Good bye and Good Luck to all.

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

JayJ

Good bye and Good Luck to all.

Post by JayJ »

I retired in December and have now moved my entire TSP balance to my existing traditional IRA at TD Ameritrade. I have left the TSP and its limited funds and trading restirctions behind. The best thing about the TSP is the matching contributions.

I appreciate all the help and commentary over the years from the members of this web site. Good luck and God bless you all, friends.

Jay Jackson

chief04010

Re: Good bye and Good Luck to all.

Post by chief04010 »

Good bye and good luck to you as well, just one question though. Could you offer any insight as to why you chose TD Ameritrade for those of us that will follow you into retirement in the next 5 years (4 years 10 months and 10 days but who's counting?)
"scientia potentia est"

skiehawk11

Post by skiehawk11 »

Congratulations on your retirement!

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

May God be with you and bless you:
May you see your children's children.
May you be poor in misfortune,
Rich in blessings.
May you know nothing but happiness
From this day forward.

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the warm rays of sun fall upon your home
And may the hand of a friend always be near.

May green be the grass you walk on,
May blue be the skies above you,
May pure be the joys that surround you,
May true be the hearts that love you.

crondanet5

Post by crondanet5 »

Always enjoyed your postsJayJ. One suggestion: You might monitor this site to follow sig or whoever else is on the way up or leading to help you place trades in TSP-like index funds. sig's incredible doubling his balance in 4 years is something to continue watching.

Epeacock

Post by Epeacock »

So what if any trade restrictions does TD Ameritrade have. Asking because USAA's mutual fund trade restrictions are worse than the TSP.

crondanet5

Post by crondanet5 »

There was a time a USAA representative urged me to invest more in their mutual funds. Pleased I was to share with him my tabulated weekly ending share prices of their funds for over 4 years running. Seems their share prices were worth a lot more 4 years ago than they were today, and the performance was very conservative. They got off the phone quickly thereafter, but not before urging me to buy an annuity. Now there is a company that knows what it means to serve, but whom?

chief04010

Post by chief04010 »

Thanks for the feedback on USAA, I was considering opening a Brokerage Account with them now I'll reconsider. Anyone else that has had good or bad experiences with companies that offer online brokerage accounts feel free to chime in.
"scientia potentia est"

sickpuppy

Post by sickpuppy »

Best of luck on your next chapter in life. May your returns be bountiful.

FNG

Post by FNG »

jay, are you under 59 1/2? I'm curious because I too have a TDAmeritrade acount just for stocks & not an IRA. I'm retiring in 3 years & I'll be 56. I'd like to know if once officially retired, you can start to withdraw from your 401K or do you have to wait until 59 1/2 without paying additional penalities.

Also, I think it was already asked, but what are the fee's associated with moving & and trading in & out of a major index like the Nasdaq or Russel 2000 using your IRA?

Thanks & congradulations on your retirement.

eparsox

Post by eparsox »

Good Luck

One question- doesn't the TSP have the lowest Expense ratio around. If so, would it not make sense to keep some funds with the TSP?

SSGD

Post by SSGD »

I hope your service and your returns were profitable.

JayJ

Post by JayJ »

chief04010 wrote:Good bye and good luck to you as well, just one question though. Could you offer any insight as to why you chose TD Ameritrade for those of us that will follow you into retirement in the next 5 years (4 years 10 months and 10 days but who's counting?)

It is personal preference. Over the years I have had accounts with several brokerage firms, the ones I remember are Quick & Reilly, Charles "Chuck" Scwaub, Legg Mason Wood Walker, RCB, Ferris Baker Watts, Scottrade (still have one account with them), Waterhouse (which became TDWaterhouse which became TD Ameritrade). IMO TDA's trading platform is superior to the rest in providing me the information I need for managing my accounts and my style of investing. I'm not a day trader. There are features that I don't use (margin, streaming quotes, sink or swim, etc.). I find that TDA's self-research section is better than the others. TDA's commission on stocks and ETFs is $11 for any amount of shares (Scottrade is lower at $8). I don't need or want financial advice from broker and TDA doesn't provide it. (I get that from you guys at TSPCenter haha!)

Good luck Chief! Retirement is great but I have been so busy catching up on things I have put off for three decades. By the end of the year, things should be in order and I will be able to goof off more.

JayJ

Post by JayJ »

Thank you so much!

skiehawk11 wrote:Congratulations on your retirement!

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

May God be with you and bless you:
May you see your children's children.
May you be poor in misfortune,
Rich in blessings.
May you know nothing but happiness
From this day forward.

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the warm rays of sun fall upon your home
And may the hand of a friend always be near.

May green be the grass you walk on,
May blue be the skies above you,
May pure be the joys that surround you,
May true be the hearts that love you.

JayJ

Post by JayJ »

Thank you for your insight over the years. I may be "lurking" here out of habit for a while.

crondanet5 wrote:Always enjoyed your postsJayJ. One suggestion: You might monitor this site to follow sig or whoever else is on the way up or leading to help you place trades in TSP-like index funds. sig's incredible doubling his balance in 4 years is something to continue watching.

JayJ

Post by JayJ »

Thank you for your kind words.

sickpuppy wrote:Best of luck on your next chapter in life. May your returns be bountiful.

Fund Prices2024-04-18

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.27%
F $18.62 -0.30% -3.14%
C $78.45 -0.21% 5.50%
S $76.12 -0.20% -1.27%
I $40.67 0.02% 1.21%
L2065 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2060 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2055 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2050 $31.35 -0.13% 2.44%
L2045 $14.32 -0.12% 2.35%
L2040 $52.37 -0.11% 2.29%
L2035 $13.85 -0.10% 2.21%
L2030 $46.21 -0.09% 2.15%
L2025 $12.93 -0.05% 1.72%
Linc $25.28 -0.04% 1.51%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".