It's about time

For those topics that don't have a place in any of the other forums.

Moderator: Aitrus

cswift01

It's about time

Post by cswift01 »

Dear all,

Another few weeks have passed and I'm reminded of our history after reading more and more negative comments that are somehow streaming into our message board (reflecting U.S. society). I received this from a friend https://foto.limburger.nl/75-jaar-bevri ... er=&datum= and it reminds me of how General Mattis (https://thehill.com/policy/defense/3480 ... respecting), when speaking to the troops, told them that we Americans are too busy yelling over each other instead of listening to each other (if you want examples, just check out all the negative/trolling comments on my profile page). People are too interested in having themselves heard as opposed to working together to a common goal. At the least, there is less and less civil conversation. Sometimes, we need to spend some time looking at the sacrifices that our forefathers bore, as opposed to making ourselves heard because we think by insulting others we can have our "win."

Enjoy the pics. They mean a lot for us and the world.

My best,

Me

jlozano042

Re: It's about time

Post by jlozano042 »

Those were very interesting pictures cswift01 - thank you for sharing them. I love seeing and engrossing myself into these types of pictures and trying to feel what the people are experiencing at that exact time ... some good .. some bad. It;s impossible for me to know exactly how they felt, but the little that I do try keeps my emotions in check and reminds me of our past - the good and the bad. Speaking of which ... re-watched Saving Private Ryan last night with the family. Your post reminded me of it ..

Anyways ... here's to listening and working for a common goal.

cswift01

Post by cswift01 »

jlozano042 wrote:Those were very interesting pictures cswift01 - thank you for sharing them. I love seeing and engrossing myself into these types of pictures and trying to feel what the people are experiencing at that exact time ... some good .. some bad. It;s impossible for me to know exactly how they felt, but the little that I do try keeps my emotions in check and reminds me of our past - the good and the bad. Speaking of which ... re-watched Saving Private Ryan last night with the family. Your post reminded me of it ..

Anyways ... here's to listening and working for a common goal.
Thanks for the comment. I still remember going to the opening of Saving Private Ryan while visiting family in Iowa. I was so overwhelmed by the veterans that were at the movie that were literally at the beachhead. The raw emotion that many showed as they left the movie was enough to invoke emotion in myself and many others that would not know that fate. I really felt lucky that day and many days since that we don't have to relive that situation anymore.

Great addition, Jlozano. Thanks. :)

jlozano042

Post by jlozano042 »

Yeah brother - anytime.

I remember the opening of Saving Private Ryan myself, you could feel the emotions in the air from the entire audience. One of the few times I actually got emotional in public, I felt the same thing last night. It's intense.

Horaenaut

Post by Horaenaut »

I appreciate your call to civility and your reminder of the sacrifices that have been made and bind us together as Americans.

I think the TSP discussion gets bitter because while political events and positions certainly affect the markets, discussing those events can be a gateway into some of our deeper political divides and perceived wounds. The only way I know to overcome the animosity is constant reminders that most of what we want on the local scale is strikingly similar, despite our sometimes vicious opposition as to how to achieve them. Good health, safety, liberty of choices, protection from being taken advantage of, prospering communities, an opportunity to be heard and to help, and a way to live out our highest ideals.

I was really expecting a major down day for markets--oil supply attack, GM strike, and Purdue Pharma bankruptcy--but despite the fact that I am positioned for a major correction, I'm not hoping for it. I hope folks are right to be optimistic about the markets. When I write about a possible impending recession it is not an indictment of the president or corporations (even though there are policies I have disagreed with), but an attempt to minimize the financial risks that a I fear are coming. It feels good to be proven right (even when you would rather be wrong) but I hope both bulls and bears, repubs and dems, boomers and millennial, and us american government employee and retiree investors can show some magnanimity in in our discussions.

tspwizard1

Post by tspwizard1 »

I hear your point. Unfortunately it is not possible to have a civil conversation with a Trump supporter about anything. They just ignore facts. Chinese are paying the tariffs not US consumers, Mexico will pay for the wall, his constant attack on the environment, biggest tax cut for corporations in history (which lead to record buyback of stocks and a huge increase in the deficit), etc. How can anyone have a conversation or want to have one with someone who supports this level of deceit?

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/politic ... over-days/

And yes I know it is the washingston post. So scream fake news... Crazy how intelligent people can be transformed into mindless foot soldiers for a con man.

Optimus187

Post by Optimus187 »

tspwizard1 wrote:I hear your point. Unfortunately it is not possible to have a civil conversation with a Trump supporter about anything. They just ignore facts. Chinese are paying the tariffs not US consumers, Mexico will pay for the wall, his constant attack on the environment, biggest tax cut for corporations in history (which lead to record buyback of stocks and a huge increase in the deficit), etc. How can anyone have a conversation or want to have one with someone who supports this level of deceit?

And yes I know it is the washingston post. So scream fake news... Crazy how intelligent people can be transformed into mindless foot soldiers for a con man.

This has to be a parody account

Optimus187

Post by Optimus187 »

Horaenaut wrote:I appreciate your call to civility and your reminder of the sacrifices that have been made and bind us together as Americans.

I think the TSP discussion gets bitter because while political events and positions certainly affect the markets, discussing those events can be a gateway into some of our deeper political divides and perceived wounds. The only way I know to overcome the animosity is constant reminders that most of what we want on the local scale is strikingly similar, despite our sometimes vicious opposition as to how to achieve them. Good health, safety, liberty of choices, protection from being taken advantage of, prospering communities, an opportunity to be heard and to help, and a way to live out our highest ideals.

I was really expecting a major down day for markets--oil supply attack, GM strike, and Purdue Pharma bankruptcy--but despite the fact that I am positioned for a major correction, I'm not hoping for it. I hope folks are right to be optimistic about the markets. When I write about a possible impending recession it is not an indictment of the president or corporations (even though there are policies I have disagreed with), but an attempt to minimize the financial risks that a I fear are coming. It feels good to be proven right (even when you would rather be wrong) but I hope both bulls and bears, repubs and dems, boomers and millennial, and us american government employee and retiree investors can show some magnanimity in in our discussions.
Great post

tspwizard1

Post by tspwizard1 »

Optimus187 wrote:
tspwizard1 wrote:I hear your point. Unfortunately it is not possible to have a civil conversation with a Trump supporter about anything. They just ignore facts. Chinese are paying the tariffs not US consumers, Mexico will pay for the wall, his constant attack on the environment, biggest tax cut for corporations in history (which lead to record buyback of stocks and a huge increase in the deficit), etc. How can anyone have a conversation or want to have one with someone who supports this level of deceit?

Again, you don't even acknowledge the lies. Today Trump attacked media for saying he'd meet with Iran with no pred-conditions. Which is what he said. You just prove my point. No discussion on his conduct. Cannot even have a civil discussion with Trump supporters. And to the point of the original post. That is sad. However, those of us that want to protect this country, and not let it slip into mindless dictatorship will not mindlessly get in line. Please acknowledge that there is truth, and there is fiction.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/16/politics ... index.html

SnareMV17

Post by SnareMV17 »

Is there a difference between a Trump supporter and a America supporter? I don’t like deficits, big or small. I don’t like broken promises, either. Does that mean I want to support everyone that is against Trump? No it does not. Some people are smart enough to know the difference. You just seem to like to tell people they are wrong.
"Get your money for nothin', and your chicks for free."

Following TSPCalc strategy #64902.

Optimus187

Post by Optimus187 »

tspwizard1 wrote:
Optimus187 wrote:

Again, you don't even acknowledge the lies. Today Trump attacked media for saying he'd meet with Iran with no pred-conditions. Which is what he said. You just prove my point. No discussion on his conduct. Cannot even have a civil discussion with Trump supporters. And to the point of the original post. That is sad. However, those of us that want to protect this country, and not let it slip into mindless dictatorship will not mindlessly get in line. Please acknowledge that there is truth, and there is fiction.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/16/politics ... index.html
Wow. Do you not see that OP started this thread to ask for civility and you just disregarded that and went off the rails?

I come to this site so my family can have a better future. That’s all. I honestly thought that green would unite everyone regardless of party affiliation, but I see some people can let go of their candidate not winning election.

Whatever you are going through, I hope you find peace.

tspwizard1

Post by tspwizard1 »

Wow. Do you not see that OP started this thread to ask for civility and you just disregarded that and went off the rails?

I was just explaining that smart, hard working, decent people that care about how this country will not fall in line, and just not say anything about what is currently going on. Nothing uncivil about that. In fact it is patriotic. When the supreme leader says the sky is orange, believe him or realize it is blue. Up to you.

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

Optimus187 wrote:

I think your response proves his point
Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.
― Mahatma Gandhi

If it's a choice between a difficult truth and a simple lie, people will take the lie every time. Even if it kills them.
― Paul Murray

Hoss2112

Post by Hoss2112 »

tspwizard1 wrote:Wow. Do you not see that OP started this thread to ask for civility and you just disregarded that and went off the rails?

I was just explaining that smart, hard working, decent people that care about how this country will not fall in line, and just not say anything about what is currently going on. Nothing uncivil about that. In fact it is patriotic. When the supreme leader says the sky is orange, believe him or realize it is blue. Up to you.
No, you were NOT "just explaining that smart, hard working, decent people that care about how this country will not fall in line, and just not say anything about what is currently going on." You are up to your usual shenanigans by hijacking a topic and turning it into your personal vendetta against Trump.
'Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason.'
-Mark Twain

Optimus187

Post by Optimus187 »

bloobs wrote:
Optimus187 wrote:

I think your response proves his point
Wonder Twin two has entered the arena

You guys are a riot. Have a great day an d God bless. Thanks for trying OP

Fund Prices2024-04-24

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.20 0.01% 1.34%
F $18.64 -0.24% -3.04%
C $79.40 0.02% 6.78%
S $78.08 -0.18% 1.28%
I $41.48 -0.10% 3.23%
L2065 $15.84 -0.05% 4.74%
L2060 $15.84 -0.05% 4.75%
L2055 $15.84 -0.05% 4.75%
L2050 $31.79 -0.06% 3.86%
L2045 $14.51 -0.05% 3.68%
L2040 $53.01 -0.05% 3.54%
L2035 $14.01 -0.04% 3.36%
L2030 $46.69 -0.04% 3.21%
L2025 $13.01 -0.02% 2.33%
Linc $25.40 -0.02% 2.00%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".