S Fund - Death Cross Predicted

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

sonofnthng

Re: S Fund - Death Cross Predicted

Post by sonofnthng »

I am in the S fund as of today. Gonna lose a bit, but at least I avoided yesterday's losses! Here's a little hope from an article I just read.

The last time there was a death cross on the Dow Jones Industrials, it was the summer of 2011, in the middle of a very nasty correction. However, when the death cross actually happened, the stock market was closer to a bottom than a top. In fact, research done by Jason Goepfert suggests that over 70% of the time, buying when this happens is the trade, not selling. One caveat. The times it didn’t work to buy, the losses were large.
Tracking #85660 -//- PIP 35.29% Jan '21
Seasonal Strategies:
http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 205#p53743
Yes, death is coming...but then again, it's always coming.
-Aitrus

Octjan2

Post by Octjan2 »

sonofnthng wrote:I am in the S fund as of today. Gonna lose a bit, but at least I avoided yesterday's losses! Here's a little hope from an article I just read.

The last time there was a death cross on the Dow Jones Industrials, it was the summer of 2011, in the middle of a very nasty correction. However, when the death cross actually happened, the stock market was closer to a bottom than a top. In fact, research done by Jason Goepfert suggests that over 70% of the time, buying when this happens is the trade, not selling. One caveat. The times it didn’t work to buy, the losses were large.
I think you set yourself up nicely. Ride it through the year and you should be fine. We are starting to see a capitulation which is a good thing. We are testing the lows of October and the weak hands are selling (all doom and gloom on the networks), however, when you truly think about it nothing has changed since the S fund was at 1500, other than oil prices. Anybody that thinks Trump is going to let the market sink because of tariffs is mistaken.

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

sonofnthng wrote:I am in the S fund as of today. Gonna lose a bit, but at least I avoided yesterday's losses! Here's a little hope from an article I just read.

The gist of what you just said, and all the other info out there is, don't use the death cross for a buy or sell signal.
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

Billionair

Post by Billionair »

Octjan2 wrote:
sonofnthng wrote: Anybody that thinks Trump is going to let the market sink because of tariffs is mistaken.
Poor Billionair (re-thinking a name change), has gotten shafted since October. The tariffs hit me a little bit in June, and I was doing well all year till now. Hopefully the G-20 stuff works out at the end of the month, but I do believe he wont budge until he gets a better deal for us. China is equally hurting from this.
Last edited by Billionair on Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-What we do in Life, echoes in Retirement-

sonofnthng

Post by sonofnthng »

Tomanyiron wrote: The gist of what you just said, and all the other info out there is, don't use the death cross for a buy or sell signal.
Well, I'm not. =) I'm following a daily strategy and sticking to it. Its nice to see that when the market isn't at a more than 20% correction, the death cross typically implies a bounce. This is as solid of a lead as any other historical statistics we use to build all of the strategies on this site. Who knows!
Seasonal Strategies:
-Aitrus

wingchaser

Post by wingchaser »

Billionair wrote:
Octjan2 wrote:
sonofnthng wrote: Anybody that thinks Trump is going to let the market sink because of tariffs is mistaken.
Poor Billionair (re-thinking a name change), has gotten shafted since October. The tariffs hit me a little bit in June, and I was doing well all year till now. Hopefully the G-20 stuff works out at the end of the month, but I do believe he wont budge until he gets a better deal for us. China is equally hurting from this.
What actually hasn't been taken into account (or maybe it has... hint, hint), is that if we really upset China & they stop buyin' our Treasuries every Friday (without fail now for the last few year's)...

We are going to tank like nobody's business!!!

Best Wishes (everyone) in all you chose to endeavor!!!
“Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it. He who doesn’t... pays it.” ~ Albert Einstein

Billionair

Post by Billionair »

Hey now, we don't need that voodoo magic here. They need us more than we need them, for now. But in all seriousness you are right.
-What we do in Life, echoes in Retirement-

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

sonofnthng wrote: ...Its nice to see that when the market isn't at a more than 20% correction, the death cross typically implies a bounce. This is as solid of a lead as any other historical statistics we use to build all of the strategies on this site. Who knows!
Wing-Yogi-ism: I wish you (and everyone) the best in all your endeavors!!!
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

sonofnthng

Post by sonofnthng »

Tomany, as to you! Happy Thanksgiving and all.. So, as it turns out, I guess I didn't confirm my S fund move on my real tsp. I didn't take that hit yesterday, but I missed the gains today, which is basically a wash. 100 S fund as per strategy. What do I know about the economy? Zero. Somehow, thanks to this site and my paid membership to the tspcalc, I'm at the top of the heap in earnings this year. Since 2004 the strategy I'm following has been on fire. It does not dictate our future, and neither does this Devils triangle or whatever it is. They're just indicators we can sort of rely on and have hope in. Of course, I 2ant everyone on this site to become millionaires. And when the banks collapse, we'll all have nothing because it's not real! Just ask France, when they wanted to convert their USD to gold, and we responded by suspending dollar to gold conversions.. Because we didn't have it. Did I ramble? Probably. Back to slinging Amazon! To my fellow usps brethren, best of luck in the upcoming month...
Seasonal Strategies:
-Aitrus

danho

Post by danho »

sonofnthng wrote:Since 2004 the strategy I'm following has been on fire.
If you don't mind my asking, which strategy are you following?

sonofnthng

Post by sonofnthng »

43167 is one of 2 I am following. I don't have the same return rate because I didn't start following the daily until may-ish? Before that I was gclapper
Seasonal Strategies:
-Aitrus

MrSnrub

Post by MrSnrub »

Oh boy, if only I had heeded the Death Cross warning. The month after this last post was the Frosty Christmas Correction of 2018!
Nobody knows what the market is going to do in the future. Stop asking. Just shut up and follow strategy #72033 to glory.

Fund Prices2024-04-17

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.25%
F $18.68 0.50% -2.85%
C $78.62 -0.58% 5.72%
S $76.27 -0.89% -1.07%
I $40.66 -0.17% 1.19%
L2065 $15.60 -0.47% 3.17%
L2060 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2055 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2050 $31.39 -0.35% 2.57%
L2045 $14.34 -0.33% 2.47%
L2040 $52.43 -0.31% 2.41%
L2035 $13.87 -0.28% 2.31%
L2030 $46.25 -0.25% 2.24%
L2025 $12.93 -0.12% 1.78%
Linc $25.29 -0.09% 1.55%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".