About those Robo-advisers

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

TSPsmart

About those Robo-advisers

Post by TSPsmart »

Hello

I posted Robo-Advisers Leading Their Herds to the Slaughter just like the TSP Lifecycle funds on my blog in case anyone is thinking of moving their TSP funds to one of these "low cost" advisers when they retire.

Cheers,

ProduceMan

Re: About those Robo-advisers

Post by ProduceMan »

Why you hating on the L Funds
Moneys’ Money Making Money (4M)

cswift01

Post by cswift01 »

TSPsmart wrote:Hello

I posted Robo-Advisers Leading Their Herds to the Slaughter just like the TSP Lifecycle funds on my blog in case anyone is thinking of moving their TSP funds to one of these "low cost" advisers when they retire.

Cheers,
Your argument is the same debate people have about ETFs. Surprisingly, people in the late 80s blamed the flash crash on the same principle. While I agree that there are risks with ETFs, I'm not convinced that people use ETFs as stocks and more like mutual funds.

ArrieS

Post by ArrieS »

ProduceMan wrote:Why you hating on the L Funds
Because the L funds deserve our hate. It deserves our greatest seething hate we can muster from the blackest depths of our minds.

The L funds are complete garbage. The principal issue with them is the "...L Funds are rebalanced to their target allocations each business day."

https://www.tsp.gov/PDF/formspubs/FundsL.pdf

The thing about diversification of funds is the ability to rebalance after a certain amount of time. For example, the classic 60/40 split for stocks and bonds has proven to be effective and the best time for rebalancing funds is quarterly. Studies have shown that there is very little difference in performance between rebalancing monthly, quarterly, and semi-annually. The worst performance is daily.

With the L funds rebalancing daily, you are throwing money daily at the falling market when it's going down. Conversely if you merely did it monthly, quarterly, or semi-annually you are letting it drop further to buy more.

Worse, is when it's going up, you are continually taking money off the table, so you are not allowing as much cash for compounding.

Rebalancing daily has been proven to be the literally the worst thing you can do.

Even the Robo-advisors like WiseBanyan "rebalance your portfolio if any portion strays by more than 5% from the target allocation."

The only reason to rebalance daily is to be able to charge more fees.
OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

ProduceMan

Post by ProduceMan »

Yeah I read the PDF under the forms and publications/Lfunds PDF page. That’s crazy, rebalanced daily. Wow! My understanding is that all L funds are rebalanced daily then all but the Inc funds investment mixes adjusted quarterly

ProduceMan

Post by ProduceMan »

ArrieS, I’ve gotten pretty good returns from the L Funds particularly the 50. Maybe due to the Bull season. IMHO the shares from the L Funds are just the shares value as a whole. With that being said, I’m not purchasing the individual funds it represents. IMHO

rcozby

Post by rcozby »

Of course, it's pretty easy to capture the good of the L funds while ignoring the bad. Just pick the L fund that you like, allocate your funds and your contributions IAW the pie chart for that fund, and then adjust at the next quarter to match that fund's new allocation. Then go away and don't touch it in between quarters! :mrgreen:

robika

Post by robika »

ArrieS wrote:
ProduceMan wrote:Why you hating on the L Funds
Because the L funds deserve our hate. It deserves our greatest seething hate we can muster from the blackest depths of our minds.

The L funds are complete garbage. The principal issue with them is the "...L Funds are rebalanced to their target allocations each business day."

https://www.tsp.gov/PDF/formspubs/FundsL.pdf

The thing about diversification of funds is the ability to rebalance after a certain amount of time. For example, the classic 60/40 split for stocks and bonds has proven to be effective and the best time for rebalancing funds is quarterly. Studies have shown that there is very little difference in performance between rebalancing monthly, quarterly, and semi-annually. The worst performance is daily.

With the L funds rebalancing daily, you are throwing money daily at the falling market when it's going down. Conversely if you merely did it monthly, quarterly, or semi-annually you are letting it drop further to buy more.

Worse, is when it's going up, you are continually taking money off the table, so you are not allowing as much cash for compounding.

Rebalancing daily has been proven to be the literally the worst thing you can do.

Even the Robo-advisors like WiseBanyan "rebalance your portfolio if any portion strays by more than 5% from the target allocation."

The only reason to rebalance daily is to be able to charge more fees.
Are there any charts/numbers that show the difference between daily/quarterly/yearly?
2019: Ignore everything that Mr. Imperfect says. Just roll the dice, will probably do better.
2020: Did Mr. Imperfect hack my fantasy account?
2021: My fantasy account got COVID.

Fund Prices2024-04-18

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.27%
F $18.62 -0.30% -3.14%
C $78.45 -0.21% 5.50%
S $76.12 -0.20% -1.27%
I $40.67 0.02% 1.21%
L2065 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2060 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2055 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2050 $31.35 -0.13% 2.44%
L2045 $14.32 -0.12% 2.35%
L2040 $52.37 -0.11% 2.29%
L2035 $13.85 -0.10% 2.21%
L2030 $46.21 -0.09% 2.15%
L2025 $12.93 -0.05% 1.72%
Linc $25.28 -0.04% 1.51%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".