Question for those scheduled to sell S/C tomorrow...

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

bloobs

Question for those scheduled to sell S/C tomorrow...

Post by bloobs »

Question for those scheduled to sell S/C tomorrow, anybody contemplating doing it today (given tomorrow is Friday OPEX volatility day)

Statistically, the mean/stddev deltas are marginal so hmm....

Chulke

Re: Question for those scheduled to sell S/C tomorrow...

Post by Chulke »

That's a good call bloobs...based on this morning's action so far it may be well worth selling out today to lock in those gains before the bi-polar crazies tank the market back down 2-3%...
Cheers!

Current Strat: Loosely following 152300 and 85660 more the former rather than the later
Current PIP: 24.04

CHN

Post by CHN »

Yes, I'll be moving to G today......already spooked by that ~3% loss in S earlier this week. Maybe can lock in some gains unless today is another "rug pull" event. C'est la vie...............

mrwawa

Post by mrwawa »

I was thinking the same thing, but usually when I go with my gut, it doesn't play out. I have done a lot better when I stick with a plan.

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

I decided to stay the course.

As usual I quantified it accordingly:

I looked at several data points and assessed the odds either way made it a wash. One factor was that while S&P500 on opex fridays were only up 40% of the time, that doesn't necessarily apply to mid/small cap indices (e.g. S fund). To that point, per my TASPCALC start, selling S on the 12th trading day in Feb. almost always falls on opex and that has quantifiably resulted in a Feb. gain 80% of the time in that past 20 years.

Having said that, stats look back and do not predict the future, as always.

PS - I did not get an email confirmation when I entered my IFT request yesterday afternoon. Anybody else had the same experience? I called them and they said the request is in the system. IT BETTER BE! I cannot believe our financial futures are in the hands of that awful new system they put in place 2 years ago. :cry:

12squared

Post by 12squared »

bloobs wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:41 am One factor was that while S&P500 on opex fridays were only up 40% of the time, that doesn't necessarily apply to mid/small cap indices (e.g. S fund). To that point, per my TASPCALC start, selling S on the 12th trading day in Feb. almost always falls on opex and that has quantifiably resulted in a Feb. gain 80% of the time in that past 20 years.
I suspect that the mid-month Federal holiday is also a factor. February stats (2004-23) indicate a drop is typical in all equites after the 12th trading day. However, I tends to decline less, and then rebound through the 16th TD.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The genius of investing is recognizing the direction of the trend – not catching the highs or the lows.”
- Dean Witter

"Put all your eggs in one basket and then watch that basket."
- Andrew Carnegie

frankwhite

Post by frankwhite »

My reason to sell on Friday was simple- I’m on vacation and didn’t want to worry about it… that and I think we’re in for a downturn since profits seem to be down, inflation is up, and I don’t see how the Fed can cut rates earlier than late summer if at all in 24. FOMO pushed us higher (GameStop like) but I think we’re coming down. Time will tell.

FWIW- in my decade and a half on this site- I’ve made moves based on market sentiment and outward thinking - I don’t use charts… follow at your own discretion please.

Congrats to all that have banked big returns over the past couple years!

Frank White- out
-My fantasy account mirrors my real TSP account-

NUC SHARK

Post by NUC SHARK »

Several TSP Calc strategies along with some strategies that are shared on Forum chats - are going into I fund on March 10th Trading Day. I don't believe the TSP has switched to the new I fund, just throwing this out there to gauge Forum thoughts on moving to I fund tomorrow.

Chulke

Post by Chulke »

NUC SHARK wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:13 am Several TSP Calc strategies along with some strategies that are shared on Forum chats - are going into I fund on March 10th Trading Day. I don't believe the TSP has switched to the new I fund, just throwing this out there to gauge Forum thoughts on moving to I fund tomorrow.
I'm a bit hesitant to buy into I fund tomorrow as it's sitting close/near to it's all time high...it's gonna depend on today's close I think and maybe tomorrow's early morning action...If it's negative I may buy in...If it's positive I may wait and watch it....I hate to buy in near the ATH's only to watch it sink over the next week or so while I'm in it...Just my 2 cents!

That's about all I'm worth LOL!

Cheers!
Cheers!

Current Strat: Loosely following 152300 and 85660 more the former rather than the later
Current PIP: 24.04

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Chulke wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:35 am
NUC SHARK wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:13 am Several TSP Calc strategies along with some strategies that are shared on Forum chats - are going into I fund on March 10th Trading Day. I don't believe the TSP has switched to the new I fund, just throwing this out there to gauge Forum thoughts on moving to I fund tomorrow.
I'm a bit hesitant to buy into I fund tomorrow as it's sitting close/near to it's all time high...it's gonna depend on today's close I think and maybe tomorrow's early morning action...If it's negative I may buy in...If it's positive I may wait and watch it....I hate to buy in near the ATH's only to watch it sink over the next week or so while I'm in it...Just my 2 cents!

Cheers!
These are good points. What I do is put a smaller percentage into a fund if I don't feel good about it. So, instead of going 100% I (in this case), I would do something like 70% or 50% (depending on how I feel). Sure, I give up some gain if I chose badly, but I also don't lose too much if otherwise.

I'm also in the I camp and not sure what I'll do. I'll figure it out though, just like you guys.

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

Chulke wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:35 am I'm a bit hesitant to buy into I fund tomorrow as it's sitting close/near to it's all time high...
Fair point. Some facts of this Oct to present bull rally:
- C fund has become 8% more overvalued than I fund, which has become 12% more overvalued than S fund
- but the C rally has been mostly about its Mag7 stocks, that has been mostly about NVDA--and not about other 493 stocks in that index, nor the 5000 stocks in the S (Willshire) nor the 792 stocks in the I fund (EFA).
- So aside from the aforementioned 7 stocks, there may still be room to run at least for the next few weeks--until a correction sets in.

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:33 am
Chulke wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:35 am

Cheers!
What I do is put a smaller percentage into a fund if I don't feel good about it. So, instead of going 100% I (in this case), I would do something like 70% or 50% (depending on how I feel). Sure, I give up some gain if I chose badly, but I also don't lose too much if otherwise.
Another way would be to commit all 100% into I then be ready to scale back to G if/when a confirmation of a switch to the downside happens.

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Oh, if some are wondering why the I right now...I believe it's because EFA typically pays a decent dividend in this period, not to mention Japan and a few European economies have their greatest moments this month. Add to that that Blackrock and S.S. are heavily involved in securities lending and you can see why the I fund is a great choice now. Good luck all!

Snapdragon

Post by Snapdragon »

bloobs wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:58 am - So aside from the aforementioned 7 stocks, there may still be room to run at least for the next few weeks--until a correction sets in.
Can you let us all know 2 days before the correction starts? :lol:

IRQVET

Post by IRQVET »

I've done the jump in/ jump out dance before and always seem to miss the mark. Probably cause I'm not entuned to the market like you folks are. All I know is I went 100% C back in Nov. and until this week it was going great . . .
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
Disclaimer: The contents of this thread are known to the state of California to cause cancer. (As they always seem to know more than the rest of us)

Fund Prices2024-04-26

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.21 0.01% 1.36%
F $18.63 0.27% -3.10%
C $79.85 1.02% 7.38%
S $78.29 0.78% 1.55%
I $41.48 0.50% 3.22%
L2065 $15.89 0.80% 5.08%
L2060 $15.89 0.80% 5.08%
L2055 $15.89 0.80% 5.08%
L2050 $31.87 0.68% 4.13%
L2045 $14.54 0.64% 3.94%
L2040 $53.14 0.60% 3.78%
L2035 $14.04 0.55% 3.58%
L2030 $46.78 0.50% 3.41%
L2025 $13.02 0.29% 2.45%
Linc $25.43 0.23% 2.10%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".