UUUGGGHHH!!!

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

nate232

Re: UUUGGGHHH!!!

Post by nate232 »

True, it goes both ways. I think using facts/data versus fear of loss are better ways to make decisions though.

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

nodak / MakeMe$$$$,

Longtime readers here know that I can get very opinionated here regarding politics. I do my best to keep it civil and to let the thread drop when the conversation has obviously reached a conclusion point.

That said, I just want to say thank you for settling that peaceably. That could have gone sideways very easily and quickly. Others could learn a thing or two from that exchange.
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters" Epictetus

jlozano042

Post by jlozano042 »

Aitrus wrote:nodak / MakeMe$$$$,

Longtime readers here know that I can get very opinionated here regarding politics. I do my best to keep it civil and to let the thread drop when the conversation has obviously reached a conclusion point.

That said, I just want to say thank you for settling that peaceably. That could have gone sideways very easily and quickly. Others could learn a thing or two from that exchange.
Here here, I'll drink to that.

ArrieS

Post by ArrieS »

Those that got out, what are you looking at now about getting back in?
OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

jlozano042

Post by jlozano042 »

I waited for specific celestial bodies to align themselves right for me. There are good politics right now, my MIL made me breakfast this morning, the Gods whispered in my ears to move to "S" - and the biggest sign of all was "mmmmmbeer" making a move.

wdd09

Post by wdd09 »

Chulke wrote:Y'all I am getting so sick of losing money here!!! I know its a long game here but this year it's like this market just wants to bleed me dry....I make a move and automatically the fund I move to takes a dive...I move to another fund and then that one takes a dive....

I'm not liking this crap at all!!!

:-(
Hate to kick you when you're down but you made your move to G at the bottom of a dip and since that move the markets are up 2 to 3% (possibly even 4% when considering today's potential gains). You could've been near even for the year but now you're still stuck at -4% because you let your emotion get the best of you.

Best advice I can give you is stay with your strategy, whatever it is, and don't waiver from it. Studies show folks who have a strategy, and stick to it, perform better on average than folks who don't (regardless of strategies). Moving away from your strategy (which I'm assuming you did based on your first post) cost you 4% in gains. My advice to you now is to get back on your strategy pronto, and ignore the day to day variations. Heck, move to a monthly seasonal strategy (see Aitrus Seasonal Musing 2018 thread for plenty of great information) so you stop concerning yourself with the day to day variations that many folks can't stomach.

Wish you the best.
I follow a monthly seasonal strategy from gclapper (slightly modified). Its moves can be found by searching for strategy number #25727 on http://www.tspcalc.com

XAMOTOMAX

Post by XAMOTOMAX »

ArrieS wrote:Those that got out, what are you looking at now about getting back in?
It was a potentially sketchy week. The market didn't react as poorly to Cohn's resignation as anticipated and the wage growth number came in opposite of where investors feared it would. I'm getting back in today. I paid for my insurance with today's gains and will place my bet on some positive momentum sticking around for the next few weeks as I think the upcoming rate hike is already expected and priced into the market. I kinda like I fund as it has some room to run to catch up and I did a 40/30/30 CSI distro vs. a 50/50 CS which I had also considered.

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

Doing the happy dance!

2nd day since 2/5 that I'm positive...however slight it may be :lol:

MakeMe$$$$

Post by MakeMe$$$$ »

XAMOTOMAX wrote:
ArrieS wrote:Those that got out, what are you looking at now about getting back in?
It was a potentially sketchy week. The market didn't react as poorly to Cohn's resignation as anticipated and the wage growth number came in opposite of where investors feared it would. I'm getting back in today. ...
I think the reaction to Cohn's departure was captured in part by the tariff issues. I also think some of the initial reactions a week ago when Trump blurted out the tariffs was a luck of timing. It happened mid day on the previous Thursday and the markets went wild. By Friday morning there was some indications that resistance to the shot gun approach was mounting and that helped calm things. The weekend saw more pressure for a more targeted approach and signs of moderation on who, what and when began to appear. I think all of these tariff activities watered down the Cohn news.

Certainly Friday's jobs report coupled with a rather muted wages situations was as good as it gets with regards to inflation worries and its twin factor of fed rate hikes. Fundamentals still appear solid. UUUGGGHHH!!! LOL

Yet...

The tariff issues are not going away. Friday's actions to enact tariffs were not a surprise so for now and met with a rather ho-humm reaction. Even if there are folks supporting tariffs it has to be acknowledged that if done without a clear mind and well thought out strategic goals they can be a disaster.
Last edited by MakeMe$$$$ on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don
Rolled over to Fidelity 2/24/18.
Fantasy still playing with Daily Strategy 12767.

bamafamily

Post by bamafamily »

I am in a quandary as well.... My IFT to S is coming up on Tuesday and the market is up 4.8% since 2/28 (when I went to G)...(sigh) Do I wait for (at least) a small dip, or jump in and hope we keep chugging...
I know, I know....hindsight is 20/20....just seems the last 3 IFT's have been ass-backwards......

bama
Bama

Fund Prices2024-03-28

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.15 0.05% 1.05%
F $19.08 -0.06% -0.74%
C $82.21 0.11% 10.55%
S $82.43 0.30% 6.92%
I $42.57 -0.24% 5.95%
L2065 $16.38 0.02% 8.37%
L2060 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2055 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2050 $32.73 0.01% 6.95%
L2045 $14.91 0.02% 6.58%
L2040 $54.38 0.02% 6.22%
L2035 $14.34 0.02% 5.79%
L2030 $47.67 0.02% 5.38%
L2025 $13.15 0.03% 3.43%
Linc $25.61 0.03% 2.82%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".