So is it true.......

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

Jahbulon

So is it true.......

Post by Jahbulon »

So is it true that Obamacare is about to make government employees health insurance go up on average of $200 to $400 every two weeks?

Trying to sort this out.

What have you guys heard? And please, no Fox News or MSNBC talking points.

skiehawk11

Re: So is it true.......

Post by skiehawk11 »

No, my premiums went up by 20 dollars a month which is normal for the most part. I am switching to a HDHP, most likely GEHA this year since I have such low healthcare expenses. I figure it makes sense for an insurance company to help fund my HSA. :)

And as a comparison, I signed up for the MD exchange program. Exact same details. The "gold" plan for me is 174 a month and that includes dental and vision coverage. It's approximately 22 dollars higher than what I pay currently. So, in terms of expenses there is not a significant increase especially considering I have the same deductible and the benefits are literally the same. Oh, and that's without a subsidy. I don't qualify.

Buckeyedog

Post by Buckeyedog »

So far no for me. Mine went up slightly......about the same increase as usual. The rates are out, so you should be able to find them.

RKresearch

Post by RKresearch »

Since this is the time of year to look I went to OPM.

OPM had this link to the 2014 premiums http://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance ... l=Premiums

I saw some HMO plans that went down and some with hefty increases. I don't know who could attribute this to Obamacare. I was glad to see my provider, Kaiser Mid-Atlantic, held the line with only a 93 cent increase for individuals and $2.14 for families per pay period.

Jahbulon

Post by Jahbulon »

So then people are spreading nasty lies and rumors I guess......hmmmmmmm.

Who would of thunk it?

Scout

Post by Scout »

There are some with hefty increases, especially HMO's, according to the OPM chart. You also have to add the government portion of the premium and check it against last year's contribution to see the total increase. You also don't see those insurerers that dropped out on the OPM charts. The premiums have increased, not decreased, despite the forced participation and that is basically the news. You can't run healthcare from the government and see an improvement in cost and service.

Lastly, there is a tax on "cadillac" plans. Nobody knows who that is going to hit, but the unions are not happy about that one bit.

benhem612

Post by benhem612 »

I use GEHA and my standard family plan is going up around 20 like others said. Considering the standard plan covered all of the costs of my daughters birth and my wife's pregnancy it was a great value this past year.

skiehawk11

Post by skiehawk11 »

Ok, so I took the 2013 total premiums and compared them to this years total premiums (government amount + personal amount). The average premium increase for every single plan listed on the OPM website is 6.6 percent.

This seems to be a normal increase or am I wrong.

skiehawk11

Post by skiehawk11 »

Scout wrote:There are some with hefty increases, especially HMO's, according to the OPM chart. You also have to add the government portion of the premium and check it against last year's contribution to see the total increase. You also don't see those insurerers that dropped out on the OPM charts. The premiums have increased, not decreased, despite the forced participation and that is basically the news. You can't run healthcare from the government and see an improvement in cost and service.

Lastly, there is a tax on "cadillac" plans. Nobody knows who that is going to hit, but the unions are not happy about that one bit.

Scout, I disagree. Our federal health benefits are some of the best. We get the best insurance premiums because as the largest single employer, the federal government can negotiate very competitive premiums. I have been very happy with the service and the cost of healthcare despite the steady increase in premiums since I've joined. Unfortunately, those increases will never stop, but that's due to a multitude of issues.

Scout

Post by Scout »

The average 2014 premium increase for HMO's is 6.5%. http://www.opm.gov/news/releases/2013/0 ... ouncement/

FEHB is great, if you don't look at the loss of control and choice in coverage, but the point is the costs are still increasing despite all the promises to the contrary in order to give up market-based insurance. 6.5% is alot for an annual increase, and if nothing else is guaranteed in life, inefficiency and degraded service is inextricably linked to centrally planned markets.

Plus, averages disguise the problem areas. Look at CA rates!

Bamabound

Post by Bamabound »

Jahbulon wrote: And please, no Fox News or MSNBC talking points.

You mean no Fox News or MSNBC, CNN, HLN, CNBC, ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS talking points don't you.

RKresearch

Post by RKresearch »

Interesting the HMOs went up more than the fee-for-service providers.

See below from the OPM link that Scout sent. It could be that some HMOs don't want a bolus of new customers because it upsets their system. I remember in 1996-1997 that Kaiser took on a lot of new people here in Maryland. It seemed you could not get to see your doctor for months. They finally sorted it out but it took a while.

"On average, FEHB Program enrollees with self only coverage will pay $3.28 more per bi-weekly pay period, and enrollees with family coverage will pay $7.90 more. Premiums for Health Maintenance Organizations will increase an average of 6.5 percent, while Fee-for-Service plans will see an average increase of 3.1 percent."

MakeMe$$$$

Post by MakeMe$$$$ »

benhem612 wrote:I use GEHA and my standard family plan is going up around 20 like others said. Considering the standard plan covered all of the costs of my daughters birth and my wife's pregnancy it was a great value this past year.

GEHA Standard + Family (plan 315) went up $15.50 (7%) a month. Rather normal compared to last 3 years.

https://www.geha.com/Plans-and-Benefits/Premiums
Don
Rolled over to Fidelity 2/24/18.
Fantasy still playing with Daily Strategy 12767.

GT-NMSU

Post by GT-NMSU »

I can't speak for EVERYONES individual policy, but according to RKresearch's (the OPM.gov link):

HMO policy highest increase is $382.70/mo.
HMO policy largest decrease is ($243.25/mo).
Average HMO price change for all plans is $27.30/mo.

FFS policy highest increase is $66.04/mo.
FFS policy largest decrease is ($9.27/mo).
Average HMO price change for all plans is $8.23/mo.

So Jahb, some families "COULD" see a very large increase in their govt. provided health insurance payment.

Fund Prices2024-05-10

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.24 0.01% 1.54%
F $18.86 -0.22% -1.88%
C $81.82 0.18% 10.02%
S $80.25 -0.32% 4.10%
I $42.79 0.31% 6.48%
L2065 $16.31 0.16% 7.91%
L2060 $16.32 0.16% 7.91%
L2055 $16.32 0.16% 7.92%
L2050 $32.61 0.12% 6.56%
L2045 $14.86 0.11% 6.24%
L2040 $54.24 0.10% 5.94%
L2035 $14.31 0.09% 5.58%
L2030 $47.61 0.09% 5.24%
L2025 $13.16 0.05% 3.55%
Linc $25.66 0.04% 3.01%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".