Update On Spam Attacks and TSPCenter's Guidelines

For those topics that don't have a place in any of the other forums.

Moderator: Aitrus

skiehawk11

Update On Spam Attacks and TSPCenter's Guidelines

Post by skiehawk11 »

TSPCenter members,

First off, I want to thank you all for bearing with the issues that have occurred over the past few months due to the few members that have decided to spam and troll other members.

I want to give you all an update and provide further guidance moving forward.

First, a history of events.

A few legitimate accounts (some may still exist) for whatever reason became disgruntled and started abusing the Reputation Points System. This was done by having accounts that had positive rep points provide other legitimate and spam accounts positive points. The accounts started giving negative points to members as a way to troll members. Moderators were finally able to trace the source of the main accounts and banned all accounts related to the IP addresses (many of which were legitimate IP addresses).

However, the disgruntled member(s) decided to put time and effort into trolling. Essentially, there were a few remaining legitimate accounts with positive reputation points that were not banned in the first mass banning. The main spammer(s) decided to utilize proxy and VPN services to create fake accounts on a massive scale. There were a few leftover accounts from legitimate IP addresses that the spammer used to provide positive reputation to the new troll accounts. That's when the second round of trolling occurred.

Moderators responded by doing a mass ban of any linked accounts or IP addresses in hopes of slowing down the troll attacks. This helped somewhat, but the fact remained that the spammer(s) could utilize proxy and/or VPN services to create new accounts. However, they couldn't troll the Reputation Points system since staff effectively shut-down troll accounts that had positive reputation points. All that was left to do for the spammer(s) to do was give neutral points which didn't have the impact the spammer(s) wanted.

A few days ago, the spammer(s) decided to spam threads by posting crude posts in as many threads as possible. TSPCenter moderators identified the proxy and/or VPN services used to make the troll accounts and blocked the entire services from using TSPCenter. Further, TSPCenter will continue adding all proxy and VPN services IPs to TSPCenter's list of banned IP addresses moving forward. This has effectively stopped the spammer(s), but that doesn't mean it's over.

Moving forward there are a few things TSPCenter will be implementing and we continue to ask for patience and assistance reporting posts and/or pms that violate TSPCenter's policy.

TSPCenter will be adding the following changes or guidelines to TSPCenter:

1. The use of proxy and VPN services will be banned from TSPCenter. The IP addresses will be constantly updated so there may be times when a troll account succeeds in utilizing new IP addresses. We ask for patience in this regard.

2. Some legitimate accounts may still be used to spam/troll. Please report these asap. The accounts and IP addresses will be banned which may include legitimate IP addresses. There are many TSPCenter members that have been affected by the ban because one of their co-workers decided to play the role of troll. Unfortunately, these IP addresses (many are legitimate workplaces) will remain blocked.

3. TSPCenter, will be working on implementing new features to include that new accounts need to have x amount of initial posts approved by moderators along with other security features.

4. Please utilize the thread located here to get your account and/or IP address(es) unbanned: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 748#p66748

5. TSPCenter Moderators are also placing our foot down on usernames. Moving forward, usernames shall not have any partisan slant or crude terminology (e.g. - Obamasucks, Trumpsucks, etc). These accounts will be instantly banned and you will be requested to create a new username. This will be applied retroactively.

Moving forward we ask for your patience and continued diligence in helping us ensure that TSPCenter remains an active and safe place for individuals to share their insights, questions, experiences and knowledge.

Aitrus

Re: Update On Spam Attacks and TSPCenter's Guidelines

Post by Aitrus »

I fully support what Skie said.

There is a reason this forum exists, and we need to keep the focus of the forum on that. It does not exist to serve as a playground for others to work out frustrations in a juvenile manner. If you have a problem with either the site or with the moderators or with King himself, then be an adult and say something. Reach out to us either in the forums or via PM. Let's work it out like adults.
Seasonal Musings 2022: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19005
Recommended Reading: http://tspcenter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13474
"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters" Epictetus

MakeMe$$$$

Post by MakeMe$$$$ »

Aint it fun playing "Whack a Mole"?

Hang in there guys...the VAST majority of us know you are doing your best and do this as VOLUNTEERS!
Don
Rolled over to Fidelity 2/24/18.
Fantasy still playing with Daily Strategy 12767.

MakeMe$$$$

Post by MakeMe$$$$ »

Aside from my previous post giving kudos to the mods and regarding some of the policy moves...

I would hope that we can discuss issues without resorting to personal attacks. I'm a proud liberal that hate's most of the current President's methods and policies. You can hate or like my positions as you feel the need but I'm not a bad person. I know Trump supporters that are great people. We either agree to disagree or not talk about it. LOL

I also realize that how we attack political opinions can be seen as a proxy for personal attacks. After all, if you attack what I believe I can easily ASSUME you are attacking me personally...and maybe that is the intent. Still...it is an insecure person that lets written words from a virtual stranger get them all jacked up. I know...it happens and on more than one occasion I've been sucked into being thin skinned.

Sorry if I'm sounding too Pollyanna.
Don
Rolled over to Fidelity 2/24/18.
Fantasy still playing with Daily Strategy 12767.

skiehawk11

Post by skiehawk11 »

MakeMe$$$$ wrote:Aside from my previous post giving kudos to the mods and regarding some of the policy moves...

I would hope that we can discuss issues without resorting to personal attacks. I'm a proud liberal that hate's most of the current President's methods and policies. You can hate or like my positions as you feel the need but I'm not a bad person. I know Trump supporters that are great people. We either agree to disagree or not talk about it. LOL

I also realize that how we attack political opinions can be seen as a proxy for personal attacks. After all, if you attack what I believe I can easily ASSUME you are attacking me personally...and maybe that is the intent. Still...it is an insecure person that lets written words from a virtual stranger get them all jacked up. I know...it happens and on more than one occasion I've been sucked into being thin skinned.

Sorry if I'm sounding too Pollyanna.
Nope, I wish more people would be like Pollyanna. The glad game is a lot better than the sad game. :)

https://youtu.be/1Ihxyf7A1hg

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

Nah. You're good, MM$$$. I try to be more Ben Stein than Ferris Bueller, but I'm not always able to make it happen.

Side note: I want everybody to know who's doing the heavy lifting on this issue. Skie has been doing a ton of legwork and research behind the scenes. I'm just the mall cop that's wandering around the forums trying to keep order during the day. He's the CSI team that's tracking, analyzing, and then finally kicking down the doors at night to deal with the perpetrator.

mindofmush

Post by mindofmush »

Still writing that book, Aitrus?
mo meng, mo ching (which loosely means: no money, no life)

Aitrus

Post by Aitrus »

Final draft is done. Looking for a publisher at the moment.

mindofmush

Post by mindofmush »

Great, put me down for a copy. (Can I get a signed copy?)
mo meng, mo ching (which loosely means: no money, no life)

crondanet5

Post by crondanet5 »

Thanks guys. This has been a tough couple months for the site and the members. You have done an outstanding job correcting it.

hmarkway

Post by hmarkway »

Great job! Thanks guys! My username and IPs were caught up in this mess, and I'm very glad my stuff has been sorted out and I'm back to being able to participate in this great space. I missed TSP discussion fix. For better or worse, I've got my addiction back. We really appreciate all the hard volunteer work that you put into this. Thanks again!
Current Allocation: 50/50 split F/G Funds, as of 1/3/2018
Strategy: Loosely following Daily Seasonal #16198 until I figure out my 2018 plan when all the main plans start diverging.

Raiderdog

Post by Raiderdog »

I just don't understand the mind set of someone who does this. Hang in there guys, you have our support.

evilanne

Post by evilanne »

Thank you for the explanation Skiehawk! You and Aitrus make an awesome team :D We appreciate all your efforts in solving the recent issues.

cswift01

Post by cswift01 »

I will echo what is said before.

A. Thanks for going to such lengths to make this forum work.
B. Thanks for actually going after those jokers. Seriously, it's shocking to me that someone would care this much.
C. Thanks for this:

5. TSPCenter Moderators are also placing our foot down on usernames. Moving forward, usernames shall not have any partisan slant or crude terminology (e.g. - Obamasucks, Trumpsucks, etc). These accounts will be instantly banned and you will be requested to create a new username. This will be applied retroactively.

I found the names so distasteful. I am not of either side (although leaning left), but find the present government policies extremely distasteful. Having said that, I think that there is a place for both parties as they are both equally important in our lives and values as Americans. In fact, it's the conflict between both policies and the ensuing deliberations that are most important for our society and in my view produce the best legislation.

Thanks again,

Me

Fund Prices2024-03-28

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.15 0.05% 1.05%
F $19.08 -0.06% -0.74%
C $82.21 0.11% 10.55%
S $82.43 0.30% 6.92%
I $42.57 -0.24% 5.95%
L2065 $16.38 0.02% 8.37%
L2060 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2055 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2050 $32.73 0.01% 6.95%
L2045 $14.91 0.02% 6.58%
L2040 $54.38 0.02% 6.22%
L2035 $14.34 0.02% 5.79%
L2030 $47.67 0.02% 5.38%
L2025 $13.15 0.03% 3.43%
Linc $25.61 0.03% 2.82%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".