elio motors

Other Investments

Moderator: Aitrus

foursides

elio motors

Post by foursides »

Hi all, TSPcenter is about the only dealings I have with the market as a whole. If it wasnt for you guys I would have no idea what a STO is. Even in the tsp I generally sit in the kiddie pool (G fund) and watch the waves without dipping my toes in.

I have been watching this company since fall 2014 I guess, their trials and tribulations trying to bring a new auto to market. They recently took advantage of a new bill passed for startups getting funding via SEC offerings.. A+ or JOBS or somesuch.

www.eliomotors.com/equity

Any savy investors out there can offer any insight, advice, etc?

-Foursides

crondanet5

Re: elio motors

Post by crondanet5 »

I couldn't tell what kind of power plant this motorcycle was going to use.

Another thing that bothers me is where do you put the groceries and the baby ?

And would it cost as much in automobile insurance for this enclosed motorcycle as it does for a SMART car or Fiat in comparison to a Toyota or Nissan?

As with any newly introduced automobile I believe there will be a replacement parts issue and a lack of dealer network in the country to support widespread utilization of this vehicle.

I think I'd wait and see how things start out and maybe consider buying stock in an IPOI if the operation actually gets up and running. It reminds me of the "gold talkers" a few months ago pouring money into gold they were certain was rising to $2,000 an ounce. Now their investment value has been cut in half and a lackluster market to sell their holdings in.

Good luck with your decision.

foursides

Post by foursides »

Oh its using a specially designed 3 cylinder engine made by IAW,
no baby, its a commuter, but you can fit a set of golf clubs with the back seat down,
nobody knows but they guess is should insure closer to a motorcycle than a car,
they are using off the shelf parts as much as possible (drivetrain aside) and they are using pep-boys for a service center.

Lack of dealer network, I've got nothing for you. They were talking about loading each one up on a flatbed and delivering it to your house for a while but I think that idea went out the window.

Anyway thanks kindly for your insights crodanet, gives me something to think about.
-foursides

crondanet5

Post by crondanet5 »

Do you recall the challenges Tesla had with states requiring dealerships in that state in order too sell the car there? Same could happen here.

Now let's say you hit a pothole and the front suspension collapses. Who repairs it? How long for parts to arrive?

And what about exterior body parts for crashed vehicles? Are they bolted on or do you have to replace the whole shell if something cracks or dents for whatever reason?

Okay we've hit the high points of owner woes, now let's talk investment quality. As many will tell you on this site I don't like to hold a stock for long-- preferably ten minutes or less with a profit in the book. How long do you think you would have to stay in this investment before you could sell it with a profit? Investing seed money is like throwing horseshoes. I don't know about you, but I miss quite a bit. The same is true of seed money investors. Some investments win, some lose. Some give quick returns, others, like manned space travel, take a while. What is your time horizon? Is the money you are considering above actual cash in your present investments that have at least a $500,000 balance? (We are talking retirement preparations here are we not? Do not lose sight of that primary goal. The years go by so fast and you either have the money to financially retire comfortably or you lose. Don't be a loser here.

If you do decide to invest in this highly exaggerated (IMHO) potential profit venture I would suggest you do it the way a new homeowner invests in a new housing tract. Be one of the first in, sell with three houses left to build. That way you bought low and as prices rise you reap your profit. And you get out before there is a mass exodus.

I suggest you try buying some Ford or GM stock first. Watch how the shares rise and fall in value and how these movements are explained. If you can make money in them there is a slim chance you can make money in this venture. As for me I want a vehicle that seats 4 comfortably, packs weekend suitcases, has great environmental control systems and is fun to drive at 70 mph. How about you?

Surfcat

Post by Surfcat »

Relevant

Post by Relevant »

Polaris already has something similar - more expensive; sit side by side, open air, very cool.
http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot

Most states classify 3 wheelers as motorcycles - some states reconsidering but plan on needing a motorcycle license.

Does the Elio have heat and A/C? If not it will have limited appeal in the hot states in the summer and cold states in the winter.

I agree with Cron - wait for an IPO if one ever materializes.

foursides

Post by foursides »

Thanks all.
-foursides

dougzilla

Post by dougzilla »

I have to chime in, I actually sat in one at Barrett Jackson Arizona. My first impression I want one. Almost put my c note down. It was comfortable, very affordable looked like the next best thing than I remembered Sedge Way Hype. Personally if I had the pesos Tesla.

heckrules

Post by heckrules »

No offense...but nobody wants a car that looks like a glorified golf cart.......this looks like a company that will circle the drain in a few years after wasting millions in donor & taxpayer funds....

skiehawk11

Post by skiehawk11 »

I've already decided that my retirement car will likely be a Tesla of some sort. It'll make me feel better since everything else in my garage will be a gas guzzler. :)

docrings

Post by docrings »

Reminds me of Zap car company (symbol: ZAAP) and Aptera Motors: both startup car companies that were money sumps, sucking speculative dollars out of the pockets of the foolish.

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/well-didnt ... eled-cars/
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]

RGEN

Post by RGEN »

My retirement car is going to be a Dodge Ram Hemi with 4 wheel drive. A three wheeled "car" is nuts. Keep your money available for other things like buy low and sell high. The oil industry may soon be a good candidate.
RGEN

Fund Prices2024-03-27

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.14 0.01% 1.00%
F $19.09 0.26% -0.68%
C $82.11 0.87% 10.42%
S $82.19 1.48% 6.61%
I $42.68 0.56% 6.21%
L2065 $16.38 0.84% 8.36%
L2060 $16.38 0.84% 8.36%
L2055 $16.39 0.84% 8.36%
L2050 $32.73 0.71% 6.94%
L2045 $14.91 0.67% 6.56%
L2040 $54.37 0.63% 6.20%
L2035 $14.34 0.58% 5.77%
L2030 $47.66 0.53% 5.35%
L2025 $13.14 0.31% 3.40%
Linc $25.60 0.24% 2.79%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".