TSP Center Data Call for week of November 18, 2018:            

TSP Center - The Thrift Savings Plan Community

"FantasyTSP™ and Discussion Forum for the Thrift Savings Plan Investor"

Recommend TSP Center Register  •  Search  •  FantasyTSP Trophies   

Board index » Thrift Savings Plan » General TSP Discussion

Join now for full access to TSP Center

This topic has 42 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view topic replies.

or 

Post subject: Best Year Yet.
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:49 am 

Flag: United States (us)
Risk Tolerence: Medium

Reputation point: 10
I am not posting to brag, but posting to share, remember past practice is not always the future and the 'go away in May' thing coming up sometimes may spook ya. I have had a 4 month start to one of my best years yet, right there with your best Fantasy players or better. Retired and running a small business with little time to chase charts and whims. I use to watch all the charts and ups and downs but what I came to realize is a 24% annual return is what I shoot for and most would be overall happy with. I do this by getting my 2%/month and get out. I started doing this last year, and as I rode in to January I posted about a Santa Claus rally and the number of up days in a row were just too great. I got out with a good 3 %, and sure I saw a little rise in January but in the end sitting in the G fund, not having a trade left, being on the sideline saved me. I will show you my trades.
Jan - got out with my 3%
Feb - 2/5 bought C - 2/15 sold C 3.3%
Mar - 3/1 bought C - 3/9 sold C 4%
Apr - 4/2 bought C - 4/16 sold C 3.75%

A couple times I was late getting back to sell when I had my 2% which , yes that did benefit me, but even if I was diligent I would have 8% not counting what sitting in the G brings in.
My advice is do not confuse yourself by trying to watch all the funds with all the MarketWatch stories. If you want to be aggressive then I suggest to follow one area whether it be S&P(in my case), Small caps, International.....and read those stories only instead of chasing everything all over the place, trying to chase a hunch and reading all the doom and gloom stories, remember the mind feeds on negativity for reasons of survival. I watch the S&P stories/trends, I watch the MarketWatch S&P Futures on the weekend and over the morning coffee and then by noon, to decide to sell. As I sit on the sideline in the G then for the rest of the month maybe watching some gains or losses I realize there is nothing I can do but plan for the next month and wait for the big drop to jump back in. I also will print out the TSP Fund performance chart and look at he C fund for the last 30 days or more, highlighting the up days. I look for how many up day runs in a row there were. This helps me plan for my next jump in at a big drop day, knowing that a 3 day up with more than a 2% gain is time to get out. And if I see that C fund rise I just smile when I do the math for I know my overall annual % rate and know where I am at. Remember, most retired people are happy with a guaranteed 5% annual and even moreso with a 10% for the computation of their monthly life expectancy payment.

Again, I am not bragging, and realize my months may have been lucky, but wanted to throw out what makes my life less stressful about our sideways market and maybe someone can take something away from it. Happy Trading!!

Board index » Thrift Savings Plan » General TSP Discussion