MOVING BACK TO C, S OR I FUND MARKET Overpriced???

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

BYK777

MOVING BACK TO C, S OR I FUND MARKET Overpriced???

Post by BYK777 »

Most of the strategies moving back to S C I fund tomorrow. Any concerns? market have a nice rally up and is overpriced in my opinion. Any concerns at this level or are you sticking with the plan?

mmmmmbeer

Re: MOVING BACK TO C, S OR I FUND MARKET Overpriced

Post by mmmmmbeer »

The alternative is to hide in the G.. meh.. not for me.

All last year every day was a record setting day.. so every time we bought into something it was close to the highest ever.. oh well.. we're just trying to inch out a percent or two and on to the next!
Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.

Octjan2

Re: MOVING BACK TO C, S OR I FUND MARKET Overpriced???

Post by Octjan2 »

It can never be easy can it? It is almost as though the market has a singular goal of tricking the investor into losing money. With the market being up almost 5% in 3 weeks, common sense tells you it is due for a breather. But if you stay out waiting for the common sense 2-3% drop you will probably miss out on the next 5% in gains. That is the beautiful thing about using a strategy to avoid playing mind games with the market. It doesn’t mean it is an easy decision though. I don’t feel good about it but sticking to the plan.

SnareMV17

Post by SnareMV17 »

@Octjan12: Ditto!

This is a tough start to the year, but we all knew we were going to lose some money some time. Even the strategies that largely exclude the F fund were in the F fund to start this year. This was almost no avoiding it.
"Get your money for nothin', and your chicks for free."

Following TSPCalc strategy #64902.

bamafamily

Post by bamafamily »

I am still electing to be "guided" by 24015....and not go 100%
Since the S Fund has been pretty hot lately, I hedged a bit with LI (30%)
Will I get the full impact of the S Fund should it keep skyrocketing?? No
Will I sleep a little better at night with a small hedge??? Yuppers...

I also moved my contribution allocation from 100%G to 100%LI.....
Bama

zobtraffic

Post by zobtraffic »

I say this with peace and love, peace and love. The markets don't really care about your opinion or mine. They are at record highs and they are their for a reason. Don't question the trend or try and stand in front of it.

alligatorm

Post by alligatorm »

zobtraffic wrote:I say this with peace and love, peace and love. The markets don't really care about your opinion or mine. They are at record highs and they are their for a reason. Don't question the trend or try and stand in front of it.
WELL SAID zobtraffic !

I'm with ya - don't fight the trend....

I still can't figure out all those folks who were hanging tight in the F earlier in the month saying that the "end is near" and "the bottom is ready to fall out", but then when the Daily Seasonal says to move back into the S fund yesterday and today, they line up by the masses on the Pending Allocation Change list to make the change......if that crash was coming a few days ago, what made it go away today?

I don't get it - but then again, as long as there are folks sitting on the sidelines that eventually start buying back in, we can ride this trend for a while longer and pocket some nice coin along the way - so I ain't complaining...
Have a good weekend everyone !

TSPNerd

Post by TSPNerd »

alligatorm wrote:I still can't figure out all those folks who were hanging tight in the F earlier in the month saying that the "end is near" and "the bottom is ready to fall out", but then when the Daily Seasonal says to move back into the S fund yesterday and today, they line up by the masses on the Pending Allocation Change list to make the change......if that crash was coming a few days ago, what made it go away today?
I'd think that everyone was in the F Fund because January is typically not a good month for stocks. Whether the end is near or not, we'll know when it happens...Not a second sooner. If you ever want to retire, you eventually have to take a chance with your $$.

sarvbill

Post by sarvbill »

I'm following 20241 with the exception of using L-Income vs G or F fund. Having said that, I couldn't bring myself to get out of the L-Income today for the S-Fund with the shut down looming. If all is resolved either to night or this weekend, then I will IFT on Monday. I believe in following a/the plan - just not blindly.

mmmmmbeer

Post by mmmmmbeer »

Stay on target
Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.

ArrieS

Post by ArrieS »

sarvbill wrote:I'm following 20241 with the exception of using L-Income vs G or F fund. Having said that, I couldn't bring myself to get out of the L-Income today for the S-Fund with the shut down looming. If all is resolved either to night or this weekend, then I will IFT on Monday. I believe in following a/the plan - just not blindly.
So say the shutdown occurs and the market spasms and drops... What then? Will you stay out until the Government reopens? Chances are it will rebound faster than you can get back in and enjoy it.

We have such a hard limitation on our accounts we can't really trade news in our TSP accounts.
OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

mindofmush

Post by mindofmush »

TSPNerd wrote:I'd think that everyone was in the F Fund because January is typically not a good month for stocks. Whether the end is near or not, we'll know when it happens...Not a second sooner. If you ever want to retire, you eventually have to take a chance with your $$.
Will you take a chance with your $$ after you retire?

Mattch45 says you'll need more than a million, more like a billion and I think he's right if you stop investing when you retire.
mo meng, mo ching (which loosely means: no money, no life)

Fund Prices2024-04-15

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.18 0.04% 1.23%
F $18.64 -0.61% -3.02%
C $79.24 -1.20% 6.56%
S $77.27 -1.66% 0.23%
I $41.14 -0.29% 2.38%
L2065 $15.75 -0.94% 4.19%
L2060 $15.75 -0.94% 4.19%
L2055 $15.76 -0.94% 4.19%
L2050 $31.64 -0.81% 3.38%
L2045 $14.44 -0.76% 3.24%
L2040 $52.80 -0.71% 3.11%
L2035 $13.96 -0.65% 2.96%
L2030 $46.52 -0.59% 2.83%
L2025 $12.97 -0.32% 2.08%
Linc $25.35 -0.25% 1.78%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".