What do you listen to?

For those topics that don't have a place in any of the other forums.

Moderator: Aitrus

onerepmax

What do you listen to?

Post by onerepmax »

I work in the typical office cube environment. I spend a lot of time listening to podcasts in order to keep my sanity and not listen to all the conversations going on around me.

My financial go-to podcasts are:
Dave Ramsey
Ric Edelman
Stacking Benjamins
Clark Howard
and I just started listening to
Financial Rockstar (Scott Alan Turner)

I like aspects of all of these, even though there are some stark differences of opinion from one to the next.

Do any of you listen to these, or any other financial podcasts that you'd recommend?

adm_m

Re: What do you listen to?

Post by adm_m »

This is not related to Finance in any way, but I just listened to "S Town". Awesome podcast. Again, not financial at all.
Daily Strategy #10716

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

I can't listen to podcasts while I'm working, I have to keep my door open for customers and the like. Plus, I'm in a basement, so I can't get radio reception. If I'm driving in the morning I can usually catch a little bit of Dave Ramsey, but that's not very often.

For background music, I listen to electric guitar instrumentals, mostly by Buckethead. His slower stuff, none of his eclectic weirdness. Of his 250+ albums, Monument Valley, Electric Sea, Echo, and Sparks in the Dark are examples of what I like.
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
Support the site by purchasing a membership at TSPCalc! https://tspcalc.com

RGEN

Post by RGEN »

Seeing how we have gone down this rabbit trail . . . I listen to acoustic guitar.
RGEN

kdfwr310

Post by kdfwr310 »

Not a podcast guy, but listen to Ramsey sometimes on the radio. I believe in some of his philosophies as you shouldn't be investing in retirement while owning a pile of debt. I do have a credit card for business expenses, so I'd get kicked off his team pretty quick lol.

Longstreet

Post by Longstreet »

Clark Howard is the man! Grew up listening to him on WSBTV but didn't realize he had a podcast now. Will definitely be checking that out.

Other notable podcast mentions not necessarily for general consumption:
I'll Tell You What with Dana Perino & Chris Stirewalt
Chapel Bell Curve-a weekly stats based podcast centered around UGA/SEC Football

If not those it's usually James Taylor/Carly Simon/Carole King/acoustic type stuff on Spotify when customers aren't coming through the door.

Timber82

Post by Timber82 »

Podcasts have taken over my life to the point I couldn't tell you any of the top 10 songs on the radio. I listen in my car, at work, and even when going to sleep. I have 3 categories I subscribe to,
Entertainment (typically I follow podcasts that summarize episodes of tv shows I watch, as I am a fan of shows based on comics, these people are far more knowledgeable then I am on the respective comic (I am just a passive fan who hasn't held a comic in over 20 years) and they can piece a lot of the stuff not stated or seen on the shows. Then I have my just downright funny shows. I typically only listen ot these while going to sleep or if wife and I are on a long drive I will play the summary of shows we watch together (house of cards, Walking dead etc.)

Work - I follow podcasts in my respective field (government contracting) to stay on top of things, and even help me learn things I still haven't picked up as I am fairly new in my career field). Then I also follow Federal News Radio to keep up on the goings on around the Fed govt.

Money/Investing, I like to follow shows that are laid back and at times humourous, I have never purchased a stock based on reccomendations on these shows but I do enjoy hearing how and why the support or don't support a stock as well as keeps me current on market events.

Mad Money Jim Cramer (just his nightly show broken into Podcast)
Options Action - CNBC
All Motley Fool Podcasts
Planet Money

Pro tip - with all the shows I am subscribed to I have over 100Hours in queue worth of at any time so I have sped up many of the work and investment shows anywhere form 1.3X to 1.7X the normal speed. Some people are amazed I follow but again I'm not looking for specific detail I just want the broad picture and after a while you get used to it. I actually laugh when I hear a brief pause thinking how long it would be or how boring these people would sound at 1X speed.

hmarkway

Post by hmarkway »

onerepmax wrote:Do any of you listen to these, or any other financial podcasts that you'd recommend?

I don't listen to any of those, but I've heard good things about Stacking Benjamin's and Financial Rockstar.

I listen to many different types of podcasts, but as far as financial (particularly financial independence focused):
    ChooseFI Podcast - I've been stuck on this for the last couple of weeks. Love the JL Collins Stock Series episodes.
    Mad FIentist - He's got great interviews to get you thinking, and he's got a great take on numbers
    Afford Anything - Yet another financial independence based podcast, with more of a bent about making smart choices with your money. Paula answers all kinds of money questions from her audience, and she's a shrewd real estate investor and gives no-nonsense advise on how you can be too. Whatever she's talking about, she breaks it down and shows you how easy it can be.
Current Allocation: 50/50 split F/G Funds, as of 1/3/2018
Strategy: Loosely following Daily Seasonal #16198 until I figure out my 2018 plan when all the main plans start diverging.

cashworth

Post by cashworth »

I'm a sucker for TEDTalks. Its kinda like listening to NPR in the middle of the day, just random 15 minute stories about ideas and stuff that you would usually never google.
I haven't really ventured into the world of financial podcasts (probably will now that I read this thread).

mmmmmbeer

Post by mmmmmbeer »

Mostly 80' & 90's Rock. Some electronica type stuff like enya, enigma, deep forrest.

Folk music from ireland, scottland, scandanavia. Native American music.. some country... some new pop.. grunge.. classical...

Actually.. if I like a song it doesn't matter what genre.

Thanks for asking! :)
Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.

klee

Post by klee »

:lol: I like 80's and early 90's soft and hard rock.

I listen to Dave Ramsey and Ric Edelman.

12squared

Post by 12squared »

Bloomberg radio when I want to learn.
Baroque/Classical when I want to rev up my brain.
Earmuffs when I need to think deeply.
“The genius of investing is recognizing the direction of the trend – not catching the highs or the lows.”
- Dean Witter

"Put all your eggs in one basket and then watch that basket."
- Andrew Carnegie

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

You guys listen to a lot more of financial advice than I do / have time for. I wonder, do any of them talk about seasonal tendencies investing methods based on seasonality at all? Do any of them mention publications such as The Traders Almanac or the like?
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
Support the site by purchasing a membership at TSPCalc! https://tspcalc.com

bigmatt

Post by bigmatt »

When I can I listen to Dave Ramsey. Any time else its all David Allen Coe and Hank Jr. I can't take this pop-country trash anymore.

hmarkway

Post by hmarkway »

Aitrus wrote:You guys listen to a lot more of financial advice than I do / have time for. I wonder, do any of them talk about seasonal tendencies investing methods based on seasonality at all? Do any of them mention publications such as The Traders Almanac or the like?

Mine are mostly all FI podcasts, and in the FI community, set it and forget it index funds (mostly low-fee total stock market index funds i.e. Vanguard's VTSAX) are king. They recommend not messing around with your money, so they don't really ever get into any seasonal investing methods.
Current Allocation: 50/50 split F/G Funds, as of 1/3/2018
Strategy: Loosely following Daily Seasonal #16198 until I figure out my 2018 plan when all the main plans start diverging.

Fund Prices2024-04-24

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.20 0.01% 1.34%
F $18.64 -0.24% -3.04%
C $79.40 0.02% 6.78%
S $78.08 -0.18% 1.28%
I $41.48 -0.10% 3.23%
L2065 $15.84 -0.05% 4.74%
L2060 $15.84 -0.05% 4.75%
L2055 $15.84 -0.05% 4.75%
L2050 $31.79 -0.06% 3.86%
L2045 $14.51 -0.05% 3.68%
L2040 $53.01 -0.05% 3.54%
L2035 $14.01 -0.04% 3.36%
L2030 $46.69 -0.04% 3.21%
L2025 $13.01 -0.02% 2.33%
Linc $25.40 -0.02% 2.00%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".