Is The "Pre-Selected Candidate" The Federal Hiring Norm?

Official TSP Center polls.

Moderator: Aitrus

Yes
73%
No
14%
What Are You Talking About?
13%

Total votes: 92

TSPking
Site Admin

Post by TSPking »

Is The "Pre-Selected Candidate" The Federal Hiring Norm? If you know what I'm talking about, what percentage of new hires do you think are "pre-selected"?
TSPking

It's a gift...and a curse ~ Adrian Monk

TSPking
Site Admin

Re: Is The "Pre-Selected Candidate" The Federal Hiring Norm?

Post by TSPking »

I'm going on the record with an 80% opinion. My observation is the govt prefers to evaluate specific contractor performance and when warrented...recruit via a carefully crafted and targeted job description versus submiting an generic job announcement truly open to the public.
TSPking

It's a gift...and a curse ~ Adrian Monk

Sptms2086

Post by Sptms2086 »

My guess is pre-selection of candidates about 50% of the time.

crondanet5

Post by crondanet5 »

I think it is much more politically involved than anyone imagines.

frankwhite

Post by frankwhite »

I think King hit the nail on the head... to expand - I don't believe 'the most qualified candidate' is chosen in general... I believe the personality of the candidate and how well they integrate in the existing team structure of the hiring organization plays a bigger role in the overall selection process... thus the 'trial' contract period and selection of a known entity...

I put the practice at or above 80%...
-My fantasy account mirrors my real TSP account-

Toadystyle

Post by Toadystyle »

I agree Frank. In my position I rarely see the most qualified hired. I have witnessed over and over a selection of a candidate the made the "best qualified list" that seemed hardly qualified but had a previous relationship with someone within the agency.

grizzly386

Post by grizzly386 »

I don't know how it works in the contractor world but here is my input. There are some steps to the selection process that may not allow someone to be pre-chosen. They have to get a high enough score to be referred on the best qualified candidate list. This alone could prevent a person that someone may be interested in from not being qualified.

If they make the list then the first thing that is seen is your resume. I firmly believe that most people cut themselves short when they do not take the time to ensure a quality resume. Most people do the one that is provided through USA Jobs and fail to cover the important areas to make them stand out. I tell everyone that it doesn't hurt you to do a professional resume in addition to it and include it in your packet.

frankwhite brings out a very important point that when you have a candidate that checks all the boxes, proven track record, and would fit into an existing team structure that they would be looked upon favorably. However I have seen when someone else is chosen because they do better during the hiring process, such as the oral board.

Pre-selection may occur in some parts of the nation but I believe it is very low, due to the checks and balances that are put in place.

Recommendations:
1) Ask you supervisors/managers to review your resume and ask for their input. There are different types of managers/supervisors styles so have it reviewed by as many different ones as possible. Constantly update it and double check it before hitting submit.

2) In your day to day work be part of the solution and be a team player. Make formal/informal recommendations to improve your team which will ultimately improve your office.

3) Volunteer when you can to take on additional duties. This could be details to HQ, local collateral duties, etc. These things help you to stand out in your resume.

4) Sell yourself if you make the list. Request a meeting with the selecting official before the selection process begins. Let them know that you made the list and that you are looking forward to the opportunity to become part of the team and what you have to offer. Keep in mind that your resume is being compared with all of the other best qualified candidates. This is why #1 is so important. If your resume is not squared away then you may not get to the next step in the process.

5) If someone else is chosen, find out what they had that you did not, and work towards getting it. This could be training, education, etc. Don’t do this in a controversial way. Inquire in a non-formal setting and explain that you want to make yourself a better future candidate and ask for their recommendations based upon the recent selection.

I hope this helps some of you.

MakeMe$$$$

Post by MakeMe$$$$ »

Depends I suppose.

In Air Traffic Control the hiring process is pretty generic for entry into the field. If one can get through the process of application and get to the academy I don't think there is much, if any pre-selection in the process. Even supervisor/management bids are fairly standardized.

However, there can be some politics in the selection process for subsequent positions. So, if there are enough bidders to be paneled, there can be some "cherry picking" done. Occasionally, I have seen bids closed with no selection. In some cases I think it was lack of qualified individuals but in some cases I wondered why.

Now, as to contractors and such, I am so far out of that loop, I don't even want to imagine the potential for rigging that can take place.

BTW, I said yes only because I have heard it happens.
Don
Rolled over to Fidelity 2/24/18.
Fantasy still playing with Daily Strategy 12767.

kentsc

Post by kentsc »

This is my very first post. Since the subject hit so close to home, I decided to plunge in.
I am a victim of pre-selection. I can only guess what the real reasons are, altruistically maybe because mgmt wanted to preserve organizational stability, or is it because selectee is a close friend of the selecting official. I have to laud Grissly's trust in the system. I lost it when I have seen too many times additional cert lists being asked for until the desired candidate name surface.
All I can say when an external selectee was made ahead of me, that they deserve what they asked for since my agency's hard hiring freeze forces them to put this selection on hold.
I believe 80% is a good number!

sickpuppy

Post by sickpuppy »

There is no "federal norm". It varies from agency and department and I have personally witnessed all extremes. One department may be 90% and the next 10% or less. Most opinions on this topic usually carry some bias strictly due to personal experiences within a given environment.

sludg

Post by sludg »

When I was getting out of the military and looking for Gov jobs I was told one saying that has held true for almost all GS employees i've met... "It's not about what you know, but who you know"

The good ol boy network is how positions are filled the majority of the time. When I was hired they were doing a mass hiring to fill a new function in the department so about 75% of the people hired had worked with the person doing the hiring at some point in their military career. Is it the right thing, well no, but to be 27 as a GS12 i'm not complaining either.
Rule No. 1: never lose money; rule No. 2: don't forget rule No. 1 ~ Warren Buffett

sludg

Post by sludg »

@Grizzly,
I've seen managers contact HR and request resumes for specific individuals. The process is not working when you can bypass it for the pre-selected individual by specifically requesting their resume to ensure it gets through to your desk.
Rule No. 1: never lose money; rule No. 2: don't forget rule No. 1 ~ Warren Buffett

Fund Prices2024-03-27

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.14 0.01% 1.00%
F $19.09 0.26% -0.68%
C $82.11 0.87% 10.42%
S $82.19 1.48% 6.61%
I $42.68 0.56% 6.21%
L2065 $16.38 0.84% 8.36%
L2060 $16.38 0.84% 8.36%
L2055 $16.39 0.84% 8.36%
L2050 $32.73 0.71% 6.94%
L2045 $14.91 0.67% 6.56%
L2040 $54.37 0.63% 6.20%
L2035 $14.34 0.58% 5.77%
L2030 $47.66 0.53% 5.35%
L2025 $13.14 0.31% 3.40%
Linc $25.60 0.24% 2.79%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".