Stocks, Bonds, Precious Metals All Down Big This Afternoon

General TSP Discussion.

Moderator: Aitrus

bloobs

Stocks, Bonds, Precious Metals All Down Big This Afternoon

Post by bloobs »

Analysis? Is it possible everyone who's anyone is hoarding cash?

tspwizard1

Re: Stocks, Bonds, Precious Metals All Down Big This Afterno

Post by tspwizard1 »

Learn to read a chart. It is all overbought. Cannot go up forever. Reality will eventually set in.

stilljammi

Post by stilljammi »

This is what happened in March before the big drop. Hoarding cash is sketchy to me with inflation, but it's better than losing money. Gold dropping so much is interesting, I sold my gold investments last week. I'm making big purchases now, so regardless what happens, I think I'll be good.

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

tspwizard1 wrote:Learn to read a chart. It is all overbought. Cannot go up forever. Reality will eventually set in.
I can read a chart just fine :roll:

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

stilljammi wrote:This is what happened in March before the big drop. Hoarding cash is sketchy to me with inflation, but it's better than losing money.
Cash is at least widely accepted to buy assets on the cheap

stilljammi

Post by stilljammi »

bloobs wrote:
stilljammi wrote:This is what happened in March before the big drop. Hoarding cash is sketchy to me with inflation, but it's better than losing money.
That's right. I see why it's good to be in cash now. I have finally made it to the end of the thought process :lol:

How long do you think this will last? We knew that from now until election day was going to be rocky...but "election day" must now be substituted for "election season". I'm not getting political here: this election is going to be much different than anything we've seen before and will likely become the new normal going forward. Volatility will extend longer than we might hope for. I'm not touching CSI unless we get a whiff of stimulus, which I think is unlikely, but still possible. That'll be a good week of gains before exiting the danger zone.

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Typically the middle through the end of September is very rocky. The first week or 2 of October is like that too. If you add a very hotly contested election, then you will find that the rockiness could continue.

As of whats going on, the Dollar is making a huge comeback in value. That's causing major headaches everywhere. This is in part because there's no stimulus coming. Remember that most countries and central banks are pumping in huge amounts of cash into their markets.

I think the real question is what the outcome will be. Obviously I don't know, but I like a few prognosticators and think they do a pretty decent job of giving prescient advice. I usually check this guy often https://twitter.com/leadlagreport?ref_s ... r%5Eauthor among other people.

bloobs

Post by bloobs »

stilljammi wrote:
bloobs wrote:
How long do you think this will last? We knew that from now until election day was going to be rocky...but "election day" must now be substituted for "election season".... Volatility will extend longer than we might hope for. I'm not touching CSI unless we get a whiff of stimulus, which I think is unlikely, but still possible. That'll be a good week of gains before exiting the danger zone.
Yup.

Round 2 of $1200 checks fell off the table. Powell begged Congress/White House for more fiscal stimulus last week; fell on deaf ears. In essence he telegraphed that there's only so much QE can do to prop up the sinking ship. Also, the increasing likelihood of a rough and fuzzy election night results is now sinking in with investors. Third, less we forget, the core issue of a resurgent COVID in the fall/winter is now afoot based on the latest case count data from across the world.

Our friend Mr. Volatility is back, which sets up an opportunity and risks for short-term trading ahead ("Are you feeling lucky, punk??????") 8-) .

I have looked for price trend patterns between 2020 and past election years and it is inconclusive. No patterns I can hang my bets on.

All outcomes good and bad and in between--are on the table for the rest of the year.

Jay, can you insert an inappropriate meme after this point for levity?

McWinning

Post by McWinning »

bloobs wrote:Analysis? Is it possible everyone who's anyone is hoarding cash?
More likely that leverage trading is pulling back. So fewer people betting with borrowed money.

jlozano042

Post by jlozano042 »

bloobs wrote: Jay, can you insert an inappropriate meme after this point for levity?

Yes sir ......

My recommendation? Pepper your angus!

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Fund Prices2024-04-18

FundPriceDayYTD
G $18.19 0.01% 1.27%
F $18.62 -0.30% -3.14%
C $78.45 -0.21% 5.50%
S $76.12 -0.20% -1.27%
I $40.67 0.02% 1.21%
L2065 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2060 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2055 $15.58 -0.13% 3.04%
L2050 $31.35 -0.13% 2.44%
L2045 $14.32 -0.12% 2.35%
L2040 $52.37 -0.11% 2.29%
L2035 $13.85 -0.10% 2.21%
L2030 $46.21 -0.09% 2.15%
L2025 $12.93 -0.05% 1.72%
Linc $25.28 -0.04% 1.51%

Live Charts

Pending Allocations

Under development. For now, you may view Pending Allocations by going to "fantasy TSP" and selecting "Leaderboard sort" of "Pending Allocations".