Wednesday, September 8, 2010

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

SgtWs

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Post by SgtWs »

I think when you spread the wealth around it’s good for everybody.
– Barack Obama’s Comments to Joe “the Plumber” Wurzelbacher, 2008

I don’t have a direct link, but the below postings are market commentary related to the S&P 500 (C Fund) produced by www.stockcharts.com weekly emails that I receive. I guess there are more than 100 different ways to read a chart. Notice how they vary in their opinions of what lays ahead for the markets…………….

John Murphy – The Market Message

IS A HEAD AND SHOULDERS BOTTOM FORMING IN STOCK?

Today's message is going to represent a shift in emphasis in favor of stocks. As you know, I've been writing since the spring about the huge move into bonds and out of stocks owing to fears of economic slowdown and deflation. I've also written in the past (June 17 to be exact), however, that a four-year cycle bottom is due sometime during the second half of this year. Although that four-year bottom usually kicks in during October, the last one (2006) took place during July and August (so it can happen earlier). It's also well known that September and October can be especially dangerous months. Having said that, one of the main reasons why I'm now leaning toward the view that this year's four-year bottom may occur sooner is the presence of so many potential "head and shoulder" patterns that are visible on stock charts. The S&P 500 is an excellent example of one. First a review of what a "head and shoulders" bottom looks like. It consists of three prominent lows (see circles) with the middle low (the head) slightly lower that the two surrounding lows (shoulders). Another feature of the H&S is that the right shoulder (the August low) often finds support at the same level as the left shoulder (May/June low). Another feature is a "neckline" drawn over the two previous highs (formed during June and August). Chart 1 is almost a textbook example of what that bottoming formation looks like. To actually complete a H&S bottom, however, prices need to close above the neckline. That's along ways off. However, it's not soon to consider the possibility that the market may be heading in that direction. Yesterday's explosive rally has already given a short-term buy signal. That can be seen in the point & figure boxes in Chart 2. By combining that possibility that a H&S shoulder is forming with the likelihood for a four-year cycle bottom during the second half of this year, I don't think it's too soon to start reallocating some funds out of bonds (or cash) and back into stocks.

Richard Rhodes – The Rhodes Report

WILL EARLY SEPTEMBER RALLY HAVE STAYING POWER?

The summer is coming to an end for all practical purposes, with many traders returning from their vacations to a budding sharp rally. This presents an interesting situation for traders, for the historically weakest period lies directly ahead - the September/October time frame. Hence, the question is whether last week's rally was counter-trend in nature, or whether it represents a "thrust higher" of another sustained rally towards higher highs. In our opinion, it is too early to determine - but there several critical levels that will provide additional confidence in one viewpoint or the other.

Last week's S&P 500 rally was strong in terms of price and breadth, but not volume. This remains the hallmark of all rallies off the Mach-09 lows. But our main focus is upon the developing bearish consolidation after the sharp April-to-July decline. This ongoing consolidation is now approaching major overhead resistance at the 140-day moving average, which has proven its merit as resistance to the previous two rallies. In each case, this has led to a decline into major support at 1000-to-1038 zone.

Hence, if one is bearish such as we are at this point - the risk-reward dynamic is favorable for selling short the market upon a move upwards of 1116. One's stop loss point would be a breakout above the previous recent high at 1132, at which point it would be rather clear a larger and more powerful will have begun.

Thomas J. Bowley – Invested Central

FOUR KEYS TO A CONTINUING RALLY

Semiconductors. Financials. Small Caps. 10 Year Treasury Yields.

Take a look at the following chart as the relative performance of each of the above is plotted against the S&P 500:

These are four of the biggest reasons why the market hasn't been able to sustain a move to the upside since April. Until relative leadership returns (and stays for more than just a few days), the market is destined to waffle or head lower.

Semiconductors have been dreadful. Talk about a lagging group since April! The S&P 500 is 3% away from a significant breakout above its June high. Semiconductors, on the other hand, are currently situated 15% below their June high! That is NOT what uptrends are made of. Semiconductors rallied this past week, outperforming the S&P 500 in the process. That's a great start. But before you get too excited, please realize that significant price resistance is dead ahead. In fact, we've included the SOX as our Chart of the Day for Tuesday, September 7th.

Financials are key to nearly every uptrend in the overall market. In April, I discussed the lack of follow through within the financial space and that turned out to be a significant red flag as the market topped. In early August, as the S&P 500 continued testing its 1131 price resistance, the Dow Jones US Financial Index failed to clear 271 resistance. Once again, it proved to be a warning sign as the S&P 500 dropped nearly 10% over two weeks. 240-271 is a very significant trading range on financials. Whichever way we break in financials is likely to have a major impact on overall market direction.

The Russell 2000 may hold the very first test for the bulls on Tuesday. Check out this chart:

The downtrend line off the April highs and the short-term price resistance both intersect almost exactly on Friday's close. Early bullishness next week in small caps could bode well for the overall market. Those who are in the intermediate-term bearish camp (including Invested Central) could consider trading the juiced ultrashort ETF (TWM), considering the strong reward to risk. If the Russell 2000 moves much higher, you could exit with minimal loss. However, if the Russell 2000 has found another intermediate-term high, a juiced short at this level would perform extremely well.

The selloff in bonds, and the resulting spike in bond yields, surely played a big part in equities rising last week. In fact, the yield on the 10 year treasury hit MAJOR support in the prior week and was one of the reasons I felt we'd see a rally last week. It didn't change the bigger picture, but definitely suggested the bulls had wrestled short-term control and could advance further in the near-term. I alluded to that in my comments last Sunday evening.

Below is the chart on the 10 year treasury yield and the key support level just tested:

It appears as though the yield could rise to the 2.88% area to test broken support. So long as the yield rises, equity prices should remain stable to higher. If the yield begins falling again, all bets are off.

Happy trading!

From the Big Picture……….an F Fund WARNING – I’ve mentioned several times here my belief of the F Fund bubble………..

Government-Bond Yield Gap Posted

By Barry Ritholtz On September 7, 2010

Dhaval Joshi is clearly in the deflation camp. Bloomberg’s Chart of the Day references his recent RAB Capital sovereign debt commentary as suggesting bond yields are set to “massively collapse.”
Here’s an excerpt: “Yields on U.S. and U.K. government bonds have room to “decline massively” if history is a guide, according to Dhaval Joshi, chief strategist at RAB Capital Plc.

The CHART OF THE DAY displays the differential between yields on 20-year debt and benchmark interest rates in the two countries, according to data compiled by the Federal Reserve and Bloomberg. Joshi made similar comparisons in a Sept. 3 report.

“Interest rates cannot go up meaningfully for a very long time” in either country, the report said. U.S. Treasury yields have yet to fall far enough relative to the Fed’s target rate for loans between banks to reflect this prospect, he wrote. The same holds true for yields on U.K. gilts by comparison with the Bank of England’s base rate, in his view.”
I haven’t gone that far — but I suspect the fear trade into bonds will end badly .

And last but not least……..

September 7th Blogger Sentiment Poll

The bloggers are bullish after the long weekend.

The Ticker Sense Blogger Sentiment Poll is a survey of the web's most prominent investment bloggers, asking "What is your outlook on the S&P 500 for the next 30 days?" Conducted on a weekly basis, the poll is sent to participants each Thursday, and the results are released on Ticker Sense each Monday. The goal of this poll is to gain a consensus view on the market from the top investment bloggers -- a community that continues to grow as a valued source of investment insight. © Copyright 2009 Ticker Sense Blogger Sentiment Poll

Thanks for reading! – Rodney

Fund Prices2024-03-27

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.14 0.01% 1.00%
F $19.09 0.26% -0.68%
C $82.11 0.87% 10.42%
S $82.19 1.48% 6.61%
I $42.68 0.56% 6.21%
L2065 $16.38 0.84% 8.36%
L2060 $16.38 0.84% 8.36%
L2055 $16.39 0.84% 8.36%
L2050 $32.73 0.71% 6.94%
L2045 $14.91 0.67% 6.56%
L2040 $54.37 0.63% 6.20%
L2035 $14.34 0.58% 5.77%
L2030 $47.66 0.53% 5.35%
L2025 $13.14 0.31% 3.40%
Linc $25.60 0.24% 2.79%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".