Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - Is the F Fund forming a bubble?

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

SgtWs

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - Is the F Fund forming a bubble?

Post by SgtWs »

Following five straight sessions of losses for the Dow and very little movement for the major averages on Monday we finally had a win. There is not much on the plate for today. Let’s wait and see what happens. With earning season over for the quarter we can see that year-over-year comparisons were strong, but this was mostly due to cost-cutting measures. The question now becomes whether or not corporate America can continue to grow earnings by cutting cost and laying people off. One concern I know on many minds is the coming month of September. September is historically one of the worse months for stocks.

But today I want to ask the question – Is the F Fund forming a bubble?

I will not deny the strong uptrend in the F Fund.

But last Tuesday, the Fed’s policy setting committee said it would stop shrinking its balance sheet, which was happening automatically as mortgage debt holdings matured. The Fed now will take those principal repayments — about $200 billion a year — and plow them into Treasuries with durations of two years to 10 years. The first purchases began yesterday. Investors full of fear are also plowing in. I get a lot of emails asking me why I am so reluctant to dive into Treasuries when there is a clear and strong uptrend. While I do rely on technicals a lot, I also like to look at the core fundamentals of an investment and weigh both before making a trade. By law, the F Fund must be invested in fixed-income securities like mortgage-backed, U.S. Government, corporate, and foreign government securities. To make a long story short, I think Treasuries are in a bubble. While I do go in and out at times, I just prefer not to play that much, or for that long.

TSP King – I would like to post a poll on this to see what other TSP Center participants think?

This article here describes the bubble building in Treasuries, which usually ends badly…………short, sweet, and to the point. Worth the read.

Next Dot.Com Bubble: Treasurys?
Published: Monday, 16 Aug 2010 | 2:51 PM ET
By: John Melloy, Executive Producer, Fast Money

One bubble was driven by a technological innovation that would change the way businesses and consumers do business and interact. The Internet was and still is a positive force in our lives. It just played perfectly into Wall Street’s tendency to inflate the asset prices of anything associated with the next big thing. But technology, home ownership or tulips are not driving a bubble unfolding right now.

Fear is.

“If one compares the trading alignment of equity returns from 1990 to 2005 and that of 10-year Treasury bonds since 2000, the relationship is startling,” wrote Tobias Levkovich, head of North America equity strategy at Citigroup Global Markets. “It would suggest that the tremendous money flows into bond funds could end with similar losses to that which transpired for equity investors who poured cash excessively into stock funds back in 2000.”

Levkovich found that the first 10 years of the run in the S&P 500 total return index starting in 1990 and the first 10 years of the 10-year Treasury rally starting in 2000 have a correlation of almost 90 percent. “The similarities should cause anxiety especially when one considers the high correlation and what it suggests about plausible future trends for bonds,” wrote the strategist. We all know all too well what happened tech stocks the next five years. The strong correlation hints that 2010 could be 2000 for Treasurys.

Investors pulled $12.4 billion from U.S. equity funds last month, even as stocks rebounded, according to Morningstar. They added $22.3 billion into taxable bond funds, the firm said. The iShares Barclays 20-Plus Treas. Bond Fund (TLT), which tracks the performance of longer-dated government bonds, hit a new 52-week high today.
The Federal Reserve will begin buying more Treasury securities to stimulate the economy on Tuesday, keeping a bid under the securities. However, outside of the Federal Reserve and the risk adverse retail investor, Treasurys may be slowly losing backers on concerns about mounting deficits.

Pimco, the world’s largest bond manager, cut its holdings of government-related debt to 54 percent of assets in July from 63 percent a month earlier. Furthermore, the latest government data shows that China’s holdings of U.S. Treasury securities fell by another $24 billion in June. This follows a $32.5 billion drop in July and brings China’s total holdings to $843.7 billion.

Holy Cow! Another………

Don't Touch 10, 30 Year US Bonds: Marc Faber

Investors should stay clear of 10 and 30-year U.S. government bonds, warns Marc Faber, editor & publisher of The Gloom, Boom & Doom Report, following the Treasury Department's report that China's ownership of American debt has fallen to its lowest level in a year.

"I think eventually inflation will accelerate," he said. "Whenever food prices go up, and grains have been very strong recently, with the sum delay, you get inflationary pressures."

10-year treasury yeilds fell to 2.570%, the weakest level since March 2009. While, the 30-year bond's yield reached 2.719%, the lowest level in 16 months.
Faber cited a weakening U.S. dollar as a second reason to decrease holdings in the country's debt.

"(The) U.S. dollar will weaken, that's the policy of the U.S. government to weaken the dollar in order to cushion the downturn in the American economy."

Looking Beyond the Asian Titans
"I'm not so keen on Chinese companies...I'm not a great investor in China," Faber said. However, he recommends investing in companies that do business with China, or currencies that benefit from China's growth.

Faber is bullish on India though, believing investors building a portfolio "must" park some of their money in the south Asian economy.

"If I look at the long-term potential....there is an emerging middle class and capitalism has now been truly endorsed by everybody," he said, adding that India also has some "very well run" companies.

In addition to the Asian titans, Faber says Myanmar, Cambodia and Mongolia offer "a lot of potential".

"Mongolia has the potential to be the Saudi Arabia of Asia because they only have 2.5 million people. It is a huge land mass and very resource rich." "They have in the Gobi dessert, copper, gold, coal and much more would be found in future."

The new democracy is attracting investments from international mining firms as a result of its untapped resource reserves and close proximity to China.

© 2010 CNBC, Inc. All Rights Reserved

So what is my solution?

In an attempt to answer several emails and post something relevant today I decided to cover this. Most participants on TSP Center have their own methods and mechanism that helps them decide when to get in and out of the market. BUT there are many readers who are new and want to know how they can make a ‘buy’ or ‘sell’ decision own their own. While not always accurate, I think a good place for a newbie to begin would be by utilizing two moving averages for signaling this process, and would probably be an excellent indicator to use on the F Fund for when the trend is breaking (AGG).

If you look at the chart I posted above of the F Fund you will see I am utilizing the 20, 50, and 200 day moving averages. If you got to www.stockcharts.com – click on “Free Charts” section, you can create your own ‘buy’ or ‘sell’ indicator by changing your variations on these. For the current trend in the F Fund I think you could replace the default moving averages with, oh for example sake, a 10 day and 20 day simple moving average (or whatever works for you). Once you do this you can monitor daily. Once you see the 10 day cross below the 20 day it would alert you to weakness and sell.

Thoughts?

Now this would probably work on the current trend for the F Fund, but the C, S and I funds are a little more complicated. We are trending in a channel sideways, and you would get whip sawed out repeatedly, racking up quite few losses.

UwshUwerME

Post by UwshUwerME »

I'm done with the F Fund for a while. I collected a couple percent off the fund this year. Seems too high for me.

Evolution

I Agree

Post by Evolution »

We are about to see the F Fund collapse, it may jump up to double digits on the year before crashing. This could be good for equities.

SgtWs

Quite today, but look at tomorrow's line up......

Post by SgtWs »

Earnings:

Before the bell - Dick’s Sporting Goods, Dollar Tree, Flower Foods, Gamestop, Lancaster Colony Corp., Ross Stores, Sears Holdings (not confirmed), Staples ;

After the bell - Salesforce.com, Dell, Gap, Hewlett-Packard, Intuit, Marvell

Other: Initial Claims, Continuing Claims, Leading Indicators, Philadelphia Fed Survey, EIA Natural Gas Report, 2-Yr Note Announcement, 5-Yr Note Announcement, 7-Yr Note Announcement, Fed Balance Sheet, Money Supply, James Bullard Speaks at 11:30 am EST, Charles Evans speaks at 1:00 pm EST

SgtWs

Another red flag..........

Post by SgtWs »

What will the Gov’t do now?/Irish bonds in demand
Taken from the Business Insider - Posted: 17 Aug 2010 05:26 AM PDT

The news of the day for policy makers, politicians and the financial standing of the US will be on full display today as more than 3 years after the subprime mortgage market started to implode, a debate about the future of our socialized housing finance system finally takes place. In terms of speculation of a pre Nov election surprise/gift from FNM and FRE to those borrowers who are under water, nothing is expected. Ireland had two solid bond auctions selling 3 1/2 yr and 10 yr debt, sending their yields and CDS lower. Spain also had a good auction too and the safety grab of German bunds and US Treasuries are reversing a touch. Shrugged off was the weaker than expected German ZEW # (expectations of future growth within 6 mo’s) because the current conditions component was almost twice as high as expected at the highest since Jan ‘08. The Shanghai index closed up to just shy of the highest since May.

jeffvan1

Post by jeffvan1 »

re: We are about to see the F Fund collapse, it may jump up to double digits on the year before crashing.

It depends. The Treasury and Fed Reserve can play the check kiting scheme for a long time. It can't go on forever because the grift requires an infinite number of fools. And while there is a vast amount of fools in the world, the number is not infinite.

SgtWs

Agreed........

Post by SgtWs »

True.......the housing bubble went on for several years after it formed..........and look at our bubble in the 90s.......

jeffvan1

Post by jeffvan1 »

China was a net seller of U.S. treasury bonds in June, for the second straight month. China’s holdings declined by $24 billion to $843 billion, after declining $32 billion in May. In short, they don't want to finance the U.S. gov't drunk with debt orgy.

Gold has finished consolidating and is flashing a buy signal again. I'll continue to accumulate.

Fund Prices2024-04-16

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.24%
F $18.58 -0.32% -3.33%
C $79.08 -0.21% 6.34%
S $76.95 -0.41% -0.18%
I $40.73 -0.98% 1.37%
L2065 $15.67 -0.50% 3.66%
L2060 $15.67 -0.50% 3.67%
L2055 $15.68 -0.50% 3.67%
L2050 $31.50 -0.44% 2.93%
L2045 $14.38 -0.41% 2.81%
L2040 $52.59 -0.38% 2.72%
L2035 $13.91 -0.35% 2.60%
L2030 $46.37 -0.32% 2.50%
L2025 $12.95 -0.18% 1.90%
Linc $25.31 -0.14% 1.64%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".