VATAS Timesheet

For those topics that don't have a place in any of the other forums.

Moderator: Aitrus

Scarfinger

VATAS Timesheet

Post by Scarfinger »

Just curious if anyone is under the VATAS system for Time and Leave request.

If so, does your supervisor approve leave after timecards are posted on payday Friday?

Our current (new) supervisor put out a blanket statement "All leave request after 9am will be denied" on payday Fridays because timesheets are certified at 9am.

My afternoons usually fall apart because a few scheduled patients cancel by 1:00 pm. This makes it almost impossible for me to make the 9am deadline? for time off.

The rub... If all my patients in the afternoon cancel, which happens once in a while, I feel that I should be allowed to take leave and go home.

They do say that emergencies and or illnesses will be handled on a case by case basis. This leads me to believe that they can make changes after 9am timesheet certifications... they just don't want to.

Any thoughts? Any experiences? I am all ears...
I am just an average Joe. I have no clue to what the market will do.
TimboSlice wrote: "People really need to stop overthinking this."
Paul Merriman 2 fund strat: (age - 25) x2.5 = TDF + balance into S fund or variation of

JJbat150

Re: VATAS Timesheet

Post by JJbat150 »

There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to request time @ 1 PM on time card Friday.

As a supervisor in the VA, I do a lot of corrected time card to address that issue, or OT posted on the weekend.

rayodom

Post by rayodom »

Agree. It really depends on you and how far you want push it.

Scarfinger

Post by Scarfinger »

rayodom wrote:Agree. It really depends on you and how far you want push it.
Right... I have already ruffled a few feathers.

According to my VA time/leave policy, approvals/denials are based on staffing and schedules. Nothing in the policy says approval/denials are based on 9am payday Fridays. It also says that they have to put a reason for the denial.

1. I could put in for leave in VATAS, get denied. Then file a a grievance based on the reason for the denial? Or contact a union representative to find out my options.

2. I was also thinking I could put in for a couple hours of "leave" before 9am... then cancel it if all my patients show up.

3. Maybe even worse case I leave and then they try to say I am AWOL. Which technically I would be because they won't authorize it.

I should start with option 1, gain some knowledge and go from there.

Thanks
Paul Merriman 2 fund strat: (age - 25) x2.5 = TDF + balance into S fund or variation of

mhende2

Post by mhende2 »

On your own time, I'd recommend talking with the Union Officials what the current negotiated Union agreement says regarding the issue. If it's not already addressed in the current agreement ask if they can get it addressed with management for an agreement in their next meeting with management. They may not be aware there's a problem brewing.
In investing, what is comfortable is rarely profitable.
-Robert Arnott

TimboSlice

Post by TimboSlice »

What does your Contract (Negotiated Agreement) language say? Management doesn't get to make up new rules as they go. I am a Union Rep at my installation and that wouldn't fly. If there is no language to back that up, I would ask for my Steward. Sounds like it creates more work for your supervisor but oh well that why they get paid the "Big Bucks"

TSP4Soccer

Post by TSP4Soccer »

My organization uses ATAAPS and we have to concur on our leave 3 days before the end of the pay period. If a change or emergency occurs, it is addressed on a case by case basis, but never denied if justified. Your supervisor should be able to make corrections, because pay is not instantaneous for that week. There is time to make a change.

On another note. I imagine you would like to start the weekend early, maybe take care of errands, etc..., but I would recommend you save that leave for the times you may really need it. Use the free time at work to catch up on training or other things in the office needing done (while getting paid). Plan your leave when you really need it and take meaningful time off. Just some advice from a supervisor who has seen people wishing they had saved up some leave. :D

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

I use ATAAPs as well. If I submit my timecard showing that I'm working, but then end up taking the day off to care for a sick kid, then it's no problem to fix. After the pay period closes, my supervisor just un-certifies the timecard, I make my changes and submit my leave, and then we re-submit. The changes are applied along with the next round of timecards.

I agree with TSP4Soccer about leave. I took leave very sparingly my first year in order to build up an "emergency leave fund" if something should go wrong and I need to take 2 or 3 weeks off. Now I have to manage my Use or Lose leave every year. It's good peace of mind.
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
Support the site by purchasing a membership at TSPCalc! https://tspcalc.com

Ella

Post by Ella »

I agree with TSP4. I wouldn't use my leave because there are no patients (or no work). Find something else to do to use up the afternoon hours. Save your leave for when you want to use it.

Scarfinger

Post by Scarfinger »

Ella wrote:I agree with TSP4. I wouldn't use my leave because there are no patients (or no work). Find something else to do to use up the afternoon hours. Save your leave for when you want to use it.
All my education is up to date. Once patient care is done.. there isn't anything else to do.

Yes, I could sit on the internet for 4 hours. But, I feel I should have the option to go home considering the leave policy states that approval/denial is based on staffing/scheduling.

I have 190 hours of leave. I am not a habitual user of leave. I have not called of sick for 7 years.

I just don't like being pin-holed because others may abuse the system. Or it makes someone else's job easier just to deny my request.

It hasn't came to fruition yet... Just trying to get my ducks in a row incase it ever comes up.

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

No need to get all wrapped up over a small issue that may or may not happen. If you have cancellations and don't have work that is productive or needs to be done, I'm not seeing a down side to supervisor approving the leave on case by case basis. How about just talking to your supervisor one on one?

Scarfinger

Post by Scarfinger »

evilanne wrote:No need to get all wrapped up over a small issue that may or may not happen. If you have cancellations and don't have work that is productive or needs to be done, I'm not seeing a down side to supervisor approving the leave on case by case basis. How about just talking to your supervisor one on one?
That is a good option and hopefully that is all it takes.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Fund Prices2024-04-15

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.18 0.04% 1.23%
F $18.64 -0.61% -3.02%
C $79.24 -1.20% 6.56%
S $77.27 -1.66% 0.23%
I $41.14 -0.29% 2.38%
L2065 $15.75 -0.94% 4.19%
L2060 $15.75 -0.94% 4.19%
L2055 $15.76 -0.94% 4.19%
L2050 $31.64 -0.81% 3.38%
L2045 $14.44 -0.76% 3.24%
L2040 $52.80 -0.71% 3.11%
L2035 $13.96 -0.65% 2.96%
L2030 $46.52 -0.59% 2.83%
L2025 $12.97 -0.32% 2.08%
Linc $25.35 -0.25% 1.78%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".