Bill Introduced to Reduce Federal Workers' Pensions

Civil Service Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

BigMike

Re: Bill Introduced to Reduce Federal Workers' Pensions

Post by BigMike »

Jahby, thanks for the info. I know now where to stay away from next Wed. I do not associate with any union activities. They do not look out for MY best interests. They only look out for their own interests and in my opinion they actually prey on their own members much the same way that AARP shafts seniors every day. As long as it adds to their bottom line that is all they really care about.

crondanet5

Post by crondanet5 »

Maybe this is the way the Greeks felt when their government shafted them?

spin360

Post by spin360 »

crondanet5 wrote:Maybe this is the way the Greeks felt when their government shafted them?

That's what I was thinking... though their situation is much worse.

Jahbulon

Post by Jahbulon »

Is it? Each tax payer in the U.S. is on the hook for $1.04 million in future unfunded promises.

flight23

Post by flight23 »

It is quite different, but in 5 years if we continue the way we are then it might not be quite so clear cut. Greece is just simply not competitive, they have gone years with ridiculously early retirement ages, excessive pensions, relatively low work ethic relative to the more successful economies, etc. Just like the US they borrowed to maintain an illusion of increasing quality of life but now that is all coming home to roost.

The difference in the US is if we actually go back to our historical norms of taxation/GDP and spending/GDP (both of which are moving in the wrong direction) and our economy continues to grow, we can eventually make our way out of the debt, although it will take 20 years. We can also print currency which is a form of flat hidden taxation on all savings of every person and company in the US, this is something that Greece cannot do and the primary reason why the system there, no matter what they try in terms of debt haircuts, austerity, etc, will fail. Just wait until the next few quarters of dismal GDP numbers in Greece come out. Tourism is going to tank, continued austerity is going to mean more homeless and more people leaving the country for search of a better life, more bartering and under the table transfers of money to avoid taxation, huge drops in property values and resulting taxation, and eventually, in my opinion a complete social revolt.
@GlobalCollapse on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/GlobalCollapse

Jahbulon

Post by Jahbulon »

I agree flight, I just don't see the ability to politically get anything done.

I'm concerned about our future because I don't believe our leaders will work together for a collective solution. They are only focused on the next auction (election). By the time they are forced to take real action it will be too little too late..............but I hope I am wrong.

flight23

Post by flight23 »

Zerohedge just noted that passenger traffic in Greece's largest airport dropped 11% in January...

inthecloud

Post by inthecloud »

Jahbulon wrote:I agree flight, I just don't see the ability to politically get anything done.

I'm concerned about our future because I don't believe our leaders will work together for a collective solution. They are only focused on the next auction (election). By the time they are forced to take real action it will be too little too late..............but I hope I am wrong.

Which makes me wonder, why does our country keep voting these clowns back into office? This fall, 75% of incumbents will be re-installed and people will blindly vote party line for President. Until the voting populace wakes up, I don't see our country's problems getting any better.
Brian

flight23

Post by flight23 »

Without a third choice it is choosing the lesser of two evils, thats the problem. Having a third centrist party with significant power in the Congress would entirely change the dynamic back to voting for the good of the people, IMO.

m.eddy

Post by m.eddy »

Flight, I have to agree with you on needing a middle ground. BigMike, I completely disagree with you. If you are not actively involved in trying to make a change, then you are as culpable as the politicians are. When was the last time you took five to ten minutes out of your day to pick up the phone to call your congressman or senator or God forbid go by their office to ask "What are you doing?" Please note that I did not capitialize congressman or senator because the ones that actual have the interest of the common American at heart get voted out leaving you with varing degrees evil. Before you ask or comment, I am NTEU and I step up for federal employees.

skiehawk11

Post by skiehawk11 »

m.eddy wrote:Flight, I have to agree with you on needing a middle ground. BigMike, I completely disagree with you. If you are not actively involved in trying to make a change, then you are as culpable as the politicians are. When was the last time you took five to ten minutes out of your day to pick up the phone to call your congressman or senator or God forbid go by their office to ask "What are you doing?" Please note that I did not capitialize congressman or senator because the ones that actual have the interest of the common American at heart get voted out leaving you with varing degrees evil. Before you ask or comment, I am NTEU and I step up for federal employees.

You bring up a good point. When was the last time I called up my representative and asked them to fix themselves? To be honest, I never have.

I will say that I am not a union fan. Unions today are completely different than when they were first desperately needed. With that said they still do some good, but I just don't like the other things unions are associated with.

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

m.eddy wrote:Flight, I have to agree with you on needing a middle ground. BigMike, I completely disagree with you. If you are not actively involved in trying to make a change, then you are as culpable as the politicians are. When was the last time you took five to ten minutes out of your day to pick up the phone to call your congressman or senator or God forbid go by their office to ask "What are you doing?" Please note that I did not capitialize congressman or senator because the ones that actual have the interest of the common American at heart get voted out leaving you with varing degrees evil. Before you ask or comment, I am NTEU and I step up for federal employees.

Eddy, I believe I am actively involved. I have written to my representatives and actually visited them many times. However, I usually get the standard run around (we will look into it) or some other "Party Line" BS. The thing I have become more active in lately that I actully believe will have more affect is the Tea Party.

Voting is the ultimate key. The only way to change the system is from within the system. The more Tea Party candidates we can put in office the harder it will be for the old establishment politicians to play their games and ignore the people.

Actually I did work in a job several years ago that had NTEU employees. I must admit that NTEU is not as bad as most union shops and that they for the most part really do try to look out for their employees. I think they did make some really bad decisions in the last few years about the now dead NSPS system though. They prevented their employees from being covered by NSPS and in the process hurt them badly as far as pay raises and bonuses they could have received. I know many NTEU people that are as a result now far behind where their peers were able to get to.

m.eddy

Post by m.eddy »

BigMike, good for you getting involved. It takes people constantly knocking on their doors and calling to get their attention. As some of mine have learned, there is strength in numbers. I have been able to affect change in the work enviornment by doubling membership to the point where I can use the commercial with management, "Can you here me now?" That is the approach that we need to take with the politicians. Hopefully we will see a house cleaning in this coming election. You may not be interested in being union or may not be able to join but there is something out there that you can contribute to that will support politicians or candidates that have the interest of federal employees and the military at heart. NTEU has TEPAC (Treasury Employee's Political Action Committee). AFGE and some of the others have similiar PACs. Here is the thing that most people do not know, it is a violation of law to spend union dues for PAC activities, they have to come from seperate funds. Some people will tell you they only support Democrates and that is false. The car manufacurers, tobacco, oil companies; they all have PACs that pay for lobbists and they are spending huge amounts of money to make sure their politicians or candidates get into office. There are two things that civilian labor unions can do that federal employee unions can not do; one they can strike and second, they can negotiate pay ours is set by Congress. All the more reason to get in their ear and stay there. I will be more than happy to send anyone copies of how all of the senators and congressmen voted on the issues dealing with our pay, retirement, and benefits. It is too big to post on here. The thing that will make you mad is just how many of them did not vote. We send them there to do a job and they are not doing it. WE WOULD BE GONE IF WE DID NOT DO OUR JOB.

The Tea Party has some good ideas but I would be interested in seeing a seperate party with a middle ground approach. I support a balanced budget but you can not undo 50 yrs in 10 yrs. 20 yrs, maybe? The big thing I see looking at our economy is that we are currently a "consumer country," that means we will have a deficate. To change that we need to return to our roots of being an "industrial / export country," that means you have a surplus. Balanced trade anyone?? This change I believe can be done in under 10 yrs and will have a positive affect on our deficate. That is just me. It is time to wake up America!

flight23

Post by flight23 »

Not to be a stickler or derail this thread, but to clarify, just because we are an import/consumer country doesnt mean we have to run a deficit. It does mean that each year we send a small percentage of our overall national wealth overseas however.

Deficit simply refers to government spending vs revenue. Revenue can be increased or spending decreased to eliminate a deficit, but we would still be an import nation.

inthecloud

Post by inthecloud »

Apparently Congress doesn't think the civil service workforce is contributing enough to the budget reductions. Joy.

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/722/276 ... nefit-cuts
Brian

Fund Prices2024-04-17

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.25%
F $18.68 0.50% -2.85%
C $78.62 -0.58% 5.72%
S $76.27 -0.89% -1.07%
I $40.66 -0.17% 1.19%
L2065 $15.60 -0.47% 3.17%
L2060 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2055 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2050 $31.39 -0.35% 2.57%
L2045 $14.34 -0.33% 2.47%
L2040 $52.43 -0.31% 2.41%
L2035 $13.87 -0.28% 2.31%
L2030 $46.25 -0.25% 2.24%
L2025 $12.93 -0.12% 1.78%
Linc $25.29 -0.09% 1.55%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".