Could it be doom and gloom for the F fund?

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

Chulke

Could it be doom and gloom for the F fund?

Post by Chulke »

Interesting read in this article:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/ ... ocid=ientp

This could be a huge killer for the future of the F fund as a whole...we won't know for sure till it happens though!

All the more reason to stay away from the F Fund in the near term.....I think?!?!

Happy investing!
Cheers!

Current Strat: Loosely following 152300 and 85660 more the former rather than the later
Current PIP: 24.04

n.shift

Re: Could it be doom and gloom for the F fund?

Post by n.shift »

Chulke wrote:Interesting read in this article:

This could be a huge killer for the future of the F fund as a whole...we won't know for sure till it happens though!

All the more reason to stay away from the F Fund in the near term.....I think?!?!

Happy investing!
Not bashing the f fund or anyone’s personal strategies but the f fund has had a annual average of around 2.5% over the last 5 years. If it seems like a to big a risk now days to get into the f fund why don’t people just substitute the f fund for a guaranteed increase in the g fund?

fordest

Post by fordest »

n.shift wrote:

Happy investing!
Not bashing the f fund or anyone’s personal strategies but the f fund has had a annual average of around 2.5% over the last 5 years. If it seems like a to big a risk now days to get into the f fund why don’t people just substitute the f fund for a guaranteed increase in the g fund?
I'm not really defending the F-fund... I'm scared of it right now, too... But it's not the average of the F-fund that matters. It rises and falls and rises and falls and rises and falls... and ends up with an the average it has. However, if everything works like I plan, I will be in during more of those rises and less of those falls. So I should be able to get more than 2.5% from all my F-fund stays.... theoretically....
100% in the daily system since August 2, 2017.
Following strategy (current pick) #88676. 2020 real life has been following #110838

rcozby

Post by rcozby »

Thanks, Chulke!

I found the article to be definitely worth a read. Seems to possibly explain why this month has been different from expectations thus far. The tax bill appears to be more of a game changer than is widely reported.

n.shift

Post by n.shift »

fordest wrote:
n.shift wrote:

Happy investing!
I'm not really defending the F-fund... I'm scared of it right now, too... But it's not the average of the F-fund that matters. It rises and falls and rises and falls and rises and falls... and ends up with an the average it has. However, if everything works like I plan, I will be in during more of those rises and less of those falls. So I should be able to get more than 2.5% from all my F-fund stays.... theoretically....
Very good point

n.shift

Post by n.shift »

rcozby wrote:Thanks, Chulke!

I found the article to be definitely worth a read. Seems to possibly explain why this month has been different from expectations thus far. The tax bill appears to be more of a game changer than is widely reported.
I’ve learned long ago that the media is only going to report negative info when it comes to trump. This tax reform is huge. Wait, it’s bigger then huge! It’s possibly the biggest tax reform ever. Def the biggest in the past 30 years. Corporate America is gonna have so much money they ain’t gonna no what to do with it all. But at the end of the day, these tax cuts will only increase the stock market slightly. If the middle class isn’t making/spending more money, things will go south quick. I’m a civilian federal employee, in 8 years I’ve had less then $1 raise and I’m already seeing gas prices creep back up to $3 a gallon. Soon I will be faced with higher food cost, paying higher gas prices or paying my mortgage. It’s the same crap from 10 years ago. Flat wages and rich get richer

Chulke

Post by Chulke »

I agree with the take on the news media...they are for sure going to bash anything Trump at every turn...but this article has a ring of truth in it that I can not ignore when it concerns the F fund.
Cheers!

Current Strat: Loosely following 152300 and 85660 more the former rather than the later
Current PIP: 24.04

marine234

Post by marine234 »

I fully expect to see the market continue going up, but I don't see it being a very good year for the F fund. With the new tax plan, I foresee huge expansions in large and small business. And I do believe you will see people spending and making more. Just takes a little faith.

n.shift

Post by n.shift »

Chulke wrote:I agree with the take on the news media...they are for sure going to bash anything Trump at every turn...but this article has a ring of truth in it that I can not ignore when it concerns the F fund.
I just read the article. I couldn’t agree with you more

kdfwr310

Post by kdfwr310 »

I've noticed that many of us that are operating on a seasonal strategy where we're in, then out, of a particular fund, get caught up in a fund's yearly percentage. You're not comparing apples to apples.

Truly we are buying at times the fund will be profitable (hypothetically), while avoiding the downturn. You cannot look at the totality of the yearly return for a fund, when we're not in it the whole time anyway.

SnareMV17

Post by SnareMV17 »

kdfwr310 wrote:I've noticed that many of us that are operating on a seasonal strategy where we're in, then out, of a particular fund, get caught up in a fund's yearly percentage. You're not comparing apples to apples.

Truly we are buying at times the fund will be profitable (hypothetically), while avoiding the downturn. You cannot look at the totality of the yearly return for a fund, when we're not in it the whole time anyway.
You mean profitable like it should be right now? We are treading water, barely!
"Get your money for nothin', and your chicks for free."

Following TSPCalc strategy #64902.

mindofmush

Post by mindofmush »

These TSPcalc dailies may have been created by craft beer but they seem to run on an awful lot of whine.
mo meng, mo ching (which loosely means: no money, no life)

12squared

Post by 12squared »

SnareMV17 wrote:
kdfwr310 wrote:I've noticed that many of us that are operating on a seasonal strategy where we're in, then out, of a particular fund, get caught up in a fund's yearly percentage. You're not comparing apples to apples.

Although each calendar year begins with its most mercurial month, those following low variability strategies should not expect a rocket launch. Daily strategies having the highest Sigma for January (e.g. 0.99 for 22546) are in F until the last day of January, but have means of only 1.31.
“The genius of investing is recognizing the direction of the trend – not catching the highs or the lows.”
- Dean Witter

"Put all your eggs in one basket and then watch that basket."
- Andrew Carnegie

SnareMV17

Post by SnareMV17 »

12squared wrote:Although each calendar year begins with its most mercurial month, those following low variability strategies should not expect a rocket launch. Daily strategies having the highest Sigma for January (e.g. 0.99 for 22546) are in F until the last day of January, but have means of only 1.31.
Now that’s what I’m talkin. About! Great analysis. This will keep me sane for the next three days.
"Get your money for nothin', and your chicks for free."

Following TSPCalc strategy #64902.

fordest

Post by fordest »

12squared wrote:
SnareMV17 wrote:

Although each calendar year begins with its most mercurial month, those following low variability strategies should not expect a rocket launch. Daily strategies having the highest Sigma for January (e.g. 0.99 for 22546) are in F until the last day of January, but have means of only 1.31.
Exactly.

If you've got a bad case of FOMO and have the risk tolerance then go for it... chase these high returns. But if you are seeking the stability that led you to whatever strategy you are following, just relax. It's only the middle of January.
100% in the daily system since August 2, 2017.
Following strategy (current pick) #88676. 2020 real life has been following #110838

Fund Prices2024-04-17

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.25%
F $18.68 0.50% -2.85%
C $78.62 -0.58% 5.72%
S $76.27 -0.89% -1.07%
I $40.66 -0.17% 1.19%
L2065 $15.60 -0.47% 3.17%
L2060 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2055 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2050 $31.39 -0.35% 2.57%
L2045 $14.34 -0.33% 2.47%
L2040 $52.43 -0.31% 2.41%
L2035 $13.87 -0.28% 2.31%
L2030 $46.25 -0.25% 2.24%
L2025 $12.93 -0.12% 1.78%
Linc $25.29 -0.09% 1.55%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".