TSP Market Watch - Week of August 15th thru the 21st

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

SgtWs

TSP Market Watch - Week of August 15th thru the 21st

Post by SgtWs »

The mood of the market is turning very bearish with doom and gloom ruling the day. The week was all about the Fed on Wednesday announcing that it would reinvest maturing mortgage-backed securities in government debt so that its balance sheet does not shrink. This was interpreted by investors as a affirmation from the Fed that the situation is deteriorating, scaring the heck out of a fickle market. The indices sold off with force for the rest of the day and continued to slide for the rest of the week.

The range bound theory within a well defined range is our last hope to recoup last weeks losses. The ‘Line in the Sand’:

The S&P 500 made a high for the year on April 26 of 1219, only to fall just two months later to a new low for 2010 of 1011 on July 1st. This week’s poor action pushed the index back into the bottom portion of that range. The game plan for this week is to play a bounce off that bottom half of the range and hopefully make some gains on the way back up to the top half of the range. Last week we had the S&P break below the 200-day and 50-day moving average, creating new lines of resistance, so if the range bound theory falls apart, then a new approach will be warranted. The situation will have to be monitored very closely.

One item of interest last week was the VIX. It seems we are letting the craziness of this market become the new norm. During the barrage of selling last Wednesday the VIX, the market's "fear gauge," barely moved at all in when compared to recent sell offs of equal force and magnitude.

Articles that I found interesting…..there was some really good stuff that I took from Gallup’s site.

Hummmmmm……I think we will start seeing more and more of this……the back lash against government employees………..Are federal workers overpaid? and Freeze Federal Employees Pay

Utah Republican Senator Orrin Hatch has introduced a bill that could slim the government's workforce. The Reduce and Cap Federal Workforce Act would bring down and freeze the number of civilian feds at February of 2009 levels. Agencies would need to make those reductions through attrition. The bill would exempt the Defense and Homeland Security departments and some intelligence agencies. Hatch says the government has become bloated, and his bill would cut it down to size.

Here is a really fascinating read………

The Future of Finance…..The Big Picture

Holy cow……is the WSJ serious! A Crash is coming – 10 reasons to be cautious…from the WSJ

Not-So-Happy Talk at Happy Hour….from Barron’s

Wall Street Whispers: Cheap Money Ain't Working

This shouldn’t be news to anyone………

Prices, Retail Sales Rise, But Consumer Remains Weak………..from The Street

Scanning the Gallop Poll Website there is some good information:

Economy Remains Top Concern as Midterm Elections Draw Nearer

American Approval of Labor Unions remains near record Low

Spending Slumps Even Back to School Shopping……..If our economy is driven by the consumer, then this is not good…….

Gov't. Employment Ranges From 38% in D.C. to 12% in Ohio

U.S. Underemployment Steady at 18.4% in July - Among those aged 18 to 29, 28.4% are underemployed.

Thanks for reading. - Rodney

TSPking
Site Admin

Post by TSPking »

I was surprised to see that government workers make up such a large percentage of overall workforce outside of DC.
TSPking

It's a gift...and a curse ~ Adrian Monk

SgtWs

I think......

Post by SgtWs »

I think we should all just quit our jobs and work for the government....... :)

Pocono13

I rather ........

Post by Pocono13 »

keep my job and collect my salary. You can keep the work thou.

TSPking
Site Admin

Post by TSPking »

This feels weird...I didn't lose money today :lol:
TSPking

It's a gift...and a curse ~ Adrian Monk

SgtWs

I wouldn't dare......

Post by SgtWs »

I can't make comments like that because it would cause the markets to crash!

Fund Prices2024-04-17

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.25%
F $18.68 0.50% -2.85%
C $78.62 -0.58% 5.72%
S $76.27 -0.89% -1.07%
I $40.66 -0.17% 1.19%
L2065 $15.60 -0.47% 3.17%
L2060 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2055 $15.60 -0.47% 3.18%
L2050 $31.39 -0.35% 2.57%
L2045 $14.34 -0.33% 2.47%
L2040 $52.43 -0.31% 2.41%
L2035 $13.87 -0.28% 2.31%
L2030 $46.25 -0.25% 2.24%
L2025 $12.93 -0.12% 1.78%
Linc $25.29 -0.09% 1.55%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".