Seasonal Slump is upon us

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

TSPsmart

Seasonal Slump is upon us

Post by TSPsmart »

"Unthinkable Harm" provides my take on last week's market action and some warnings for the future. Also some warnings to watch for.

It's not how they taught it in investment finance... but unlearning is sometimes required in life.

Also consider, we are entering one of the weakest seasonal timeframes of the year,

Cheers,

Gringoloco

Re: Seasonal Slump is upon us

Post by Gringoloco »

So with expectations now that the fed will cut just .25 basis points vs. .50 I’m hearing it’s not gonna be enough to boost equities with all the other headwinds picking up. It’s still a cut with others likely coming later in the year, so do you see the F fund steadily rising from that point on? I thought the general rule was that when interests rates trend downwards, yields drop and bond funds rise in value...but are there other variables to consider when it comes to the F fund. Thanks

cswift01

Post by cswift01 »

TSPsmart wrote:***

"Unthinkable Harm" provides my take on last week's market action and some warnings for the future. Also some warnings to watch for.

It's not how they taught it in investment finance... but unlearning is sometimes required in life.

Also consider, we are entering one of the weakest seasonal timeframes of the year,

Cheers,
I'm not expecting a steller 2nd half either. I also am worried about corporate debt, which makes the F Fund questionable to me. I think corporate debt mixed with buybacks are bubble territory. That makes AGG a bit iffy...to me.

TSP Jedi

Post by TSP Jedi »

Until the market puts in a trend change I will continue to buy the dips

danno50

Post by danno50 »

cswift01 wrote:

Cheers,
I'm not expecting a steller 2nd half either. I also am worried about corporate debt, which makes the F Fund questionable to me. I think corporate debt mixed with buybacks are bubble territory. That makes AGG a bit iffy...to me.
We're no where near bubble territory.

ArrieS

Post by ArrieS »

danno50 wrote:
cswift01 wrote:

Cheers,
We're no where near bubble territory.
- Somebody, 23 October 1929
OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

Dallas

Post by Dallas »

Here comes the "sky is falling" crew. Grab some popcorn.

cswift01

Post by cswift01 »

Dallas wrote:Here comes the "sky is falling" crew. Grab some popcorn.
We could counter by saying "here come the guys that will miss the bus." Where's my beer? I don't see any point to make fun of people. Just say you disagree and give your reasons (mine are based on the inversion lasting over 3 months) https://today.duke.edu/2019/07/its-offi ... om-horizon.

What are yours?

jlozano042

Post by jlozano042 »

cswift01 wrote:
We could counter by saying "here come the guys that will miss the bus." Where's my beer? I don't see any point to make fun of people. Just say you disagree and give your reasons (mine are based on the inversion lasting over 3 months) https://today.duke.edu/2019/07/its-offi ... om-horizon.

What are yours?
Touché my friend!

Wanted to give you some good rep points but the system wont let me. :(

Tomanyiron

Post by Tomanyiron »

Our government’s ongoing imbroglios have made for a confused market.
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers." Plato
"Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare." Rene Descartes

cswift01

Post by cswift01 »

jlozano042 wrote:
cswift01 wrote:

What are yours?
Touché my friend!

Thanks! I hope you're killing it ths year in the TSP. This could be a visual approximation:

Best

TSPsmart

Post by TSPsmart »

Hmmmm... "We're no where near bubble territory" :?:

I agree, we left that behind a long-time ago when we reached :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: NEVERLAND!
“I trust that many of you are familiar with the story of Peter Pan, in which it says, ‘the moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it,'” Bank of Japan Gov. Haruhiko Kuroda said at a conference hosted by the BOJ on Thursday.
Japan Times 2015

So what happens if we get a 0.5% interest rate "insurance cut" and the market tanks anyway and the economy continues into a recession :?: :?:

Gringoloco

Post by Gringoloco »

So, hasn’t the F fund held up well in all previous corrections and crashes? Or is G fund the only safe place because this time may be different?

TSP Jedi

Post by TSP Jedi »

Bought the F'n dip today..... another leg higher

cswift01

Post by cswift01 »

Funny, I'm getting ugly messages that I'm being political somehow. I don't see it. I'm suggesting to give evidence of people's opinions or at the least showing my sources of my opinions on the economy. I didn't mention parties or politics. Check out the trolls deducting my points. Their comments say nothing, but imply my interpretation of the inverted yield curve is political somehow...

Aitrus, it would be nice to remove the reputation points. It gives people the option to troll you without discussion. There is nothing added to the discussion here at all.

Shame how things are going these days.

Good luck investing all.

Fund Prices2024-04-18

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.27%
F $18.62 -0.30% -3.14%
C $78.45 -0.21% 5.50%
S $76.12 -0.20% -1.27%
I $40.67 0.02% 1.21%
L2065 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2060 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2055 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2050 $31.35 -0.13% 2.44%
L2045 $14.32 -0.12% 2.35%
L2040 $52.37 -0.11% 2.29%
L2035 $13.85 -0.10% 2.21%
L2030 $46.21 -0.09% 2.15%
L2025 $12.93 -0.05% 1.72%
Linc $25.28 -0.04% 1.51%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".