Merit Promotion Questions

Civil Service Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

tspibc

Merit Promotion Questions

Post by tspibc »

I am new to the federal government and I was wondering if I apply to Merit Promotion postings is there still veterans preference?

In other words, if I apply to the same job that a vet applies to (I have no preference) under merit promotion does the vet have preference over me?

Thank you

rfalcan

Re: Merit Promotion Questions

Post by rfalcan »

I believe that this counts only for external hires (Vet get a one time preference). Once you are in the system, you compete on even field. But, I have seen people with more experiance being over looked by their supervisors without real justification. just an observation!

S2000

Post by S2000 »

Q1: I am new to the federal government and I was wondering if I apply to Merit Promotion postings is there still veterans preference?

A1: Veterans preference is only used as an INITIAL hiring authority. So a vet, who is not currently employed by the federal government, and who is qualified for the job of interest, is eligible to apply for the job based on his veteran status.

Q2: In other words, if I apply to the same job that a vet applies to (I have no preference) under merit promotion does the vet have preference over me?

A2: The veteran, who is currently employed or not employed by the fed, is only eligible to apply for the position, but does not have a preference over you.

Hope this helps

tspibc

Post by tspibc »

Thank you for the clear responses! It helps a lot

Maybe someone knows the answer to another special hiring authority question I have been thinking about.

If one applies to a merit promotion position under superior academic achievement do you not have to meet time in grade requirements?

For example, if a job is posted as a GS 7 and has superior academic achievement as one of the ways to qualify for the position. But the applicant doesn't have time in grade as a GS 5 or 6. Could the applicant apply for the position based off of superior academic achievement?

TexanJim

Post by TexanJim »

tspibc wrote:Thank you for the clear responses! It helps a lot

Maybe someone knows the answer to another special hiring authority question I have been thinking about.

If one applies to a merit promotion position under superior academic achievement do you not have to meet time in grade requirements?

For example, if a job is posted as a GS 7 and has superior academic achievement as one of the ways to qualify for the position. But the applicant doesn't have time in grade as a GS 5 or 6. Could the applicant apply for the position based off of superior academic achievement?

Yes....I hired off the street as a 7 that way.

fishbone

Post by fishbone »

tspibc wrote:Thank you for the clear responses! It helps a lot

I think in order to qualify that way you will have to compete external hire and not internal. But, a quick call to your HR department should be able to confirm this.

Winner

Post by Winner »

tspibc wrote:I am new to the federal government and I was wondering if I apply to Merit Promotion postings is there still veterans preference?

In other words, if I apply to the same job that a vet applies to (I have no preference) under merit promotion does the vet have preference over me?

Thank you

http://www.opm.gov/faqs/topic/veterans/ ... 6d5&page=2

Is there a limit to the number of times I can use my veterans' preference when applying for Federal jobs?
No. There is no limit on how many times you can apply and claim an entitlement to veterans' preference. However, it is important to remember that veterans' preference does not apply when the agency is using merit promotion procedures to fill a position.

rfalcan & S2000,
I am a current Federal employee; can I use my veterans' preference when applying for another competitive position opened under all sources in a different Federal agency?
Yes. There is no limit to the number of times you can use veterans' preference.

For all veterans
You can use VEOA on any position up to GS-11.
“A brave man knows the circumstances and consequences of what he may encounter ahead…..but moves forward anyway.”

Fund Prices2024-04-18

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.27%
F $18.62 -0.30% -3.14%
C $78.45 -0.21% 5.50%
S $76.12 -0.20% -1.27%
I $40.67 0.02% 1.21%
L2065 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2060 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2055 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2050 $31.35 -0.13% 2.44%
L2045 $14.32 -0.12% 2.35%
L2040 $52.37 -0.11% 2.29%
L2035 $13.85 -0.10% 2.21%
L2030 $46.21 -0.09% 2.15%
L2025 $12.93 -0.05% 1.72%
Linc $25.28 -0.04% 1.51%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".