Sig

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

Tomanyiron

Sig

Post by Tomanyiron »

Some of the older members may recall Sig. http://tspcenter.com/summary.php?u=749
He racked up a lot of trophies. And is still no. 3 on the Watch Count leader board, with 902 followers. He sorta took himself out of the game. He never posted much in the way of his strategy. But one time he did reveal something like this. "Find someone who always makes the wrong moves, and do the opposite."

Has he intentionally become one of them? With 10 IFTs he is at-6.70% YTD

Do you think he is trying to tell us something?

Today he transferred from S to C. Is he expecting the C fund to plunge lower than the S now?
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

ArrieS

Re: Sig

Post by ArrieS »

Tomanyiron wrote: Today he transferred from S to C. Is he expecting the C fund to plunge lower than the S now?
Is that facetious?
OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

ArrieS wrote: Is that facetious?
Treating a serious issue with inappropriate humor? No. Just presenting an intriguing question. What's up Arrie, you looking for another fight?

ArrieS

Post by ArrieS »

Tomanyiron wrote:
ArrieS wrote: Is that facetious?
Treating a serious issue with inappropriate humor? No. Just presenting an intriguing question. What's up Arrie, you looking for another fight?
Why wouldn't it be their thought that it would recover faster and/or more?
OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

fordest

Post by fordest »

If I remember correctly, he also expressed that it was a lot of stress having that many followers and having that many people's money riding on his online decisions (Just like happens with TSP Guru, the masses moved right after he did). Doesn't answer the above questions, but may be related. I would also say that a large majority of his followers are probably no longer active on the site since there was no mass move immediately following his.
100% in the daily system since August 2, 2017.
Following strategy (current pick) #88676. 2020 real life has been following #110838

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

ArrieS wrote:Why wouldn't it be their thought that it would recover faster and/or more?
Yes that might be it, but in Sig's case I don't think so. He has got no money in TSP, he said that a few years back. He maybe doesn't care one way or another. But he is smart, and making that many IFTs gives me thoughts he's playing with us.
:lol: Stop laughing Sig and fess-up. :wink:

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

fordest wrote:If I remember correctly, he also expressed that it was a lot of stress having that many followers and having that many people's money riding on his online decisions ...
:!: Yea, and is this a cryptic way to still play this game, without the followers jumping each time? :?

misfit

Post by misfit »

Guru showed us that strategy doesn't always pan out as expected. I'm new so don't know sig. Guru is my sig in this instance. Followed him til my wheels fell off. Alot on here lost their wheels too moving along with him. (Or her? Dont want to offend the weak minded). Its a complete gamble and nothing more. Strategies only work until they don't. You gotta know when to hold em and know when to make the move. Now who do you follow?

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

misfit wrote:Guru showed us that strategy doesn't always pan out as expected. I'm new so don't know sig. Guru is my sig in this instance. Followed him til my wheels fell off. Alot on here lost their wheels too moving along with him. (Or her? Dont want to offend the weak minded). Its a complete gamble and nothing more. Strategies only work until they don't. You gotta know when to hold em and know when to make the move. Now who do you follow?
Hey, The Guru is doing fine. He is still in the top 10, and has got plenty of time to get back to #1. A strategy that gives you +10.33% when YTD S Fund is only +1.24% and C is +4.64% would make any investment manager elated.

misfit

Post by misfit »

No doubt! I only wish. Always watching guru closely.

userque

Post by userque »

misfit wrote:...Followed him til my wheels fell off. Alot on here lost their wheels too moving along with him....
Maybe I'm missing something.

How did you, and 'a lot,' manage to get y'ur wheels to fall off by following Guru ... when ... Guru is in the top 10?
"In the land of idiots, the moron is King."

crondanet5

Post by crondanet5 »

sig was brilliant. What you are missing is that he retired and rolled his real money out of the TSP. And if you read his thread he said a year or so ago not to follow him because he was using the Fantasy Game allocations to test investment theories.

I do agree with the comment about the stress imposed by followers. It can make it difficult to decide whether to make an IFT or stay where you are. To me the severity of this October correction was a surprise. But as I listen to Carter Worth on CNBC Fast Money it is right in line with long term market charts and according to him we remain in a bull market. That may be but it does not help deciding what to do. I believe the appropriate phrase to apply here is: "You are on your own." Good luck to all.

jlozano042

Post by jlozano042 »

userque wrote:
misfit wrote:...Followed him til my wheels fell off. Alot on here lost their wheels too moving along with him....

How did you, and 'a lot,' manage to get y'ur wheels to fall off by following Guru ... when ... Guru is in the top 10?
I think it was just MOST folks followed him/her when he/she reached the top of the mountain some time ago. These folks of course weren't following him/her from the beginning ... more they followed him/her near the end of the .... fall? (no disrespect intended). TSPGuru's -+10% drop was a huge hit on some folks.

Anyways .... I think misfit was speaking figuratively. ;)

misfit

Post by misfit »

Pretty much Lozano. He is still doing extremely well considering the all of a sudden drops in the market. I'm glad to be still in the positive. Follow your gut. Chances are they will be right some of the time. CNBC is wrong a lot of the times also. Gotta get to work...

userque

Post by userque »

LOL...yeah...I knew the 'wheels falling off' thing was figurative.

But thanks, you did clear it up for me.
jlozano042 wrote:
userque wrote:

I think it was just MOST folks followed him/her when he/she reached the top of the mountain some time ago. These folks of course weren't following him/her from the beginning ... more they followed him/her near the end of the .... fall? (no disrespect intended). TSPGuru's -+10% drop was a huge hit on some folks.

Anyways .... I think misfit was speaking figuratively. ;)
"In the land of idiots, the moron is King."

Fund Prices2024-03-28

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.15 0.05% 1.05%
F $19.08 -0.06% -0.74%
C $82.21 0.11% 10.55%
S $82.43 0.30% 6.92%
I $42.57 -0.24% 5.95%
L2065 $16.38 0.02% 8.37%
L2060 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2055 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2050 $32.73 0.01% 6.95%
L2045 $14.91 0.02% 6.58%
L2040 $54.38 0.02% 6.22%
L2035 $14.34 0.02% 5.79%
L2030 $47.67 0.02% 5.38%
L2025 $13.15 0.03% 3.43%
Linc $25.61 0.03% 2.82%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".