FantasyTSP and Actual Account Balance

Questions about FantasyTSP or suggestions for improvements should be directed here.

Moderator: Aitrus

TSPking
Site Admin

FantasyTSP and Actual Account Balance

Post by TSPking »

A member has requested the ability to enter his/her actual TSP balance in FantasyTSP: http://tspcenter.com/bugTracker/showreport.php?bugid=12

Is there any interest in this? I thought about it before but always dropped the idea when realizing that the balance would always be off since FantasyTSP could not account for bi-weekly contributions
TSPking

It's a gift...and a curse ~ Adrian Monk

Smorgan

Post by Smorgan »

I've always wondered why there is no venue for reflecting real TSP monthly contributions in the Fantasy TSP. Is there any possibility for doing this in the future? I would also prefer to track my real TSP balance.

TSPking
Site Admin

Post by TSPking »

It can be done fairly easily. I was thinking it would be an optional feature that would be hidden from other members.

The contribution part is where it becomes complicated. The point of tracking actual balance becomes pointless if the actual balance becomes 'not actual' every two weeks due to contributions and government matchings...
TSPking

idiq

Post by idiq »

Damn... I really would like to track my balance, but I do have bi-weekly contributions (plus the automatic 1% even if you don't do bi-weekly contributions).

TSPking
Site Admin

Post by TSPking »

That's the problem. So to handle that, the system would have to know salary (to calculate gov match) and contribution percentage. This could be done, but now we're talking about sensitive information even though membership here is anonymous.

Overtime worked, bonus, pay adjustment or any other anomaly would cause a discrepancy between FantasyTSP balance and actual balance. However this could be dealt with by giving the member the option to reset their 'actual balance' anytime they want.

So in summary, to make this work we would need:

1. allow for actual account balance tracking
2. visibility only to FantasyTSP account holder
3. Update actual account balance anytime option
4. Salary
5. contribution percentage
5. status (military, CIV, retired)

Am I missing anything and is there still interest in this after understanding what's involved?
TSPking

jackyl33

Post by jackyl33 »

Sounds good to me, but can we still have a fantasy account also?

TSPking
Site Admin

Post by TSPking »

jackyl33 wrote:Sounds good to me, but can we still have a fantasy account also?

Yes, the current proposal is that this will be an additional/optional feature that will only be 'private' (only visible to the logged in member).

Everyone will still have the FantasyTSP account balance (the $100,000 start balance) that is viewable by everyone.
TSPking

JayJ

Post by JayJ »

I don't understand why you need to have the actual balance here when you can always easily look that up on the official TSP web site. The value of this site is largely in seeing and analyzing the effect due solely to IFT decisions, separate from the combined effect of all factors including IFTs, and contributions.

RoyTanner

Post by RoyTanner »

I see value in having a chart showing actual balance. TSP website is lacking many features to give adequate information to make infomed decisions

idiq

Post by idiq »

JayJ wrote:I don't understand why you need to have the actual balance here when you can always easily look that up on the official TSP web site. The value of this site is largely in seeing and analyzing the effect due solely to IFT decisions, separate from the combined effect of all factors including IFTs, and contributions.

Sure but suppose you follow 5 people, who have the top 5 returns so far this year... 2 of whom make a TSP allocation change. You're not quite convinced yet. So you make the change on your TSPCenter TSP, but NOT on your actual TSP. The difference would allow you to see the "What If I..." on your actual TSP balance, instead of your 100K TSPCenter Balance... That in turn allows you to make decisions on when to make changes, who to follow closely, etc...

Plus the earlier post on graphs... Where in FFX are you?

Winner

Post by Winner »

TSPking wrote:That's the problem. So to handle that, the system would have to know salary (to calculate gov match) and contribution percentage. This could be done, but now we're talking about sensitive information even though membership here is anonymous.

Overtime worked, bonus, pay adjustment or any other anomaly would cause a discrepancy between FantasyTSP balance and actual balance. However this could be dealt with by giving the member the option to reset their 'actual balance' anytime they want.

So in summary, to make this work we would need:

1. allow for actual account balance tracking
2. visibility only to FantasyTSP account holder
3. Update actual account balance anytime option
4. Salary
5. contribution percentage
5. status (military, CIV, retired)

Am I missing anything and is there still interest in this after understanding what's involved?

Regarding #5 - :oops: as CIV-FERS, I never stick with the exact % or the dollars amount and this year so far I changed 10X out of 15 pp anywhere from from 5%-17% or more on exact amount $300 to $1K (when the market down I contribution more to buy low & when the market up contribution less, but I always keep at least 5%). Other peoples max their contribution at $635 PP and you haven't add the catch up contribution for 50+.
“A brave man knows the circumstances and consequences of what he may encounter ahead…..but moves forward anyway.”

jackyl33

Post by jackyl33 »

Proposed solution: King, If the actual balance tracking is optional, no one should have a problem with potential privacy concerns. If you don't feel comfortable plugging in the numbers don't do it.

jeffvan1

Post by jeffvan1 »

I like it the way it is right now. AND ONLY because as of right now, Cluong02 (Join Date March-09) is the top earner at $175,037.00 and I'm in second place (Join Date Feb 2008) at $157,044.00. My goal is to be the 1st TSP Center participant to double the $100,000.00 investment ( and do it under 5 years). Can't do it if the actual balances are plugged in. And besides, whoever doubles their money first will lose bragging rights if actual balances are plugged in. (And G-d knows I love to brag). ; )

TSPking
Site Admin

Post by TSPking »

jeffvan1 wrote:I like it the way it is right now. AND ONLY because as of right now, Cluong02 (Join Date March-09) is the top earner at $175,037.00 and I'm in second place (Join Date Feb 2008) at $157,044.00. My goal is to be the 1st TSP Center participant to double the $100,000.00 investment ( and do it under 5 years). Can't do it if the actual balances are plugged in. And besides, whoever doubles their money first will lose bragging rights if actual balances are plugged in. (And G-d knows I love to brag). ; )

I see your point. However if we look at setting this up, it would not replace the FantasyTSP account balance. It would be an additional feature that would only be visible by a member who choses to enable it. That member would still have the original FantasyTSP account balance which is not modifiable and exposed to everyone.

BTW, congratulations on reaching 175 in this crap market :lol:
TSPking

EFT

Sorry jeffvan1, but.........

Post by EFT »

Sorry jeffvan1, but I joined in Oct. 08, and have $157,266.12, but then who's counting! Ha! Now I have a goal! :P
As far as being able to track our real account here, as long as it is a choice for people to put sensitive/personal info on line, why not, we're all adults right? I would never do it though.(Post my real account balance)

Fund Prices2024-03-28

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.15 0.05% 1.05%
F $19.08 -0.06% -0.74%
C $82.21 0.11% 10.55%
S $82.43 0.30% 6.92%
I $42.57 -0.24% 5.95%
L2065 $16.38 0.02% 8.37%
L2060 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2055 $16.39 0.02% 8.38%
L2050 $32.73 0.01% 6.95%
L2045 $14.91 0.02% 6.58%
L2040 $54.38 0.02% 6.22%
L2035 $14.34 0.02% 5.79%
L2030 $47.67 0.02% 5.38%
L2025 $13.15 0.03% 3.43%
Linc $25.61 0.03% 2.82%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".