What do you listen to?

For those topics that don't have a place in any of the other forums.

Moderator: Aitrus

onerepmax

Re: What do you listen to?

Post by onerepmax »

Timber82 wrote:Money/Investing, I like to follow shows that are laid back and at times humourous, I have never purchased a stock based on reccomendations on these shows but I do enjoy hearing how and why the support or don't support a stock as well as keeps me current on market events.

Stacking Benjamins and Financial Rockstar would fit the bill.

onerepmax

Post by onerepmax »

Aitrus wrote:You guys listen to a lot more of financial advice than I do / have time for. I wonder, do any of them talk about seasonal tendencies investing methods based on seasonality at all? Do any of them mention publications such as The Traders Almanac or the like?

I don't recall any seasonal talk Traders Almanac.

onerepmax

Post by onerepmax »

kdfwr310 wrote:Not a podcast guy, but listen to Ramsey sometimes on the radio. I believe in some of his philosophies as you shouldn't be investing in retirement while owning a pile of debt. I do have a credit card for business expenses, so I'd get kicked off his team pretty quick lol.

I don't follow the no investing with debt... I can't pass up that 5% match. Sorry Dave. Trying my best to follow most of the rest.

Ric Edelman prefers to NOT BUDGET. He says to figure out what you need to save, and spend the rest.

maui21ice

Post by maui21ice »

I have a half hour drive to and from work every day so I've been firing up random Dave Ramsey YouTube segments on my phone and listening to them as I drive. I find all his bits (millionaire hour, getting out of debt, callers with specific situations) all very insightful and teaching me a lot. Makes me want to conquer debt and build up my nest-egg even more each time I hear one of his broadcasts.

onerepmax

Post by onerepmax »

maui21ice wrote:I have a half hour drive to and from work every day so I've been firing up random Dave Ramsey YouTube segments on my phone and listening to them as I drive. I find all his bits (millionaire hour, getting out of debt, callers with specific situations) all very insightful and teaching me a lot. Makes me want to conquer debt and build up my nest-egg even more each time I hear one of his broadcasts.

You could use a podcast app (I use Pocketcasts) and download his show while home on wifi. They come in 40 min segments. That could save you data and phone battery. You could also speed up the playback a bit and get a whole segment in each way.

sonofnthng

Post by sonofnthng »

Aitrus wrote:For background music, I listen to electric guitar instrumentals, mostly by Buckethead. His slower stuff, none of his eclectic weirdness. Of his 250+ albums, Monument Valley, Electric Sea, Echo, and Sparks in the Dark are examples of what I like.

Cool man, my band used to cover some Buckethead jams! Check out bands like Grails and Do Make Say Think, you might dig that spaced out vibe.

PODCASTS:
This American Life
Reply All
I Am Rapaport
UBK Happy Funtime Hour (Music Engineering)
Here We Are (Shane Mauss)
Part Of The Problem (Dave Smith)
Welcome To Nightvale

MUSIC:
everything except radio top 40.
Billie Holliday, Amy Winehouse, The Contortionist, Converge, Homeboy Sandman, Aesop Rock, Miles Davis, Colin Stetson, The #12 Looks Like You, Kansas, Richard Dawson, Secret Chiefs 3, Dillon, Ravi Shankar, etc.
Tracking #85660 -//- PIP 35.29% Jan '21
Seasonal Strategies:
http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 205#p53743
Yes, death is coming...but then again, it's always coming.
-Aitrus

Winner

Post by Winner »

Sometime with Mad Money Jim Cramer - Did opposite to what he recommended and I made money.
“A brave man knows the circumstances and consequences of what he may encounter ahead…..but moves forward anyway.”

sakae90

Post by sakae90 »

I listen to my wife.

mmmmmbeer

Post by mmmmmbeer »

sakae90 wrote:I listen to my wife.

Wull theres ya problem right there! ;)
Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.

sakae90

Post by sakae90 »

:lol: ...oh crap, she's right behind me. :shock:

mmmmmbeer

Post by mmmmmbeer »

sakae90 wrote::lol: ...oh crap, she's right behind me. :shock:

You're not the boss of him!! :D
Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

sakae90 is a smart man...happy wife, happy life :)

cb14

Post by cb14 »

Timber82 wrote:Work - I follow podcasts in my respective field (government contracting) to stay on top of things, and even help me learn things I still haven't picked up as I am fairly new in my career field). Then I also follow Federal News Radio to keep up on the goings on around the Fed govt.

Timber82,
Could you recommend specific gov't contracting podcasts? As I am an 1102, also in this career field.
Current Allocation: C-60% S-20% I-20%
Your Personal Investment Performance (PIP) for the past 12 months ending 11/30/2017 is 23.02%.

onerepmax

Post by onerepmax »

hmarkway wrote:
onerepmax wrote:Do any of you listen to these, or any other financial podcasts that you'd recommend?

I don't listen to any of those, but I've heard good things about Stacking Benjamin's and Financial Rockstar.

I listen to many different types of podcasts, but as far as financial (particularly financial independence focused):
    ChooseFI Podcast - I've been stuck on this for the last couple of weeks. Love the JL Collins Stock Series episodes.
    Mad FIentist - He's got great interviews to get you thinking, and he's got a great take on numbers
    Afford Anything - Yet another financial independence based podcast, with more of a bent about making smart choices with your money. Paula answers all kinds of money questions from her audience, and she's a shrewd real estate investor and gives no-nonsense advise on how you can be too. Whatever she's talking about, she breaks it down and shows you how easy it can be.

I've been binge-listening to Choose FI!

hmarkway

Post by hmarkway »

onerepmax wrote:
hmarkway wrote:
I listen to many different types of podcasts, but as far as financial (particularly financial independence focused):
  • ChooseFI Podcast - I've been stuck on this for the last couple of weeks. Love the JL Collins Stock Series episodes.
  • Mad FIentist - He's got great interviews to get you thinking, and he's got a great take on numbers
  • Afford Anything - Yet another financial independence based podcast, with more of a bent about making smart choices with your money. Paula answers all kinds of money questions from her audience, and she's a shrewd real estate investor and gives no-nonsense advise on how you can be too. Whatever she's talking about, she breaks it down and shows you how easy it can be.
I've been binge-listening to Choose FI!
Great! Glad to hear I could provide a good suggestion. They also have a very active facebook group (ChooseFI), where there are always good financial links and podcasts being shared. I just downloaded a couple episodes of The Dough Roller Money Podcast on the recommendation of several in the ChooseFI group. Apparently Dough Roller does a great series on investing that started in Jan 2016 (episode 236). I'll give it a listen and let you know if it's good.
Current Allocation: 50/50 split F/G Funds, as of 1/3/2018
Strategy: Loosely following Daily Seasonal #16198 until I figure out my 2018 plan when all the main plans start diverging.

Fund Prices2024-03-28

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.15 0.05% 1.05%
F $19.08 -0.06% -0.74%
C $82.21 0.11% 10.55%
S $82.43 0.30% 6.92%
I $42.57 -0.24% 5.95%
L2065 $16.38 0.02% 8.37%
L2060 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2055 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2050 $32.73 0.01% 6.95%
L2045 $14.91 0.02% 6.58%
L2040 $54.38 0.02% 6.22%
L2035 $14.34 0.02% 5.79%
L2030 $47.67 0.02% 5.38%
L2025 $13.15 0.03% 3.43%
Linc $25.61 0.03% 2.82%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".