March 20, 2011 - Cumberland Going Long Again

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

Jahbulon

March 20, 2011 - Cumberland Going Long Again

Post by Jahbulon »

Well, the U.S. is at it again, attacking Libya with the goal of achieving exactly what I am not sure. Will we apply the same standard to Russia when problems arise and its military crushes the rebels? And in China? Most certainly not.

But look it, Cumberland is going long the market again.............

Cumberland Advisors

2 N. Tamiami Trail, Suite 303, Sarasota, FL 34236

614 Landis Avenue, Vineland, NJ 08360-8007
1-800-257-7013 http://www.cumber.com

Markets, MENA & Metternich
March 19, 2011

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”
Peter McIntyre

“Only the unknown frightens men. But once a man has faced the unknown, that terror becomes the known.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Markets cringe at uncertainty. It is the xenophobic-like, fear of the unknown-like response that triggers waterfall selling and massive volatility. We saw it demonstrated hugely with the Lehman-AIG five-week aftermath. We saw it recently in a milder version following the Egypt-Libya-Japan-Nuke-G7-No-fly sequence.

Markets can handle bad news. And, of course, good news. In either case, they can quickly adjust the discounting mechanism to reflect the outcomes expected. The inability to estimate the outcomes creates the uncertainty.

We can now estimate a range of outcomes. Therefore, we are back to a fully invested position since we believe the trend of the US stock market will resume its upward bias. We have had (finally) the 7%-to-10% interim correction that is normal in an ongoing bull market. Events and an uncertainty spike triggered it.

Now those situations are become more predictable. For Japan, there is a massive task ahead. This nation will respond to it with robust and determined effort. And the critical financing issue has been addressed by the G7 so that wild swings in the yen will be dampened. Over time, Japan will engage in another series of quantitative easing. They have had lots of practice. A time will come when Japan may be taken to overweight. We are not there yet.

In Libya, the No-fly, no threat zone is already being enforced. Markets have discounted the Libya impact on oil. They are now discounting a diminished or removed Qadhafi. The UN coalition led by France, UK and others cannot allow any other outcome. And Qadhafi no longer carries the biggest stick.

In the Persian Gulf, we are witnessing suppression and ruthless response. It results in human loss of life. It removes the fledging lust for freedom evidenced by the youth. Suppression is victorious because the power is with the army and bullets.

The response to the demonstrations has morphed from some degree of permissiveness to gunfire and tear gas. The pro-democracy instinct of Americans does not like to see this. Our hearts want peaceful but freedom-like outcomes. That is a pretty picture. But it cannot be the result of an imbalanced status.

In the reality check currently underway, the seats of power (Sultans-Kings-Sheiks-or their sons) do not easily yield that power to kids with stones and Facebook. The king must either be outgunned (Libya) or he wins and the kids are punished harshly. In Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and elsewhere in MENA we are witnessing an outcome that is a blend of policy discussed in two classics. For details, see Metternich and what is called “Realpolitik.” For profiles of the victors in MENA, visit Machiavelli’s “The Prince.” In MENA, bullets triumph over ballots.

Okay, freedom loses. Kids die. It is a sad day for those of us who wish it were otherwise.

But for markets, it becomes a bullish outcome. Markets like stability and predictability. Markets know that kings with armies are stable and reliable. The players in these markets would not like to be born to the common class in those countries. These players like their life in freedom.

But when it comes to their money bets, they are willing to look beyond the suppression of the kids. Markets would rather deal with dependable kings than deplorable kids.

Our professional job deals with the money issues; therefore, we detach emotions from the calculus as best we can. The outcomes in MENA are becoming more predictable. That will last for a while. The suppression will prevail for a while. We are likely to have some time until the next outburst.

For now, the markets will like this trend. We are back in and fully invested.

David R. Kotok, Chairman and Chief Investment Officer

Jahbulon

Re: March 20, 2011 - Cumberland Going Long Again

Post by Jahbulon »

Barron's: Buy Japan Now

Posted: 19 Mar 2011 04:14 AM PDT

Interesting cover on Barron’s this week:

This is hardly a contrary view — I’ve heard from lots of people saying they are doing the same thing.

As mentioned previously, stick with the small cap funds (DFJ, SCJ, and JSC). The large market cap ETF (EWJ) is not the ideal investment for the bounce back (already underway).

Source:
Invest in Japan
LESLIE P. NORTON
Barron’s MARCH 19, 2011

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB500 ... 69008.html

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Last edited by Sarah on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crondanet5

Post by crondanet5 »

Susan Kaplan on the 96.9 Money Show also recommended limited investment in Japan as part of an emerging markets/international investment program. She did suggest investigating mutual funds with offices in Japan because these people would know better what companies to invest in for the best returns. I suspect the JapanETFs take a more shotgun shell approach and buy across the board rather than using good research. That said, I am 50% I Fund just like Prophet.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Last edited by Sarah on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crondanet5

Post by crondanet5 »

Good point, but I could not put myself in a box in case somebody looked at my Fantasy Asset Allocation and wondered why I am allocated 50% in the I Fund. Now they know. Susan did say to those people not currently in Japanese stock funds they should, as you recommend, hold off for a bit longer to better assess the situation. It is grave. Hopefully that whole flock of international swans that passed over the markets the past 12 days are flapping their way out to sea for a while and the I Fund recovers. Then I'll get out. And if things look worse I might get out too-- no greed here and not deadset on making a profit before changing my allocations.

Jahbulon

Post by Jahbulon »

I'm in, but only because I was anticipating a reaction rally. It hasn't paid off as well as I would have liked, and I will probably bail on Monday unless there is strong volume buying taking place.....but I might change my mind too.

I'm not convinced we are not finished going down yet. The NASDAQ showed some serious signs of people selling into weakness on Thursday and Friday. Apple, Netflix, and many of the other old leaders are falling apart and continue to show increasing signs of weakness.

I like to read what Cumberland puts out, but I'm sure they get it wrong sometimes too. If this is a 5-10% pullback, then we have to be getting close, but if it is a 20% or more pullback, then this could still get really ugly from here.

Just my 2 cents, and I'm not expert. If I were I wouldn't be here. :)

Fund Prices2024-05-16

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.25 0.01% 1.62%
F $19.02 -0.21% -1.07%
C $83.03 -0.19% 11.65%
S $81.47 -0.67% 5.68%
I $43.36 -0.38% 7.91%
L2065 $16.55 -0.32% 9.45%
L2060 $16.55 -0.32% 9.46%
L2055 $16.55 -0.32% 9.46%
L2050 $33.02 -0.28% 7.88%
L2045 $15.04 -0.26% 7.49%
L2040 $54.84 -0.24% 7.11%
L2035 $14.46 -0.22% 6.66%
L2030 $48.05 -0.20% 6.23%
L2025 $13.23 -0.11% 4.13%
Linc $25.78 -0.09% 3.50%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".