:It takes contributions and withdrawals into account somehow, by definition of the "Modified Deitz Method" or whatever it's called. But it certainly doesn't simply add them in.

My PIPs has been averaging 17% for the last year. My account today is over 35% more than a year ago today.

It's some sort of fancy estimate, that's all.
So, I retired in July of this year and PIP is 15.15. Does this mean if I could contribute it would be higher? Much better than in previous years. Looking forward to working the daily for a full year.

onerepmax

Post by onerepmax »

Tabernacle wrote:
onerepmax wrote:It takes contributions and withdrawals into account somehow, by definition of the "Modified Deitz Method" or whatever it's called. But it certainly doesn't simply add them in.

My PIPs has been averaging 17% for the last year. My account today is over 35% more than a year ago today.

So, I retired in July of this year and PIP is 15.15. Does this mean if I could contribute it would be higher? Much better than in previous years. Looking forward to working the daily for a full year.
I really don't know. This link below is the only info I know about PIP. I have googled "modified Deitz method" but that was clear as mud.

https://www.tsp.gov/sitehelp/glossary/g ... l?term=PIP

PIP is a glorified estimate. I think the PIP is more useful/accurate when cashflow in/out is consistent than it is during times of change. Just my opinion.

rockfish

Post by rockfish »

In any case, those are pretty numbers you got there! :)

rockfish

Post by rockfish »

Tabernacle wrote:

Congrats on your retirement. :mrgreen:

Capitalism

Post by Capitalism »

Mine is 13.81%. That's like 6% better than last year.

Tabernacle

Post by Tabernacle »

onerepmax wrote:
Tabernacle wrote:

I really don't know. This link below is the only info I know about PIP. I have googled "modified Deitz method" but that was clear as mud.

https://www.tsp.gov/sitehelp/glossary/g ... l?term=PIP

PIP is a glorified estimate. I think the PIP is more useful/accurate when cashflow in/out is consistent than it is during times of change. Just my opinion.
OK, Thanks

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

Welcome to Retirement Tabernacle! The PIP calculation factors in time of each contribution so whether or not it impacts your rate of return depends on the timing, the fund(s) and their market performance over time--returns could be slightly more or less.

polom319

Post by polom319 »

mjedlin66 wrote:My pip is 30.44%. Crazy.
What strategy are you following?

Tabernacle

Post by Tabernacle »

evilanne wrote:Welcome to Retirement Tabernacle! The PIP calculation factors in time of each contribution so whether or not it impacts your rate of return depends on the timing, the fund(s) and their market performance over time--returns could be slightly more or less.
Yes, but once you retire your contributions cease and you aren't allowed to contribute anymore, right?

mindofmush

Post by mindofmush »

Tabernacle wrote:
evilanne wrote:Welcome to Retirement Tabernacle! The PIP calculation factors in time of each contribution so whether or not it impacts your rate of return depends on the timing, the fund(s) and their market performance over time--returns could be slightly more or less.
Yes, but once you retire your contributions cease and you aren't allowed to contribute anymore, right?
You are correct that you must have "earned income" to contribute to a 401K, TSP,or IRA but you can transfer funds from another 401K or IRA into the TSP.

You can also move almost all of your TSP to an IRA and later move it back if you want. (You need to maintain $200 in your TSP to keep the account open.)

And of course, you are allowed to continue investing your existing TSP account as aggressively or conservatively as you want.
mo meng, mo ching (which loosely means: no money, no life)

LilJess

Post by LilJess »

maui21ice wrote:I bumped up to a PIP of 17.68%, and looking for even higher with a steady daily strategy for 2018.
Do you have 2018 strategy picked out yet? Just curious as to which one others are going to follow.

nrialto

Post by nrialto »

Although it seems most of the strategies (with a few exceptions) are the same in December, I've been poring over the data trying to decide which one to choose for 2018. I'm also thinking of mostly staying away from strategy's that utilize F.

Has anyone found a low deviation, high-return strategy they like?

Jones44

Post by Jones44 »

nrialto wrote:Although it seems most of the strategies (with a few exceptions) are the same in December, I've been poring over the data trying to decide which one to choose for 2018. I'm also thinking of mostly staying away from strategy's that utilize F.

Has anyone found a low deviation, high-return strategy they like?
Agreed. I'm cutting out all trades to F. Interested in seeing what y'all have.

Fund Prices2024-04-17

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.25%
F $18.68 0.50% -2.85%
C $78.62 -0.58% 5.72%
S $76.27 -0.89% -1.07%
I $40.66 -0.17% 1.19%
L2065 $15.60 -0.47% 3.17%
L2060 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2055 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2050 $31.39 -0.35% 2.57%
L2045 $14.34 -0.33% 2.47%
L2040 $52.43 -0.31% 2.41%
L2035 $13.87 -0.28% 2.31%
L2030 $46.25 -0.25% 2.24%
L2025 $12.93 -0.12% 1.78%
Linc $25.29 -0.09% 1.55%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".